Update

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Las Vegas or Bust

Pat - I think anyone celebrating number 80 or 30 or 40 or whatever, really needs to go to the Chippendale dancers show. Leave your grandson somewhere, it's not for him! I got married in Las Vegas in June many years ago, no less. Hotter than you know what. My future mother-in-law was on a streak and barely made the wedding. The man that was to give me away was hiding in the bushes from his wife because he was smoking and she thought he quit. He almost missed the wedding. I was getting a pedicure and I almost missed it. We all somehow got there and the wedding proceeded. Such fun memories. I think I heard somewhere that Celine Dion has left Las Vegas if anyone is a fan.

Howard

Three Month Update

The past three months (or has it been years since the last cold one?) since treatment and things seem to be rocking along rather smoothly. Hungry for real food? Yes. Tired of all the pills? Yes. But patience will win out in the end. Last time I mentioned dropping my O? levels gradually and the results are ok, I guess, with my limited knowledge. I remove the hose when I go to bed about 9:00 p.m (our time) and leave it alone until after I shower in the morning. I have it set on 1 L and that is where it stays for most of the day. I run it up to 2 for my walk on the treadmill and for when I get bogged down in some other stressful situation. As Dr. F said in the first Ask the Doctor installment, ? The target is to gradually try to reduce or eliminate these medications (Albuterol, Advair, etc.) after stem cell treatment. The biggest goal is to see the gradual reduction or stopping of supplemental oxygen?. SATs run in the mid 90's...98 when just sitting, 92-94 walking around. I don?t want them to get below 90 (my opinion only). I do try to stay calm and pretty quiet and just let them little fellers do their work without any undue outside influence. Of course, with Congress gone home for awhile I have no idea what this C-span junkie is going to do to keep amused. Might even have to do something constructive.

A couple of days ago my hospice preacher and social worker dropped by and I asked for their opinion on how things have changed over the last three months. Both of them agreed that my skin is showing a more natural look, not ?ashy? like it was. The preacher added that I looked more ?dignified? (How about that, Barb?}, that I sat up straighter and talked with more confidence. Nurse says that she is hearing good movement of air just not enough of it yet. I have all the confidence in the world that this is gonna work.

I wish I had something more positive to report, but considering where I was three months and one day ago, this is a very positive report.

Merry CHRISTMAS to all, y?all!

rosech44

Great News Howard

You Are Doing Great----to Go All Night Without 02 Is Remarkable, I Am On A BI-pap Machine, So Not Sure If I'll Ever Get Rid Of It At Night, Completely. I Too Am Tired Of All The Pills, And Wanting Real Food---but, Will Continue On, As Ordered. My Goal Is To Get Rid Of The Advair And Spireva--so Expensive, The Saving Would Pay For The Treatment---lol

Keep Improving, And Don't Get Too Bored With Out C-span

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Way to go Howard

Excellent report Howard. I am pleased to hear that you can go all night with no O2 and then wake up and still do some more things before using it. That is downright fantastic. I realize this doesn't mean that you are out shooting hoops or jogging for a few miles, but people who are have been as sick as most of us realize that this is a great milestone. Keep it up. I hope Santa brings you some nice tofu for your stocking. I just had to add that. Sorry.

Howard

4th Month

Hello, y'all,

Since my last report (December 20, 2007) I continue to show improvement albeit barely noticeable now. About the only way I can measure any change is by checking my SATs more often and I am finding that they are more ?level?...94-98. With the O2 almost entirely on 1 Lpm, even on the treadmill, I don?t get below 96. I still walk 10 minutes, break 3 minutes, walk 10 etc for a total of 30 minutes walking time 5 or 6 days a week. Which brings me to something that someone may have some ideas about. At about the 7 minute mark or so, my nose begins to run. I can hold out to the 10 minute mark and then I have to stop. I have been taking Claritin in the morning, Singular in the evening, and a nasal inhaler (all prescribed) for several years. I started to also take Mucinex in early December on the advice of my pulmo but nothing seems to work. We have removed all the carpet, and other dust catchers around the house plus run two BIG HEPA filters to try to keep the air ?pure?. Indoor humidity hovers around 30%. Any suggestions? (Besides making fans out of tofu and when they fill up with dust bunnies, fry ?em in pork fat, and send ?em to Emeril) When I am just sitting, doing nothing (I do that good), I lay the O2 aside and may take a short walk or two just to see what happens...sometimes good, sometimes not...but we are working on Dr. F?s goals.

The doc at the VA was pleased with what appears to be a lowering of blood pressure although it was in the ?safe? range pre-treatment. It is now at or about the ideal. Otherwise, I am patiently waiting for all those little cells to do their work and look forward to my sixth month anniversary. I feel good, I am happy and I will never regret the decision to get the treatment.

My next PFT will be the 12th of February and I will report again after that.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Howard nose best

Howard - Your nose story is like my mom's. Out of the blue, her nose started running usually after a meal. We talked to her doctor who wanted to put her on Flonase. I said absolutely not and we didn't. I have since made sure she takes her multi vitamin daily and her runny nose problem seems to have vanished. It is the strangest thing, but I also learned from someone else that nose sprays made the problem worse and that was one reason I said no for my mom. That and the fact I had been on Flonase and had lots of side effects. Go figure that nose sprays can aggravate the condition you are trying to alleviate. I would say just experiment a little and not take the Claritan and Singulair and the nose spray on an alternating basis if you really want to try an elimination test. I look forward to hearing about your test results. Thanks for your post.

