Fund Raising

kygal

I'm going to throw this out to everyone on the forum in hopes I can come up with some good ideas.

Has anyone used any type of fund raising to raise funds to get stem cell therapy? I got this idea from a guy, whose sisters attend my church, who was recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and has opted to do alternative therapy for his treatment. He's had to give up his job and is trying to focus on getting better and needed some income for living, taking care of his family and pay for the alternative treatments. We live in Ontario, Canada and he's getting his treatments in NY (in the States) so it's costing him a little more than Canadian funds for treatment. He had a fundraiser yesterday and he sold CD's or his original music (he's a musician, web site developer and numerous other creative things), they had a silent auction there, raffles and a variety of other things. He also got the media on his side and he had interviews on local radio and in local newspapers. I haven't heard what the fundraiser raised in money but I'm sure it did well. Also, if anyone is interested in reading about him, contact me privately and I can direct you to his blog which has drawn attention from all over the world.

There is no way my husband and I can afford to pay outright for the stem cell therapy but I know in my heart that this is the best solution for his COPD. He "might" be eligible for a transplant after he finishes his rehab but only if they can put some weight and muscle on him. Otherwise, he'll never withstand the surgery. I am bound and determined to raise some funds one way or another and hoped someone on this forum could give me some ideas or tried and true tips. I look forward to hearing back from some or all of you.

Take care,

Mary

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Mary - I hope this will prove to be a popular thread as I can't stand to think of people suffering for lack of funds. One thing to be aware of is that some of the companies do have financing available so that you don't have to pay all at once. Unfortunately, they are not interest free. Another thing to consider is how much can a person who needs treatment come up with on their own. If you know this amount, then you can set about trying to raise money for the rest. I know that many people are more than willing to give free frequent flier award tickets to people in need. I have seen ads pleading for help on various internet sites. I think the first thing is to set your goal, think of any clubs or groups that you belong to, church, etc. and see if you can get someone to help with a fundraiser or help sponsor the trip. My Optimist Club is always helping someone if they ask. Service clubs in general are usually very generous and helpful if you take the time to talk to them. Ask your friends and relatives. This is no time to be shy. Setting a goal will make it easier for all involved. It may take a lot of phone and leg work, but I think given the ideas, most of us have it in us to do what needs to be done. You wouldn't even be a forum member if you didn't have what it takes. Now, come on everyone, let's make this thread a very popular one.

kathy

Pioneer Member
This is a good topic, perhaps we can get Felica and Shazza (Sharon) to chime in. They both fundraise, and have a bit about it on thier posts "People who have been treated by Stem Cells" started by shazza under "Other issues and Diseases also Treated with Stem Cells". Barbara, maybe you or Darin could move the posts about thier fundraising over here.

Kathy

barrybrooks

For Mary

Hi kygal; I have some information you may be glad to hear. I will not share here. E-mial me. Hugz, as ever, Barry.:):)

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Personal messages

All forum members are able to send personal messages without having to post on the general forum. Go to the members list and select the member that you want to send the message to. Then click on the options available. Some people have elected to receive e-mails and others prefer to have you send the personal message to them via the forum. It just saves general forum space to go the direct route. This also insures that your message is getting to the person you want to see it without assuming they are going to read your post in the general forum area.

kygal

Re: Barry's message

Hi Barry & Barbara,

Barbara, you're absolutely right...and to add to your insight, this is the first time I've even looked at these boards in a week or so. We've been fighting the battle from hell with Doug and I just haven't had time to concentrate on much else.

Barry, you know my email address, feel free to email me personally...I better likely to respond that way, which I think I've mentioned before. I do check it more looking for emails from family or prayer requests I've put out.

Mary

barrybrooks

Private messenging

Hi Mary; In spite of Barbs assurance of private messages being private, I know she has access to all messages comments or whatever.
Therefore, because of a difference of opinions between Jeannine, Barbara and her son, I will e-mail you privately and would hope that you keep our conversations between ourselves private. Thanks, and hugz to you and Doug. As ever, Barry.;)

I do need to add that I do not have the capability of looking at any private messages. I am not an administrator of this forum, so please everyone, rest assured that it is not something that I can or would even want to do, nor would Jeannine. Forum 101 Barry. I was wondering what outlet you used prior to this forum being in existence? Care to share? At least it might be more interesting than your usual drivel. Barb

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Barry

What differences of opinion are you talking about?

You really know how to rub people the wrong way don't you? :eek:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Hugz to Barry

Barry sweetie,

I live a real active life and reading your private e-mails just isn't on my list of things to do today or any day. Sorry to disappoint you, but you did make me laugh so thanks for that. Barbara

Bev12452

funds

When I get ready to do the treatment I will take a mortgage on my house to pay I would love to have my insurance cover the expense but if it comes to my life or a house that is paid for mortgage it is I want to be around to enjoy my family even if I leave them with no money and if they expect something else to bad maybe it seems heartless to some but this is just my opinion Bev

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Fundraising

I promise everyone on here that I will soon announce our new fundraising site. It is an opportunity for all of you to raise funds without all the fundraising headaches. My son is setting this up because of the Stem Cell Pioneers, my 501c3 bird refuge and the obvious need of many people to raise money for treatment. It is a great idea he has come up with and we got bogged down a bit because of our computer guy who is a stickler for detail. We have now convinced him that he can fine tune later on and that we all want and need the site up ASAP.