One year today

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Today is my one year anniversary so this means it is Jeannine's too. Happy Anniversary Jeannine! It has been a wild year for sure. I wish I could report that I am training for the Olympics, but I haven't gotten that far - YET. Being one of the first people to ever receive umbilical cord stem cell therapy for COPD was both exciting and also a challenge. There was no one to talk to that I knew of that had similar treatment except Jeannine. We honestly had no idea what to expect and were not given any information from the company where we went as to what might happen. We seemed to follow a pattern fairly closely as far as progression and regression so we could at least compare notes. It was and still is at times a huge roller coaster ride. I used to suffer from SOB 24/7 and I was always one to catch every respiratory ailment that came along and then I would hang onto it for months. This led to a life on my couch and a lot of depression. After stem cell therapy, I found I had a new outlook on life. I was more energetic, my focus was on what the next day would bring as far as improvements and I felt I still had a shot at a life worth living. I am still seeing small improvements at my one year mark which I am told means the cells can still be replicating. I was SOB free until right before Christmas when it came back with a vengeance. I had no other symptoms however. It took several trying weeks of using many supplements and the PowerLung until I was blue in the face to get rid of it, but I didn't even feel the need to go to the doctor or use any antibiotics or steroids. I just didn't feel ill at all, just SOB. After that episode, I am back to very little SOB, but I still cannot shake the O2 which is still a goal I have. I may try a booster, I really don't know at this point. I have been in touch with another stem cell company that is using a new cell formulation that sounds very promising and this may be my choice if it could lead me to be O2 free. If I had to choose between being SOB 24/7 and catching everything that came along vs. having to use O2, I would certainly opt for the continued use of O2. I am energized now, my O2 needs are much less than they were and I feel good. I don't have to guess how I will feel tomorrow because I already know. I have no regrets that I chose to try stem cell therapy in its infancy. I will continue to try to help others in their quest and I fervently hope that the anal government officials in my country and others that are hindering stem cell research and treatment are replaced by representatives that truly care about us that suffer from chronic disease and injury. We need to demand that treatment be made legal NOW. As for the naysayers that have constantly felt the need to critique my life, I feel very proud to have made the first steps towards helping them to a better life. Someone has to be first. I also want to thank all the forum participants who are helping with the quest for the cure with me.

rosech44

Barb & Jeannine

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!

And Thank You Both For Being Pioneers, And Opening The Door To My Getting The Cells---I Wish You Continued Improvement. This Forum Has Been Very Informative And Helpful To Many Of Us. I Am Glad To Be Able To Be A Part Of It---I Like You, Wish Our Government Would Wake Up, And Realize That With Their Cooperation, Many Of Us Could Be Saved From A Horrible Disease.

Thankyou

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Happy Anniversary Barb!!

I would have posted eralier but I went to my Mom's birthday party this afternoon - something I would have been unable to do one year ago.

In March 2007, I had been contemplating being placed on long-term disability and applying for SS Disability. I was sure I had less than 3 years to live because simply walking from my car to my office (less than 50 feet) left me short of breath. I never went shopping or our to dinner because the thought of walking more than 10 feet was terrifying to me.

Flash forward to today, April 5 2008. I wake up each morning feeling the same way - pretty good. I am not going to be running marathons (I couldn't do it even in my 20s) but I certainly feel better than I have for the past 3 years.

My oxygen use was 24/7 last year. I now use oxygen about 8 hours a day. I rarely get short of breath and I use an inhaler first thing in the morning (for some reason) and don't need one the rest of the day. A year ago I was using an inhaler every four hours and that was often not enough.

No I am not cured, but I can't think of any other procedure or medication that could cause as much as improvement as I have experienced.

I do not exercise, nor diet (although I should), I do take supplements which I find a wonderful addition to my health, stamina, energy and immunity. Anyone with COPD should consider taking supplements. I haven't been sick since my lousy bout last April when Barb and I caught a nasty cold while we were in San Diego after treatment. I haven't missed a day of work for illness since. I can make plans and not have to live from day to day wondering if I will feel well enough.

I can go out to dinner, shopping, movies, travel. Pretty much do anything short of running a mile. I have plans to visit Dollywood in June and I won't need to worry about it being too much for me.

Some may try to belittle stem cell treatment but I do know that I would not be sitting here writing this without needing oxygen right now if I hadn't gone for treatment.

For anyone who can afford it - I say all you have to lose is money. For those people who followed us on this adventure namely Mary Jo, Rose, Bev, John, Larry, Nelson, Audie, BJ, Howard and others whose names I can't seem to remember right now I say thank you for being adventurers too.

As Barb mentioned here, we believe there is a new clinic that will be available shortly. We will keep you posted on the details as soon as we have definite information.

Bev12452

Congratulations Girls

I know I am a real pain in the a with all my whining but I really am doing better and it is because of you both and your willingness to post about your procedure it has given alot of us a chance we wouldn't have had I guess my expectations were too far up to actually happen but I still have time and it took me longer than 6 months to get this way so I need to practice patience thank you both for everything you have done for the rest of us that follow your lead and I for one will follow to the clinic if there is a chance to lose the chain enjoy your day

Achillian

Belated Happy Anniversary

Barbara and Jeannine,
Belated happy anniversary. I did think of you yesterday but didn't get a chance to post a message.
Thank you both for being Pioneers and especially for setting up this friendly forum. Thank you for your generosity in trying to help others.
I hope you both continue to improve.
Anne ( in a snowy Ireland!)

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Bev

You are not a pain. You have a great outlook on life and aren't willing to give up. We are all here to get advice and give advice when we can. Don't ever feel that you are a pain.

Mysty119

Happy Anniversary

I definitely thought about you guys yesterday because your anniversary date happens to be my daughter's birthday!!!
Thank you both soooooo much for being our leaders!!! Because of you guys, we don't have to feel "alone" and anxious about the treatments, as much as you did. You've been very helpful and gracious about answering all the questions that you could.
I just told myself a few days ago, that I was very lucky because I hadn't gotten sick (cold, etc) since last April! Spoke too soon. Got me a good one this time! You know, the kind where you have to wear the O2 24/7 when you normally don't. The kind where you tire so badly just to dress or undress. The scary kind, where you get anxious because of your fear. I have some gastric testing lined up this week and next and will have to change the dates now. There's no way that I'd feel comfortable going to the hospital for these tests alone. Not feeling like I do now. But----I digress. (sp?)
Thanks for always being there for us!!!!:)