Lee

Nose

Howard - I have the same nose problem and have for a long time. I go to the pulmonary rehab and on the bike I may make it to 15 min, but on the treadmill I usually have to stop and blow my nose at least once in 20 min. It is rather embarrassing. Also if I am doing any work around the house my nose runs. My doctor told me the only thing that can be done is to remove some of the tissue in the nose and you don't want that. I thought I was alone with this problem. It's hard to work with a handkerchief in one hand half the time.
Let us know if you find an answer.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Nobody nose nothing

Lee - Do you use any nose sprays? My mom used to get so embarrassed. It was really awful for her, so I can sympathize with you guys. Like I said, hers has gone away completely and she was plagued by it for quite some time. Very strange for sure as she doesn't use O2 or anything and for sure she doesn't exercise. She avoids it like the plague! Maybe, someone else will have an idea.

Howard - You are doing great on your treadmill it sounds like. What mph do you use? To only have to use 1lpm is very good I think.

Howard

Lee and Barbara

Amen, Lee, trying to work with a handkerchief in one hand. Barbara, I have tried all of your suggestions if there is a mulltivitamin in the multitude of pills I am taking it. I'll have to ask the boss, nurse, cook, laundress, housekeeper, pill-pusher Susan if I am or not. All the things that I have been taking have been prescribed by various Docs to be the cure for the runny nose. I have cut back, quit them, alternated them, shot 'em with a sling shot and nothing works. The VA Doc is supposed to be sending me something to replace the Claritin. We will see how this works when it gets here in the mail.

Treadmill. Since I am not training to be a marathoner, I am doing the same regimen that I did 4 months ago when I had the O2 set on three and one half to four Lpm...1.6 mph and cover .8 of a mile. Like I said I think I could do a little bit better except for my problem. Only the nose knows. Pun intended.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Who really nose?

I think your treadmill progress is outstanding. Now, if you can only get the nose to quit running at the same speed. I will tell you that my mom's just vanished after I took her off the meds and gave her the multi vitamin. Maybe, it is just something that will go away one day for you too. It is almost like your nose is sweating as you work out. Very, very odd.

Susan

Question

Which multi-vitamin did you suggest for your Mother that cleared up her nasal problem?

Also, a question for the next Ask the Doctor segment - We have been hearing about Glutathione treatment. Is it something that would be safe to try for COPD?

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Hi Susan

I can't answer the multivitamin question but I can answer your glutiathione question. I bought pure lquid glutiathione last year and tried it for a few weeks. I didn't notice a difference other than it made me dizzy. The only things that have made a difference to me were the Genf20 and a new product that we are still testing that we will probably announce here soon.

We are still testing it so I don't want to jump the gun yet.

Lee

Barbara - The only nose spray I use is saline now and then, but if someone knows of something that works I'll give it a try. I am thinking about trying the mucinex nose spray. That will probably make it worse.
I was glad to see your update Howard. Hope you find an answer to our nose problem.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Nose woes

I just give my mom a senior multi vitamin. I also took her off of all of her meds and it went away. I have no clue if she was deficient in something or what, but it worked. She is now dripless. She never used a nose spray, but sometimes I think they can aggravate the condition. Lee and Howard - Is yours seasonal at all or just all the time when you exercise?

hlichten

Super Moderator
As someone with a nose....

Sorry, just kidding, but I could not stay out of this totally.

I don't suffer from any acute respiratory issues, although I do use steroid nasal sprays and steroid inhalers for allergies.

One of the biggest issues with most nasal sprays is the "rebound" issue:
The spray helps the breathing, but then you get worse than before after it starts to wear off. Just as an example, the couple of times I have used sprays like Afrin, I felt like I was getting hooked on a narcotic! You can't use it a few times and then stop, because your breathing is then worse.

I don't know how relevant this is to the current discussion, but I hope your issues improve!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
No one really nose

Harv - You bring up a good point. People actually do get addicted. I remember reading about this on a forum and on a website. I personally think saline is the best way to go for a dry nose and for allergies stick with capsules you swallow. I had so many problems with Flonase including being totally hoarse all the time. I supposedly don't have any allergies when my latest pulmo checked me out, so why was another doctor thinking I needed a nasal spray for allergies? I'm afraid some doctors are just drug happy.

hlichten

Super Moderator
...I'm afraid some doctors are just drug happy.

And drugs are all that most doctors have to offer. The best doctors know when NOT to offer drugs, IMHO.

Case in point:
Have you ever been to a doctor with a probable virus, only to have them write an Rx for an antibiotic to "cover" for a "secondary bacterial infection"???

This happens primarily because people who go to the doctor with an illness, and leave the doctor's office without a prescription in hand feel like they have gone to the doctor for no reason.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Too many drugs

I do believe that what Harv says is the reason that many bacteria are now becoming so resistant to antibiotics. It is a real problem for sure. I think it is time for a new revolution in medicine.

hlichten

Super Moderator
I do believe that what Harv says is the reason that many bacteria are now becoming so resistant to antibiotics. It is a real problem for sure. I think it is time for a new revolution in medicine.
Yes, exactly.
Also, unnecessary antibiotic treatments deplete your intestinal flora (the good bacteria in your bowels), lead to yeast and fungal infections, etc.