Two Month Update

Howard

It?s been two months and I can only agree with Jeannine and Barbara?s book...patience, patience, patience. My hospice nurse is saying that she is ?hearing? more and more movement and that I am breathing ?easier?. I guess she means I am not panting like a puppy anymore and she is right.

Not long ago Chris had a post on the forum about too much O2 can be nearly as bad a too little. I had been playing with that in my mind before I read Chris? post, so I decided to experiment. I am now sleeping without it for the most part and sometimes do wake up short of breath but I keep everything handy. Several times this past couple of weeks I have been able to do my morning ablutions (not shower yet) without the ?nose hose?. I have not had the concentrator above 2 lpm during this time. Even on the treadmill I have been able to do the same distance (.8 of a mile) at 1.6 mph with three minute breaks every ten minutes. Before my experiment I had the O2 set at 3? to 4 and had to take longer breaks. I see this as progress. I am walking around the farm a little farther and farther between rest stops. I have been working on the pecans 2 to 3 hours a day whereas last year I didn?t even bother to pick them up.

The real test will come on the third of December when I visit the Doc for my quarterly PFT. I am looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time. I wanna blow that little machine across the room!

The REAL, REAL test comes this week when the family shows up, beginning today, and will stay through Saturday. Turkey (ok), Ham (yum, drool, drool), Ribs (yum, drool, drool) and all that other stuff. I think I?m gonna cry!

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Howard

I'm so glad you're seeing improvements. You will continue to see improvements and I agree that the patience required is too much at times.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
A little goodie basket for Howard

Howard - I hope you are continuing to feel better and that you made it through all the temptation of Thanksgiving. I wanted to tell you Happy Birthday and let you know that I am sending you a tofu gift basket. I know you will love it. Have a happy day and give yourself a little slack because you deserve it.

Howard

It's good.

It's good that it is the thought that counts. You see, our organically grown, free range turkeys attacked the UPS guy and made off with the basket. Oh my! Such a loss.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Howard

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Howard talks turkey

Howard - Which loss are you bemoaning? The turkeys, the UPS guy or the fabulous, one of a kind tofu basket I sent you? I hope you had a great day, no matter which of the three you were talking about.

rosech44

Great News Howard

SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE NOTICING IMPROVEMENTS, PATIENCE IS THE KEY WORD, LAST COUPLE OF DAYS MY NUMBERS ARE DOWN A BIT, MUST BE THE DOWN HILL RIDE ON THE ROLLER COASTER----

BY THE WAY--I BOUGHT TOFU!!!!! :eek: WHETHER OR NOT I EAT IT, IS YET TO BE SEEN!!!!! LOL

Howard

Bemoaning

Howard - Which loss are you bemoaning? The turkeys, the UPS guy or the fabulous, one of a kind tofu basket I sent you? I hope you had a great day, no matter which of the three you were talking about.

Bemoaning the dog, of course.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
This is turning into a good thread. Harv acknowledges that the turkeys are eating healthy if they took the tofu and Rose broke down and bought some. Granted, she is just looking at it in her refrigerator, but to actually buy some has taken some courage on her part. I think you will find that since it really doesn't have much of a taste, that it will blend right in with whatever you are making. You don't have to taste something yucky and you get the benefit of a very healthful food. Just ask those turkeys if you don't believe me. Of course, you have to find them first.

Howard

More, and more

Sorry you did not ask about the dog. You see, Susan was doing the laundry when the UPS driver came up. Well, our old dog just loves that UPS truck to death and as soon as the door slides open he (the dog) jumps on board and sniffs all the packages hoping that one day he (the dog) might get a package of Omaha Steaks. When the ruckus began outside the truck, ol? dog decided he (the dog) needed to check on what was happening. He (the dog) bounded out of that truck and saw that turkey with the goods. Up to that turkey he (the dog) went and tried to snatch the package away. The turkey, being meaner than the dog because of its (the turkey?s) diet pecked that dog right on his (the dog?s) black, shiny nose. The dog jumped backwards and slammed into the wash pot Susan had hanging over the fire (pronounced ?far?) and splashed some of that boiling water and lye soap on his rear end. The last time we saw him, he (the dog) was headed West towards the Mississippi River. The turkey feeling proud of himself gobbled down that tofu and began to choke. He (the turkey) got himself a big drink of water and began to bloat. He (the turkey) grew bigger and bigger and the next thing you know he (the turkey) was floating over the trees without flapping a wing. The UPS guy thanked us politely for our business and suggested we use FEDEX next time as he (the UPS guy) drove off in a cloud of dust.

