air travel with POC's, for stage 4 COPD

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Rupen

I have traveled by air at least 3 times with my Sequal Eclipse. It has been very reliable. If you have any other questions, please send me a private message. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

copdREsearch

jeannine,

excuse my delayed response & thank you for sharing your experience.

yes, i was looking into "maybe" having to travel from vancouver to
los angeles or san diego with my brother next month.

in preparation for this trip, i was looking at various POC's on the market that are FAA & airline approved & have high continuous Lpm settings. the
sequal eclipse 3 & the devilbiss Igo seem the best choices.

i'm actually thinking of traveling with 2x POC's, just in case.
with your experience - do you think 1 or 2 spare batteries are safest for a 3 hour flight?

in addition, i was going to arrange for van pickup services on both ends, wheelchair service at the airports.

further, i was going to ask my brothers physician to prescribe a light sedative to keep him from getting too anxious - something that won't ill affect his breathing. plus, i was going to have him wear adult diapers, so we do not have to deal with any tiny bathrooms during flight.

now, am i missing or overlooking any major considerations?
please advise if so... thank you!

rupen

(you can also reach me at re@iceproduction.com)

alg

Reply for POC

I just purchased a SimplyGo and took it to Florida by car. It worked very well in the Car and Motel . It only go's up to 2 cont. and 6 pulse but it did work well. I was cautioned about flying so have not tried it.

I am severe and would love to fly so I would really like to know how you do.

Al

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
alg

I am also severe and have flown with an Eclipse at least three times from Boston to LA and Boston to Miami. I did have trouble on the last flight I took in Feb. It seemed as if the plane wasn't as pressurized as usual. I noticed I was short of breath for a short while so I turned up my oxygen and was fine. I don't plan to fly anymore though. It is to much of a hassle for me. Security really puts you through quite a patdown and they swab you and the oxygen for traces of explosives too. The only plus was that we were brought to the front of the line. You can private message me if you need more information.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Some companies will deliver concentrators to your hotel at no extra charge to you as long as they service the area. Apria is my provider and I always request a concentrator when traveling if I will be in one place for more than a night or two. I find it a lot easier than dealing with the Eclipse or other type portable, if the time I am staying somewhere warrants it.

Everett

Sequel/Eclipse

I flew once with my Sequel before I had to up the amount to 5. I flew from San Antonio Texas to Miami Florida with the flow set on 3. I did well but I was nervous the whole trip. We drove to South Carolina with my Eclipse and it did fine. Neather one are working like they should now and I need to have them looked at to see what is wrong.
Hello to everyone. I am back up and going again. Many close calls but my Dr S has me on roflumalast and it has done wonders. I am on O2 constant and ride a scooter and not walking. Dr F's treatment back several years is the reason I am still here.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Everett

You must have ESP because I was thinking about you yesterday and wondered how you were doing. I am so glad to hear you are up and about.

My Eclipse malfunctions too and I don't trust it on flights so I rented one the last time I went which worked just fine. My Eclipse is 6 years old so things are bound to go wrong.