60 minutes

Everett

They had a section tonight on 60 Minutes that blew mind. There is a Dr. Wolfe at the U. of Pittsberg Medical Center that is using material he is getting from pig bladders and is treating patients to cause the bodies of patients that have lost parts of their bodies to restore them. One was a vet that had lost the upper part of his right thigh in combat and the Dr. has been treating the man with Extra Cellular Material taken from pig bladders . They were talking amputation before Dr. Wolfe came into the treatment. It showed the patient's thigh and it was regrowing muscle and he was exercising on a rehab machine. They also showed a video of the inside of an esophogus of a patient that had cancer on the lining. They excised that part and brought the stomach up and sutured it to the upper part of the esophogus and treated it with ECM and it had grown new esoghagus and he was cancer free two years later. They showed another vet that had lost a hand above the wrist and they had taken a hand from a cadaver and treated it with ECM and attached it to the patient and he could actually move his/ the fingers of the hnd and make a fist and open the hand. The patient wasn't having to take any anti rejection meds .
It amazes me that we never heard of any of these researches before stem cell research came to light. Now everyone is whooping it up. Heck--the more the merrier

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
So, why does 60 Minutes think it is okay to chop up pigs and stick their parts in humans when they don't think it's okay for our own stem cells to be used to help patients with medical conditions every bit as dire as those mentioned in your post?

I believe it is because of Big Pharma and all they have to lose if stem cells become the way to cure and treat disease rather than cradle to grave drugs. They don't mind the occasional problem fixed by a porker because that's a one time shot for them, but they can't stand the thought of losing all the cardiac, lung, diabetic, neurological, and on and on patients out there that give them more than $15 million dollars per hour in revenue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pharmaceutical_companies

The pigs can stay on the farm. I will take my own stem cells any day.

If anyone watches 60 Minutes regularly, it would be nice to know how many pharmaceutical ads are shown during the program.