Stem cells restore tissue affected by acute lung injury

danny

* I bet this also works for damaged lungs, not just ALI (just need more cells and injections)..

Stem cells restore tissue affected by ALI
ATS 2010, NEW ORLEANS? Human stem cells administered intravenously can restore alveolar epithelial tissue to a normal function in a novel ex vivo perfused human lung after E. coli endotoxin-induced acute lung injury (ALI), according to research from the University of California San Francisco.

The findings will be reported at the ATS 2010 International Conference in New Orleans.

ALI is a common cause of respiratory failure in the intensive care units, often leading to death. It can be caused by both direct injury such as aspiration and pneumonia, and indirect injury such as sepsis and from trauma. ALI is characterized by diffuse bilateral infiltrates on chest x-ray, hypoxemia and both lung endothelial and epithelial injury. Because ALI causes injury to the alveolar epithelium, it impairs its ability to reabsorb pulmonary edema fluid from the airspaces of the lung. Yearly, ALI affects approximately 200,000 patients in the US and has a 40 percent mortality rate despite extensive investigations into its causes and pathophysiology. Innovative therapies are desperately needed.

To determine whether stem cell therapy given intravenously would be able to repair the damaged alveolar epithelium, researchers used right human lungs that had been declined for transplantation by the Northern California Transplant Donor Network. The lungs were perfused with whole blood and ventilated with continuous positive airway pressure. The researchers then infused the right middle lung with endotoxin, which induces acute lung injury. One hour following injury, clinical grade human mesenchymal stem cells (hMSC)?those that are derived from bone marrow of healthy adults? were given intravenously.

"We found that intravenous infusion of clinical grade cryo-preserved allogeneic hMSC were effective in restoring the capacity of the alveolar epithelium to resolve pulmonary edema when given after the establishment of E. coli endotoxin-induced acute lung injury in an ex vivo perfused human lung preparation," explained Jae-Woo Lee, M.D., who led the study in the laboratory of Michael A. Matthay, M.D. "In addition, we found that intravenous infusion of hMSC preferentially homed to the injured areas of the lung, which means that the cells find their way from the bloodstream to the sites in the lung of injury."

Prior research from the group focused on delivering stem cells intrabronchially. Importantly, in this study, the group found that intravenous delivery of hMSC worked as well as intrabronchial administration. Intravenous administration would be preferred in critically ill mechanically ventilated patients with ALI because bronchoscopy may lead to transient problems with oxygenation and ventilation.

In addition to having restored function of alveolar epithelial cells, lungs treated with hMSC showed a reduction in inflammatory cytokine, IL-1 and IL-8, levels suggesting a favorable shift away from a proinflammatory environment in the injured alveolus.

"These results suggest that the intravenous route would be ideal for potential clinical trials of hMSC for severe acute lung injury, a syndrome of acute respiratory failure in critically ill patients that is associated with 40 percent mortality," said Dr. Lee.

"These results extend our recent publication, which demonstrated that hMSC may have therapeutic potential clinically in patients with severe acute lung injury. We need to do more experiments with testing the effect of hMSC against live bacterial induced lung injury in the perfused human lung and now advance to doing Phase I and II safety and efficacy studies in patients."

carmen868

Thanks Danny

This is great news, and should hasten the treatment for all types of lung disease, don't you think? What is the take of the doctors onthis forum, I wonder? Any one else care to reply?

zee

Great News But

I too think this is great news and my question is what took them so long? There are already published findings in actual human trials, in other countries, using adult stem cells for treatment of Emphsema.

Great to see our local folks have given this approach some credibility. However, I am wondering why they don't proceed to human trials? You would think they would be immediately starting a human trial wouldn't you?

There is long list of mouse studies dating back more than six years that demonstrate damaged lungs can be repaired with stem cells. So what is the holdup?

:eek:

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Here's some additional details on this treatment. I think the key is to use MSC cells

Stem Cells for Lungs?
(Ivanhoe Newswire) -- Human stem cells may one day be a treatment for those suffering from an acute lung injury (ALI). New research shows the cells may restore tissue to its normal function.

ALI is a common reason for respiratory failure in intensive care units and can often lead to death. Some causes may include aspiration, pneumonia, sepsis, or trauma. Each year, ALI affects about 200,000 people in the United States and has a 40 percent mortality rate

Investigators from the University of California, San Francisco used human lungs that had been declined for transplantation to conduct their study. The researchers infused the lungs with endotoxin, which induces ALI. One hour following the injury, they intravenously delivered clinical grade human mesenchymal stem cells, which are derived from the bone marrow of healthy adults.

