Transplanted Stem cells need more oxygen?

I have read in a number of posts recently that transplanted stem cells intended for a number of areas of the body, heart, brain, etc. often suffer a dramatic reduction in the quantity of viable cells shortly after transplantation. If this is a result of a shortage of oxygen, has anyone tried a course of Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy immediately following a stem cell transplant?

Kaci's Mom

Dave,
I actually asked Dr. Steenblock that question when he hosted the "Ask the Doctor" forum (Question #5). At that time he was not in favor of doing HBOT until 6 months post treatment.
Kristin

Stem cell replication once transplanted.

They are hoping that the stem cells will replicate into more stem cells in the low oxygen environment but I haven't been hearing that that is actually happening and that there is alot of die off of the transplanted cells.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Dr. Young sent this response. Thank you Dr. Young.

Very primitive stem cells exist in a very low oxygen environment in our bodies. In fact some of our most primitive stem cells that we have discovered can survive well past seven days without an outside oxygen source. So, unless the stem cells they are referring to are actually progenitor cells, i.e., one-step removed from differentiated cells, I doubt if lack of oxygen is their immediate problem.

Most of the stem cells that are being transplanted these days come from other individuals, i.e., cord blood stem cells, etc., and are not matched for HLA markers. My suspicion is that the transplanted stem cells are being attacked by the person's own immune system as being non-self and gotten rid of in that fashion. Only the very primitive stem cells (referred to above) have a mechanism that can elude the host's immune system. And these are probably the few stem cells that actually survive the transplant.

Dr. Young

Know your model system and Tissue never lies - P.M. Johnston
Knowledge without an imagination is worthless - Albert Einstein
Adult stem cells do it better - H.E. Young