3 Month Update

rosech44

Well, It's Been 3 Months Today, Since I And 4 Others Received Our Ubc Stem Cells---i Have Enjoyed Some Pretty Decent Improvements, Altho, I Am Still On 3lpm 02--24/7--not Ready To Give That Up Yet---

Untill Yesterday, I Was Again Enjoying An Upslide On The Wild Ride--however, My Husband Has Been Sick With A Bad Cold, And Has Decided To Share It With Me---first Time I Have Been Sick In Over 3 Yrs.--as Yet, I Have Not Gone To The Dr.~~~don't Feel I'm Bad Enough For That Yet, Hopeing It Will All Go Away.--will Keep You Advised As To The End Results Of This Darn Cold, It Seems To Be Settling In My Lungs, So May Have To See The Dr.

Any Idea's On Home Remedies????

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
A pox on colds

Rose - I would try what Danny says for sure and also increase your NAC to 3 times a day for now. Also, add some vitamin C and continue to do the Power Lung to try to keep your lungs clear. Nasal irrigation is helpful several times a day. I use sea salt and liquid aloe for that. If you have a nasal irrigator that helps or a nettipot. If it is a cold, there is nothing that an antibiotic can do for you anyway, but I know that all of us lungers walk a dangerous line when it comes to things like this. It can quickly turn to a lung problem. Use Albuterol or Xopenex to keep your passages open. My RT told me it was okay to use them every 2-3 hours if needed when the cold is at it's worst. Some people really believe in the Zicam products. Try steaming (You can breathe in steam from a hot cup of tea) and of course make it green tea! Lemon juice helps to get toxins out so lemonade hot or cold would be good. Last, but not least, you may give your husband 50 lashes as soon as you feel better.

Bev12452

so sorry

Dear Rose I am so sorry to hear you are ill I had company for the whole month of Dec it seems everyone wants to go to Fl in Dec anyway brother and family came for Christmas, loved it, but they left the cold weather and germs and boy did I ever get sick I thought I was on my way to the er news years eve but I did have a stash of antibiotics and two days later I am feeling better than I have in along time. I guess alot of what I was going through was stress from the holidays. get an antibiotic before it gets to your lungs, mine settled in my throat couldn't talk at all hubbie loved that. drink alot of hot green tea with honey and relax you need a break anyway after all that cleaning and if you get bored you can come clean my place

rosech44

Thanks Everyone

Still Hanging In Here, Coughing My Head Off, But Not Getting Much Up---norm's Settled In His Head---mine Is In My Head And Feels Like In My Lungs, But That Could Be The Soreness From All The Coughing.

Bev, Glad You Got Over Yours, I'm Trying Not To Take Antibiotic Unless It Is Necessary.

I Will Try The Tea And Honey--been Taking Extra Vit. C

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Rose

I just complete a bout with a nasty cold. Here is what worked for me:

Afrin nasal spray every 12 hours
Robitussin CF
Two Mucinex capsules twice a day

I also used two dropperfuls of Astralagus root once a day
Two dropperfuls of echinacea & goldenseal three times a day for three days

I also drank a cup of goldenseal tea each day.

It is now ten days later and I am back to normal. Quite an accomplishment for someone with COPD to have a nasty cold and not require prednisone or antibiotics.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Cold, cold go away

Good for you Jeannine.This is really great news because so many times these things deteriorate into something much worse. Your stem cell army must have come out in force. Rose - hang in there. I have had some kind of gunk myself for over a week now. One thing I forgot to mention with excessive mucous is to use techniques such as the Tarzan chest pounding and the bellows. The bellows is accomplished by putting your arms out like you would if pretending to be a chicken. Then swiftly bring them both to your sides like you would a bellows. Repeat 5-10 times. These techniques are from an asthma book I have. My stem cell doctor is now telling people if they have excess mucous to do chest clearing techniques. It can't hurt. I would continue to use Mucinex, up the NAC and I find that the Bragg's unfiltered vinegar and raw honey drink keeps mucous down also. I have mentioned it before, but if anyone missed it. Take 2 tsp. Bragg's unfiltered apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp. raw honey and mix in an 8 ounce glass of pure water. Drink first thing in the morning and again before lunch and dinner if you desire.

rosech44

It's A Head Cold

Dry Hacking Cough, No Mucus From The Lungs---my Surgeon Friend Was By To See Me Today--right Now, I'm Not Worried Just Very Uncomfortable---:( The Coughing Is Realy Getting To Me, But It Is Not In The Lungs So I Am Happy About That--right Now, I'm Losing My Voice----that Should Make Norm Happy!!!