This entire week I have been showering without oxygen. Of course, I have to rest part way through, but only once. Anxiety is setting in for next Monday's first PFT since the treatment.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Howard - I had avoided asking about the dog for reasons that I think are obvious to everyone. You do sound like you are making good progress, however, make sure the medicinal mushrooms that are advised on the post stem cell diet are not the other kind of mushrooms that cause strange things to happen, like turkeys flying without flapping a wing and UPS drivers actually venturing forth into the swampland where you live. Sorry, to give you the bad news as I am sure the mushrooms you were innocently eating were quite a nice addition to the otherwise rather dull tofuish diet, but the side effects can make someone come and take you away.

Pat Chronister

Pioneer Member
shower without oxy

Showering without a hose companion - great news. How was your saturation level? 6 more days and I'm off to Mexico for treatment. Pat C.

Howard

Uuuuuh?

Howard - I had avoided asking about the dog for reasons that I think are obvious to everyone. You do sound like you are making good progress, however, make sure the medicinal mushrooms that are advised on the post stem cell diet are not the other kind of mushrooms that cause strange things to happen, like turkeys flying without flapping a wing and UPS drivers actually venturing forth into the swampland where you live. Sorry, to give you the bad news as I am sure the mushrooms you were innocently eating were quite a nice addition to the otherwise rather dull tofuish diet, but the side effects can make someone come and take you away.
Only Susan knows for sure...........

Howard

It does feel good

Showering without a hose companion - great news. How was your saturation level? 6 more days and I'm off to Mexico for treatment. Pat C.
Nice not to have to fight that hose all the time. My oximeter broke which may be s blessing. Good luck on your treatment. You'll never regret it.

chris63

howard progress

Howard --glad to see that you are making better progress and that the treatment is working slowly but surly good for you--Also glad to see that you tried my recommendation and that it worked for you. by the way I have set my appt. with dr. for interview and will be doing the stem cell therapy hopefully by the first of the year I'm getting excited about that and hope that my results will progess like everyone else. will keep you posted.

chris63

inspiration

To all of the members--I want to tell you how much of an inspiration you have been to me over the past few months. It has helped me to decide to have the treatment. It decidely is much better than the alternative. I eill keep you a posted on when i will be going. Glad all of you had a very blessed thanksgiving and i hope all of you have a blessed Christmas and Hannauck.

Bev12452

no o2

Howard I am so excited to hear about your showering without the o2 I just made it into the shower wit o2 and no sob now the next step is to lose the hose hopefully I won't be too far behind enjoy reading your posts they make a down down funny keep up the good work

rosech44

Shower

I am anjoying my showers without SOB, but, I am using 02 and don't intend to lose it anytime too soon. sat's still go down, I just don't gasp for air when I'm done---

Howard

Answer to those above

Pat: Got my new oximeter yesterday...sat pre-shower 94, post shower 90. This is after resting all night and moving quite slowly and carefully and sitting and resting for a few minutes during the process. I had to take a short rest even with the oxygen. But stubborn old me decided it could be done and I did it. I would worry if the sat got below 90 because I don't want to deprive those little "remodelers" down there.

Pat and Chris: Good luck and tell all at SCB and the Clinic hello.

Rose: I don't blame you. Whatever works. Enjoy your life, that's what we paid our money for:)

rosech44

2 Month Update

Well, Today, It Is 2 Month's---nothing Outstanding To Report, 02 Staying In The Mid To High 90's At Rest, Dropping To Low 90's High 80's With Exertion, But Extremely Fast Recovery, And No Gasping For Air. Have Been Able To Get Out And Do Some Christmas Shopping, Without Sob, Just Tired When Finished. Might Enjoy Christmas This Year. Trying Hard Not To Get To Impatient, Wishing For More, And Knowing It Will Come----
Very Glad I Made The Decision To Go For The Cells.

STILL HAVEN'T EATEN THAT TOFU!!!!!