Tisch center of new york delivers results on phase one trial

Claire

June 29, 2015

TISCH MS RESEARCH CENTER OF NEW YORK DELIVERS ADDITIONAL ENCOURAGING RESULTS ON PHASE I STUDY AT THE INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR STEM CELL RESEARCH ANNUAL MEETING

MS Patients Continue to Gain Function and Show Improvement

With the International Society for Stem Cell Research’s Annual Meeting as his backdrop, Dr. Saud A. Sadiq delivered more promising results from Tisch MS Research Center of New York’s (Tisch MSRCNY) FDA-approved Phase I stem cell trial. The global event, which serves as the voice of the stem cell community, attracted over 3,500 participants who foster and exchange important dialogue on groundbreaking research in this field.

The Tisch MSRCNY research report presented interim analysis of the first ten patients treated, all of whom had zero adverse effects or safety concerns. The report went on to state that seven of the ten patients report improved muscle strength in their lower limbs and most remarkably, a patient who was wheelchair-bound for over one year is now able to use a walker. A second patient, who would ambulate with assistance but fell frequently due to weakness and instability, has not fallen in three months due to improved balance and is regaining normal strength in her lower limbs. She is now transitioning from walking with assistance to ambulating unaided. A third patient, who had lower right limb weakness, now has normal strength in his leg. In addition, of the nine patients with bladder dysfunction, five have reported noticeable improvement in this troubling area.

Dr. Saud A. Sadiq, Chief Research Scientist at Tisch MSRCNY and the study’s principal investigator is quite pleased by these positive efficacy trends, which have been advancing since the Center’s initial announcement on April 23rd, (http://tischms.org/news/april-23-2015-tisch-ms-research-center-new-york-reports-early-improvement-stem-cell-trial). He cautions, however, that this is an interim analysis and the study will have to be completed before definitive conclusions can be drawn.

This FDA-approved clinical trial uses neural stem cells extracted from the patient’s own bone marrow to repair damage caused by multiple sclerosis. Tisch MSRCNY’s study offers patients something unprecedented and unrecorded in previous treatments for MS, which to date only offer hope in stopping the progress of the disease. For more information on this study and its protocol, visit: www.tischms.org

SammyJo

This is a fantastic update on the trial!
Especially for a disease like secondary progressive MS (SPMS), which has no approved therapy.

I've had to go out of country to receive my own stem cells to treat SPMS, so I personally know the benefits these patients are enjoying.

This therapy really needs accelerated access, which will be one of the topics addressed at this upcoming stem cell conference Sept 17-18 in Chicago.

Access To Stem Cell Therapy: Progress In 2015
http://www.patientsforstemcells.org/access-to-stem-cell-therapy-2015/