Results showed the stem cells restored alveolar epithelial tissue. The infusion of stem cells also homed to the injured areas of the lung, which means the cells found their way from the bloodstream to the sites in the injured lung. The intravenous therapy worked as well as intrabronchial administration, which is important because bronchoscopy could lead to problems in some critically ill patients.

"These results suggest that the intravenous route would be ideal for potential clinical trials of human mesenchymal stem cells for severe acute lung injury, a syndrome of acute respiratory failure in critically ill patients?," Jae-Woo Lee, M.D., who led the study, was quoted as saying.

SOURCE: ATS 2010 International Conference in New Orleans, May 2010

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=24271

JC the Fox

Msc

Osiris used mesenchymal stem cells in their COPD study - and they did not have the success they had expected. Any reason why this study is different?

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
My opinion is Osiris needed to do the treatment on a regular basis (possibly weekly for 6 months) and not just once or twice. I think there aren't enough MSC cells in one treatment to affect any noticeable diference.

JC the Fox

How much is enough?

For the record, the Osiris COPD trial was for four infusions, one month apart. I don't know how many cells were in each infusion; however, weekly injections for 6 months (24 infusions) would have to be extremely expensive.

It will be interesting to see how much a single dose of Prochymal costs, once it is approved for GVHD or Crohn's Disease.

danny

$5,000 a dose I would think. Compared to other doctors charging crazy 65K cost for treatments you could get 13 treatments (3 months cells 1 per week).

zee

Stem Cells, Osiris, Hot Air Baloons, and Little Green Men

As a naive victim of the US medical delivery system and a person with a right lung that is completely obstructed, I have noticed a few things:

The UCSF study is not intended to be a proof of concept, but an affirmation of an existing technology that was discredited, or at least deemed not as efficient as direct lung injection. Please note that Dr. Lee points out that "injection into the arm was as good as injecting directly into the lungs." Some of you may recall Dr. Wadell's Canadian publications on mouse models that indicate direct lung injection was better than injecting into the arm.

With respect to Osiris and other stem cell practitioners , there has been little if any type of discussion as to the range of bone marrow derived stem cells that might work. As most of you know, there are many different genes that can be culprits with COPD. You can have neutrophilic inflammation, eonsonophilic inflammation, both, or neither. I am wondering if the type of inflammation you have is based on a certain type of gene and if the stem cell repair will be a different type of technology for each gene culprit?

As someone who has been following this forum for a year, I have seen a multitude of animal studies that demonstrate benefit, but only one opinion from a doctor in Argentina that indicates what types of bone marrow derived stem cells he is using. Ultimately peer reviewed studies where researchers publish what they did will help guide the public as to what options are viable, but also discredit those who seek to obtain money from patients without providing benefit.

As it stands, I am not aware of any published opinion on human studies except Dr. Vina's. I have heard of other studies, such as the ones done by Osiris, but where is the published opinion?

Zee

JC the Fox

ALI and COPD

My question about the difference in the studies was directed toward anyone who might have sufficient knowledge, inasmuch as I am not medically inclined nor educated. I know that when I applied for the Osiris COPD study, there was a really comprehensive set of criteria that one had to meet before being accepted. Having COPD - and not some other type of lung/respiratory ailment - was one of the big issues addressed. Perhaps mesenchymal stem cells work for the repair of injured tissue, but not for the type of damage caused by disease.

zee

Osiris

I am not familiar with the inclusion/exclusion criteria of Osiris but would really appreciate hearing from you as to what they want or did not want. This might help the rest of us lay folks understand what might work.

Zee
;)

JC the Fox

Criteria

I don't have the paperwork for all the questions I was asked; however, they basically narrowed the participants down to those who had "classic" COPD - i.e., emphysema and/or chronic bronchitis. Asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, and other conditions would have been cause for non-acceptance. As I recall, I was asked if I had the inherited type of emphysema (which I did not). Age was also a factor - one had to be over 40, less than 80.

After passing those requirements, I was sent to a local cardiologist, who performed ultra-sound tests. I was told that any heart problems would be cause for rejection, but my heart showed no signs of failure, and I was then subjected to the pulmonary function tests.

The last criterion was that the FEV1 had to be at least 30% (with bronchodilator). Mine, unfortunately, was a couple of points below that, so I was not accepted.

zee

Much work needs to be done

There seems to be a bias in the medical community towards Emphysema. Unless you have emphysema, they don't even call it COPD and the few trials that exist are geared towards emphysema from smoking.

Much work needs to be done.