Using Green Tea And Honey---lots Of Water---robitussin Dm--tylenol--lemonade--- Coldeze Cough Lozenges---xtra Vit C

Thanks For All The Suggestions---

Bev12452

3 month update

I just passed my three month update and boy what a ride I never knew what to expect I don't know how Barbara and Jeannine held a job through all of it My panic attacks are becoming farther apart and last night my concentrator broke woke up this morning checked my levels they were 95 but as soon as I started moving they bottomed out to 68 so I guess I am not ready to give up the hose yet I have noticed that the brain fog has lifted alot whether it is the cells or the decrease in xanex I don't know but my typing fingers are actually going where I want them to I have stayed on diet and supplements although over the holidays IT was rough but I did it and am really starting to enjoy the very many ways to make chicken even my husband is enjoying it my next step toward recovery is put my lazy butt on the treadmill I do have more energy during the day so the only downside I have is the hormonal changes but hopefully they will soon just be a memory

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I can see you smiling

Bev - I am really pleased to hear that you continue to do better all the time. Pretty bumpy ride, isn't it? You seem to be happier too at least that's how I read your post. Thanks for the update! I really do appreciate hearing from all of you. Make sure you keep "working out" with your PowerLung. That will get you in better shape for the dreadmill (that's what Nassin calls it) when you are ready.

Mysty119

I feel so silly...

I feel so silly, but I've got to ask. What is this hormonal roller coaster that was mentioned? And---is the power lung that has been mentioned a spirometer?? :rolleyes:

rosech44

Power Lung

The Power Lung Is A Devise That Used Properly Will Help Strengthen Your Lungs, It Is Not A Spirometer. If You Look At The Top Of Home Page, You Will See A Power Lung Button, Click On It, And You Will Find Info About It.

As To The Hormonal Roller Coaster, I Have Not Had That Problem, But Beverly Says She Has, She Can Explain That To You .

Hope This Helps

Mysty119

confusion

Rose---I went to the Power Lung page and am now confused. (What else is new?!) There are eight diffent types of Power Lungs Listed. How do you know which one you need? ( Such a dilema!! ):rolleyes:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Power Lung

The PowerLung that most people on this forum should use (except for Nelson who is training for the next Olympics) is the AireStream Active Series, light resistance. Jeannine and I have been in contact with the PowerLung company and have decided that we may wish to offer the PowerLung for sale via the forum to help with our forum fund. If you are interested in purchasing one and want to do it via the forum, please contact me. You can also call the PowerLung company with any questions you might have. They are the nicest people. The inventor is a member of our forum, Mike Jarvis. The exercisor really does work. Some of the hormonal things I have experienced are hot flashes and mood swings. I go from grouchy to grouchier.

rosech44

Thanks Barb

Thanks For Jumping In Here----i Have The Yellow One---that's Great That You'll Be Able To Sell Them Thru The Forum.

As For The Hormonal Stuff, I Think I Did All That Years Ago After My Hysterectomy, I Suspect Hormonal Reactions May Relate To Age, Etc. Also---i Am Older Than Barb And Beverly---

Cold Is Much Better, But Still Coughing

Bev12452

hormones

Hello Misty I have been on the ride for awhile now I don't know how old you are but when I went to see the Dr here in Florida that knows about the treament he said I was going through menopause again and it is just like it some days I get up and am in the greatest of moods and can take on the world other days don't look at me the wrong way I will b***ch slap you my husband thank goodness has alot of patience with me I have nicknamed him ST James but I would do it all again because each day I feel Little better and a little stronger I have more energy and now am able to do things for myself instead of waiting for someone else Poor Barbara she has listened to my rants so much she deserves Sainthood also I seem to be the only one in my group to have such a severe reaction so I guess each person is different please feel free to ask anything I have bared my soul to this group so there is nothing to hide good luck

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Reconsidering probation for Bev

Bev has just said something really nice about me and here I went and put her on probation in a previous post for talking about 80 degree weather. I guess I had better reconsider. I am past menopause also Rose, but the stem cell treatment brought back a month or so of hot flashes. That was a few months ago. I still get them, but only occasionally. I also had mood swings, but now I am back to my always grouchy self. Even Larry reported that his mood was affected. It is a small price to pay to be able to breathe better. In fact, it has been so cold here that I am wishing the hot flashes would return.

