First ALS Adult Stem Cell Trial Using Patient's Own Stem Cells

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
http://http://www.pharmalive.com/New...&categoryid=21

FDA Gives TCA Cellular Therapy Green Light to Proceed with First ALS Adult Stem Cell Trial Using Patient's Own Stem Cells

COVINGTON, La.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan 13, 2010 - TCA Cellular Therapy, LLC (TCA-CT) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved its adult stem cell protocol to conduct Phase I clinical trials to treat Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease).

This is the second FDA-approved protocol for the treatment of ALS using stem cells in the country; and the first using adult stem cells from the same patient. The aim of the Phase I study will assess safety.

ALS afflicts approximately 30,000 Americans. More people die of ALS than Huntington's disease; and the fatalities nearly equal Multiple Sclerosis. The life expectancy of a patient diagnosed with ALS is two to five years.

?I hope that our trial, along with the combined efforts of scientists and patients, will pave the way to breaking the chains of this devastating disease,? stated Gabriel Lasala, M.D., president and CEO of TCA Cellular Therapy.

About the Trial

Under the scientific guidance of cellular biologist, Jose J. Minguell, Ph.D., the adult stem cells will be taken from the patient's bone marrow in a simple outpatient procedure. The cells will then be processed in TCA-CT's GMP laboratory and administered to the patient by spinal tap in one of TCA-CT's facilities.

Recruitment for trial patients will commence in the next few weeks. The company anticipates moving into Phase II within a year.

About TCA Cellular Therapy

TCA Cellular Therapy, a privately-held company located in Covington, Louisiana, has assembled a team of neurologists, neurosurgeons, cell biologists, and pathologists to study some of the most debilitating neurological diseases including ALS and Spinal Cord Injuries.

Gabriel Lasala, M.D., 985-867-4860
drlasala@tcaway.com
Stem Cell Research | Covington | Adult Stem Cell Banking

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I was sent an e-mail by someone in the research field that says this method will never work. I found that to be an interesting observation. If it is true, there will be a lot of time and valuable dollars wasted on this.

Everett

possible candidate

I am watching "Live For The Moment"
It is about a man with ALS. I don't know if it is appropriate to give his name or how to gt in touch with him to ask if he would be interested in the ASCT program.I would appreciate a response on this. I will persue ssthis if you think it appropriate.
Everett

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I think he's from Denver, isn't he? I always reach out to people just to let them know there is hope. I don't think it's inappropriate at all, however, read my comment about the message I received from someone whose judgment I trust who does not feel that the trial will produce the desired results. There are a couple of offshore clinics that are having some success with ALS however so you might ask him to join this forum as well for more ideas. It is all up to him in the long run.

Everett

Golorado ALS man

I think he is from Colorado but I didn't catch whet city. If I knew I would invite him to the forum. His name is Roger Childs. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.
Everett

Last edited:

Everett

Roger Childs

Hi High Country Lady,
I found him in Broomfield north of Denver. I sent him an invitation to join up on the forum and gave him my email address if he wanted to get in touch with me and the forum site on the net. I hope that he will contact us or me.
Sunday I am to sing in a duet at church. I haven't had the courage until now.
Wish me luck and enough air volume.
Everett