University of Nebraska Medical Center

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Dr. Rennard's reply

Dr. Rennard replied faster than you could eat a bowl of chicken soup. Just as surmised by Harv, he is talking about peer-reviewed literature and not the concept or success of stem cell therapy that patients have had for COPD. I did write Dr. Fernandez-vina to see if he plans to publish his findings in any peer-reviewed publications. If I get a response, it will be posted on this forum.

Dear Ms. Hanson,
I appreciate your comments, and am delighted that you are doing better. Patient testimonials are a source of information, but are generally not sufficient to form the basis for a strong "evidence based" recommendation. It would be well if you could persuade Dr. Freanadez-vina to thoroughly describe his experience. As I said in my earlier emails, to my knowledge none of this has been published in the peer-reviewed medical literature.
Yours,

Stephen I. Rennard, M.D.
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
985885 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, Nebraska 68198-5885
402/559-7313
402/559-4878 (fax)

Connie Golden

Stirring The Pot

Lots of stem cell research is being conducted around the world in spite of the problems from the Bush administration and pharmaceutical companies. It is clear to me that my own, highly respected pulmonologist has his head in the sand about stem cell research. They, doctors in general, have a tremendous amount of reading just to stay current in their fields...stem cell research information in available by the 'truck load' should anyone care to surf the internet. The regular Pulmonologist uses JAMA and the other peer magazine as their bible. As an aside, when I run across some notable research, I fax it to him. I am cautious that it is always top drawer. I sent him some article just prior to my trip to SD with a note telling him why I was going, please wish me luck and that I forgive him for not always being "right".

Your information regarding research on lungs I believe is incorrect because the Univ of Vermont has created new lungs in rats and was working on some of the allowed Bush cell lines for future studies for humans. The Howard Hughes Inst. in Calif. also did/does lung research. I used to watch and read all this religiously. Bottom line, I know if there is help out there, it is with stem cells. Now I still watch but spend much less time searching because I believe that there is so much interest worldwide that there will be significant medical breakthroughs in the near future.

I am the publisher of a horse racing magazine so I have turned by attention to all the research currently being done on horses internationally with stem cells and making sure that we cover this research so that the public at large becomes familiar with the facts. Considerable research is being done with equines. Lest you think I have lost my mind, three of the leading equine research centers for orthopedics jointly are conducting an ongoing study that involved 15 horses with severe orthoopedic diseases/injuries that were not responding to conventional medical treatment and they held little hope of recovery. I will quote in part from from their research paper printed in ARTHROS, College of Veterinary Medicine, Colorado State University (multi Center study with Washington State University and Texas A&M), Fall Issue.

..."These first 15 horses were all treated at least 6 months prior to follow up, with the first case now out 18 months from treatment. Conditions treated included subchondral bone cysts, cartilage damage and/or loss and torn menisci. In horses that became sound, the average days post treatment with stem cells before they became sound was 78 days, with a range from 30-240 days. There were 10 of the 15 (67%) horses that became sound and returned to their previous level of work in the discipline for which they were used prior to treatment"....and it goes on.

For those of us who have received stem cells, think you will find the info on measuring recovery time facinating as I did.

I can't answer all the Doubting Thomases. I can suggest they do their own studying instead of trying the case without even a fundamental understanding of the medicine involved. Far be it from me to try to convenience them that a healthy diet is good for them. Same principle.
You ladies have an amazing amount of patience!
All best, Connie

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Good info from Connie

Connie - What an excellent post. Thank you for taking the time to bring us up to speed on what you know via the equine side of stem cell therapy. I found what you said very interesting. This goes along with the posting I made last week about the clinic in Colorado that is now using stem cell therapy to treat orthopedic patients with great success. Also, the product that Cathryn sells, Stem Enhance, comes in an equine formula. All of this makes a lot of horse sense, don't you think? I do believe that many doctors are absolutely terrified of having to move into another realm of medicine. It is going to be like the switch to the internet and cell phones. At first everyone was cautious and now look what's happened! As for the healthy diet - you either want to or you don't. Nothing anyone can say can make much difference unless a person truly wants to eat healthily. The U.S. population is not a very healthy one on the whole and I think that anyone who doesn't believe that a lot of that has to do with diet and lifestyle has his head in the sand just like the doctors and people who want to ignore stem cell therapy.

Last edited:

rosech44

Excellent Post Connie

Thanks So Much For Your Post, It Really Was Written With Knowledge----hope It Wakes Up Some Of These Naysayer's. And Yes The Ladies Do Have A Lot Of Patience, Don't They???? At Least In Our Country, The Horses And Dogs Can Be Treated----

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Humans now have horse status in Colorado

Rose - You may have missed the article I posted last week concerning the clinic in Colorado that is now using stem cell treatment for their orthopedic patients. The company is called Regenerative Sciences, Inc. We are now able to get treatment like the horses whenever we have an orthopedic problem. This means that we no longer have to lurk around stables befriending jockeys and equine vets to get some treatment for ourselves. What a relief to not worry about getting shot if our knee gets blown or we fracture our leg. Now, if we could get the politicos to understand that this treatment needs to exist for other diseases then we can really say progress is being made in the right direction. It is insanity at its best to allow it for some applications and ignore others especially for those of us that are at great risk of losing our lives.

rosech44

Barb

Yes, I Saw The Post And It Is Great That They Are Doing That, Just Wish, They Would Work Harder On The Deseases That Are Killing Us Human's, Just A Weee Bit Faster----