Mysty119

Barb, Bev and Rose Part 1

I am going to be 59 shortly. I am told I went thru menapause 5 years ago or so. I don't know because I was on depo prevara and that kinda screws up the old menstrual cycle. I did have some hot flashes but used over the counter stuff for a very short time. Have had nothiing since. So maybe---just maybe, my cheerful self won't have any of that. (And I just know my husband prays for exactly that.) I've always been a pretty "up" person. Of course, I have my moments, like anyone else.
In October '03, I was taking care of my only grandaughter while mommy worked. I had her about 10 hours a day, and my husband was home recuperating from breaking his hip, breaking his arm and breaking some ribs from falling from a ladder while helping my daughter to move in May. At that time, I used the O2 when caring for her. (Exertion.) But a time came in April of '04 when one day, while wearing O2 at 4 lpm, I felt as tho' I couldn't breathe. I upped it to 6mpl out of fear. No help there. Then had husband call 911. I was aware and talking when they got here, and remember getting off the couch and putting myself on the stretcher. After that----zippo! When I awoke, I thought it was the night of the day I went in the ambulance to the hospital. Nope. I had been intubated and put on life support. Apparently,----each time they went to remove the intubation tube, my blood pressure sky rocketed. So---the put me in an induced coma. I had already been there 8 days!!!!!!! ( But did not know this at the time. I learned this AFTER I got home.) All in all---I was there for two weeks. Never found the cause. Only said the only possible thing they could think of was that I had contracted a heart virus. I had never heard of such a thing!!! I found out from a friend, that his mom had also had a heart virus and was sleeping when it happened; and she passed away. Anyway---I was quite weak after being bed ridden for two weeks. They had physical therapists come to the house to help me get back on my feet and I was not only religious in doing as they said---but doing it longer!! (Type A personality). I was frustrated that I was on so many meds that when I'd get up to walk to the bathroom I was so dizzy and weak. I went from my very own precious cardiologist, to another to get another opinion!!!! Man----BIG mistake. I'll have to continue this in an additional post

Mysty119

Barb, Bev and Rose Part 2

She told me that she wanted to refer me to Rochester (Minnesota) for a heart transplant. That I could "go" any minute. My heart function was at 20% or less. That is 1/3 of full function. (The 60% is full function because at any one time---your heart pumps 60% of the blood in your body.) I went back to my doc (a male and a great doctor), and he was in shock as she immediately wanted to put me on coumidin and change my meds. He said that if he had referred me to Rochester for a transplant---"they'd have laughed me out of my profession!!!!). I was being impatient. He told me it would take time, but I'd have to GIVE it some time.....not weeks or months, but TIME!!! Well, I went to pulmonary rehab and my first echo showed my heart at 30% (now I'm up to 1/2). As of January '07---guess who has full function in her heart!!!!! Yup---that would be me. ;) And I was religious AFTER rehab to be on the treadmill (down in the basement) no less than 3 times a week. With O2 at 3mpl. In a few months( 5 or 6 ), I was doing a mile at a time with NO rest period at a 2 level. (2 mph). I had started at lowest speed for 10 minutes. I was breathing better and doing more without the O2. They want me on it when I sleep because your O2 does lower when reclined; AND when I exert myself--like exercising and cleaning. I learned to listen to my body and not "push" myself. When I'm out---if I tire walking--I sit!!!!! And I quickly reoxygenate in a matter of maybe, 3 minutes. So---Now--I'm TOO well to be put on the list at this time. I get it-----and yet I'm disappointed. I worked hard to get there---and now have to wait to be on O2 24/7!!!!!!
I was told a LVRS might help in '03 and they took the CT scans. My disease was too diffuse. (2-1-0). That the LVRS wouldn't help & that actually, it may do more harm than help. So, my doc moved on to transplant. I"ve been seen by Clevland Clinic since March of '07. I'm from East Syracuse, NY and I was going there every 3 months to be evaluated as to whether I'd be put on the list yet. I was there in June and again in September. I should be sceduled to be there at the end of this month. Should I mention what I'm thinking about doing? I know I will mention it to my home pumonary doc. I know there are some docs that may "poo-poo" the thought and others who will be curious. I've been tallking back and forth with Tony Hamel since sometime last year. He has been such an inspiration for me. He told me about you guys and I went a-huntin"!!!!! As of now---I use O2 exercising and cleaning. Very seldom need my inhalers as I always be sure to take my nebulizer treatments. For someone who doesn't see me 24/7, they can't believe I'm being considered for a transplant. They think I'm "just fine". I arrange my outings to just after a treatment. Or---I have a portable nebulizer to use when I'm out too long and need to keep going like the energizer bunny. I take no less than 2 Mucinex a day. And when going where there are a lot of people----malls, church--etc.---I swear by Airborne!!!! That stuff is awesome. I've always taken vitamins and supplements; so that part shouldn't be bad. I take C, E, B complex Calcium, etc. Been doing that since '93.
It is so great to have a support group like you guys. Serious, playful, scared, brave, and most of all----adventurous and helpful!!! Thank you so much for all your input. And thank God we have you here!!!!
Barb, I will let you know about the Power Lung. Is it available from you now; or will be soon? Take care all----and BREATHE (easy)!!!!!!!!!!!