Mucolytic agent Acetylcysteine

Everett

I have been introduced to a mucolytic agent that cuts the mucus from the bronchioles and frees up the exchange of gases in the lungs. I have used it once-----period. I thought that it was going to choke me down. The brand name is Mucomyst 20%-10ml. I will say that by the time I could get my breath again it was easier to breathe. At this time I have some 50 ml. of the solution and am supposed to inhale 3 ml. three times a dasy. That is 9 ml./ a day and I have enough for some 5.555 days but I think I am going to have to discuss this with the good Dr. S before I jump into it again. Maybe if I cut it down to 10% with maybe dilute sterile salt solution it would be better.I will have to keep the Ph at 7 so as not to irritate the lungs. I think I irritate them enough as it is. I will keep you posted as to what I find out. I had thought about asking the pharmacist at the Pharmaceutical manufacuterer what he would do to dilute it down.
The salt pipe that has been posted sounds like it would help. I do use opthalmic saline solution in my nebulizer and it helps. Dr. S is not in favor of using it very often. He says it becomes an irritant so I go by his advice and not use it very often at all.
Has anyone else tried the mucolytic yet? What effect did it have one you?
Everett

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Everett

I have used it and it is very similar to using Glutathione. Same smell too. I diluted mine with Saline (about 1/4 is saline) and the first few times you use it it does make you short of breath, but if you use your inhaler it will clear up. The more you use it, the less trouble you will have. It does loosen mucus and make it much easier to breathe. I insisted on having it when I was in the hospital with pneumonia a few years ago. Ithe doctors have me a hard time about having it. I believe that we get these lung infections when we let mucus stagnate in our lungs and attract bacteria.

Connie

I have used Acetylcysteine for years. About 6 years ago I went to a wonderful Pulmonary doctor (who has since disappeared) as recommended by my primary doctor who had been treating my COPD and had prescribed Glutathione for me per my request. When I went over all my medications he said he was not familiar with Glutathione and was not sure about the proper dosages but that he would prescribe Acetylcysteine (which he was familiar with) and told me to only use it only as needed when I was very congested. Later my primary doctor told me that it was a precursor to Glutathione. He (the Pulmonologist) also sent me to Pulmonary Rehab and the Respiratory Therapist all raved about Mucomyst and how wonderful it was but warned me again to only use it only when absolutely necessary as it would irritate the lungs and they knew of people coughing up blood from using it to much. What the Dr. prescribed was Acetylcysteine 10% INH SOL Mfg.Roxane substituted for Mucomyst 10%. Use 1/2 ML via nebulizer every 12 hours AS NEEDED. It does work very well to loosen up the mucus and it does taste and smell like rotten eggs. Since I lost that wonderful Pulmonologist I go to another one who prescribed it only because I insisted on it. Now I am back on the Glutathione prescribed by my Primary doctor because the new pulmonologist does not have a clue. I sure wish I could find that Pulmonary Dr. again he was wonderful. I went to him every 6 months for 2 years then when I called to make my next appointment they said he was no longer with them and would not tell me where he went. I have googled him regularly for years and can find nothing on him anywhere. I think they got rid of him because he was good and he cared. (I'm only half kidding)

Everett

Off the face of the planet y'all

I have not gotten back with any of you lately. I appologise. Please forgive me. Connie, if you can e.mail me the doctor's name that you are trying to find I will see what I can do for yo there.Unfortunately if a dotor leaves a group then the ones left are helitant to tell his/her patients how to get in touch with them. The doctor may have signed a pledge that if they leave a practice then they wont contact any of the people they served. There are pretty strong teeth in the penalty if they do. If the patient can find the doctor then there is nothing that can be done about it. The other possibility is if the doctor was older like me he/she may have retired and doesnt want to be contacted.. One other is if they did something wrong and the board nailed them then they may be out of practice but this is unlikely going by your praise of him/her. ou will need to give me the state th doctor practice in when you used him/her and if you don't mind, the city and being the sneek that I can be when I want something the group that he/she wa with. Does this sound like I've been here before? YOu can find me at e.byrom@sbcglobal.net Hope all are "well"

Patti

Salt Pipe...Any experience?

I recently ordered a salt pipe after studying halotherapy and reading about all the spas in the USA now offering it. If, considering all the many things I've tried, I had to pick one thing that appears to help me most I would hands down say it's the salt pipe. The difference is being able to climb 20 stair steps with no effort & no shortness of breath once I reach the top.....as compared to climbing those 20 steps & being so out of breath it takes me 5 min to recuperate. I don't know how/why it works...I don't know what long term use might mean but it works consistently. Most of the info I've found is coming out of Europe where it's been used for many years. I asked my pulmonary Dr and he shook his head...he humors me with my natural treatments. I go back to my ND in Sept/Oct and I'm sure he'll have input. The only instruction I could find said to use it 15-20 min/day for 21 days. Any input on this subject will be greatly appreciated!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Here's what one online doc had to say. To me, if something seems to help you, then why not? It sounds like this works for you, so more power to you.

Q
Using a Salt Pipe for COPD?
What is your opinion of the salt pipe to help relieve symptoms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)? It is used in Europe and Canada with good results. I have had COPD for 18 years and get bad side effects from regular medications.

A
Answer (Published 8/4/2009)
COPD is a term that encompasses two closely related respiratory diseases that obstruct air flow, chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Most affected people have been heavy cigarette smokers, but nonsmokers can also develop COPD, sometimes from long-term exposures to dust, pollution, secondhand smoke, or toxic chemicals. Symptoms include coughs that produce large amounts of mucus, shortness of breath (especially with exertion), wheezing, and chest tightness. Over time, breathing becomes more and more difficult, limiting activity and mobility.

Related Weil Products
Dr. Weil's Vitamin Advisor for Respiratory Health - Avoiding smoke and pollution and getting regular exercise can help you breathe easier. Take your health one step further with proper supplements. Get a plan that's optimized for you - a free, personalized recommendation from Dr. Weil's Vitamin Advisor.
There is no cure for COPD, only medicines that alleviate symptoms. The most important thing you can do to avoid worsening of your condition, if you haven't already, is to stop smoking.

The use of a salt pipe to treat symptoms of COPD and asthma originated in Central Europe, where affected individuals would go to salt caves or mines to help relieve their breathing problems. The pipes are inhaler-type devices containing tiny salt particles said to ease breathing. You will find them for sale on internet sites that offer many testimonials from users.

I was unable to find any scientific study of salt pipes in the medical literature so I checked with Norman Edelman, M.D., chief medical officer of the American Lung Association. He was familiar with the use of salt pipes and salt caves but confirmed my findings that there appears to be no scientific data that supports their use. That doesn't mean that this therapy is worthless or harmful - just that we have no objective information about its efficacy. From what I've read, I believe salt pipes are safe.

Here are my recommendations for dealing with COPD:

If you smoke - quit.
Take my standard antioxidant regimen daily.
Increase your intake of dietary sources of carotenoid pigments (carrots, sweet potatoes, yellow squash, and leafy green vegetables).
Take a daily coenzyme Q10 supplement to improve the use of oxygen at the cellular level. Take 60 milligrams of the softgel form twice a day with a meal containing some fat.
Try the Chinese medicinal mushroom cordyceps, which can be helpful for individuals weakened by chronic disease. Look for capsules of cordyceps extract and follow the dosage directions on the product label.
If you're overweight, your heart has to work harder, and you're more likely to experience shortness of breath, so try to bring your weight down.
Unless your doctor objects, try to drink three to four quarts of liquid per day to keep your mucus thin and easier to cough up.
Learn breathing exercises to help ease stress and tension.
With your doctor's approval, do some exercise daily. Start slowly and increase your activity gradually. If you decide on walking for exercise, avoid areas where you might be exposed to additional pollution or lung irritants. Eventually, you may be able to do more vigorous exercise, including swimming, strength training, or low-impact aerobics.
Andrew Weil, M.D.