Using Vaseline with oxygen

viv1314

Good Moring!

I was surfing other forums and ran across a blog that mentioned you should never use petroleum jelly to aid with a dry nose. I had never heard this and of course was not told this by my oxygen supplier. I have been using vaseline to to keep the inside of my nose moist. The only thing my oxygen supplier told me was not to cook on a gas stove. Has any heard of this? If so, what does it do? I sure I have not caused more damage to my lungs.

viv1314

petro

Oh I definantly will! I continue to be amazed at what my oxygen provider did not tell me. I am still trying to find out what it may have done to me. I cannot find anything except sites that say do not use it.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Viv

Petroleum is flammable and the combination of oxygen and vaseline is dangerous. Like I said I'm no expert but it's a safety reason. You haven't caused yourself any harm.

viv1314

Thanks for your response

Well, I fill a little dumb, I wasn't thinking of the petroleum in that way, does make since now, With COPD I'm always thinking of inhaling something that is damaging to the lungs. Thanks for making it easy to ask questions here.

windless1

Viv: I believe you will find that KY Jelly would be ok to use. It will keep your nose moist but has no petroleum. You might call your pharmasist to be sure. Larry

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
All the little birdies say tweet tweet tweet

Larry - You are correct. Walgreen's brand is much cheaper than KY by the way. I tube feed birds and the rubber tubing has to be put down their throat to do it. I do not use vaseline because of the petroleum in it, but Ky gel or any water based lubricant is just fine.

rosech44

Useing vaseline with 02

Viv----

The vaseline has done no harm to your lungs--my 02 provider told me not to use it, as the 02 could cause the vaseline to burn the inside of the nose--I have used the KY Jelly, and there is also a product on the market called--

RoEzIt--a non petroleum based skin moisturiser--it has Aloe Vera--Emu Oil and Vit.A & E I used to get it at my old supplier, but they don't have it anymore---phone number on tube is---1-866-323-4567

It says on the tube--- Can be effective in treating nasal dryness---

Rose

Bev12452

ayr

Viv when my nose starts to get dry I use a product called Ayr and does the trick don't yo have a bottle for water on your machine so that your nose stays moist I don't but I can get one if I need it maybe someone on the forum knows what it is called but it connects directly to your concentrator and provides a mist to your nose to prevent the dryness my nose is always running so moistness is the last thing I need I should own stock in Kleenex Have a good day Bev in FL

viv1314

response

Thanks everyone,
I do not have the spray mist on my concentrator, I may have to look into it, I just heard you have to really keep it clean so you don't get infection to lungs.

Connie Golden

Vaseline etc.

Several years ago, the respiratory therapist told my rehab group never to use vaseline or any non soluble in your nose because of possible blockage. There are lots of saline sprays to choose from. Connie

zar

Petroleum based products such as Vaseline should be avoided because they are anhydrous,
meaning they contain no water. Anhydrous products can seal in potentially harmful bacteria
causing infection. Aspiration of petroleum products or harmful bacteria is also a risk resulting in
the possibility of an individual developing exogenous lipoid pneumonia. Vaseline and other
petroleum based products are hygroscopic as well, meaning they actually absorb or draw water
out of the tissues leaving them drier than prior to application. These products are known to be
contraindicating to use with oxygen as they can break down plastic eliciting sparks from the
oxygen, putting a person at risk for burns
-----------------
It should not be used on fresh burns of any kind, including sunburn. Petrolatum traps heat inside, worsening burns. After heat has dissipated, however, it can serve as a dressing for minor burns to soothe later pain.[1]
Nasal congestion or dryness
It may immobilize the cilia in the nose, impeding its ability to clean incoming air. As well, if small particles of petrolatum are inhaled from the nose, they may deposit in the lungs and lead to a condition called lipid pneumonia.[2][3]

http://www.answers.com/topic/petroleum-jelly?cat=health#wp-_note-1

viv1314

Zar

Thanks Zar, Your information was greatly appreciated. I will not be using vaseline for anything in the future.