Two Glorious Weeks of breathing

Mary Jo Hunter

Pioneer Founding member
I'm still in shock about how good I feel. In one way it seems like I was never really SOB after I had the big shocker Tuesday night 8/14! 2 days ago I was either tired from lack of sleep or a bit SOB but with the knowledge from all the Pioneers before me that there would be ups and downs made it okay not to panic.

Yesterday, Thursday, I had a really great day. Went to the movies and walked up the ramp and up the stairs to a good seat. Mr friends were amazed. Sooo fun. They've been with me for all my SOB and sometimes in a wheeelchair so I enjoy freeing them up.

I find myself busy anwsering peoples questions, doing the power lung, treadmill, water aerobics, microlite. My number's are so awful I can't imagine why I feel so good! Larry says I have lots of room for improvement! My highest PEF has been 88 and I'm not sure if the FEV1 is suppose to be high or low. must study that when I have time. When I had LVRS in 1999 my Dr. in Orange Co. said I had the worst numbers, but I felt to good! Go figure.

Another thing that has kept me busy is this new way of eating--I like it but instead if just throwing a chop in and pan to fry or barbecue, I have wanted to stay on the diet and eat accordingly so it takes me more thinking in preparation. It's not a big deal and I'll get use to it. Like Jeannine tho I have been using 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee with a little fake sugar. That's the worst I've done. It's all really so pleasant not being SOB.

I'll keep everyone up to speed in the net week unless something unusual happens. Thank you all you Pioneer folks. Mary Jo

anne58pat

Trying to understand

Mary Jo I read your message bout how good you feel and not being SOB. I am happy for you. I don't know what you mean when you say your highest PEF has been 88. what is PEF? and what is FEV1. Also what is LVRS. What do you mean about doing power lung, treadmill, water aerobics,microlite. Also what medication are you taking. Please explain. I'm sorry for bein so uniformed about these things but my Dr hasn't discussed these things with me. Thank you so much. Anne58Pat

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Mary Jo - where are you?

I will let Mary Jo answer most of those questions. One thing I do need to point out is that the Micro-lite measures differently than some manual peak flow meters so the numbers may not be something everyone can relate to. For instance, my peak flow meter is a manual kind. I used to be lucky to blow into it and even get a 250. Now, I average 500.These numbers would in no way relate to what Mary Jo is mentioning. I can tell you that 250 is poor. As for the PowerLung, there is a separate thread under the Pulmonary category for this. The inventor of this great little device is also a member of this forum, Mike Jarvis. It is used to help strengthen your lungs. It is a shame that your doctor hasn't given you much help, but it is not unusual. There is also a thread on LVRS which is lung volume reduction surgery. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Last edited: