Stopping Prednisone

Regine

According to our doctor, prednisone lowers ones immune resistance. She says it takes a couple of months after stopping to get it back. It makes sense to me then that people should stop taking it as soon as possible if they are scheduled for stem cells.

Connie Golden

Stem Cells & Prednisone

I am very interested in others views on stopping prednisone. I also, unfortunately have psoriasis and have been giving myself Enbrel injections every week. They inhibit the imune system bigtime. Is there a doctor in the house? Have thought about stopping a few days prior to my 10/4 cells.
Anybody??? Thanks. Connie

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Doctor please

Connie - There is a doctor in the house. Contact Dr. Jeff Peimer on this forum or contact the doctor where you are going or your own doctor if he is working with you on this. The rest of us aren't doctors, so I would hate to give out medical advice that was wrong. You are going soon, so you should get in touch with someone quickly. Also, did you mention psoriasis when you set up your appointment? The stem cells may even help with it. My skin is a lot softer now and some days I actually look human.

debrat

prednisone is for tues, I ran out so I can give it tomorrow

According to our doctor, prednisone lowers ones immune resistance. She says it takes a couple of months after stopping to get it back. It makes sense to me then that people should stop taking it as soon as possible if they are scheduled for stem cells.
is it ok if you nmiss a dose then take it the next day?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Steroids

I would think it would depend on your dosage how quickly one could safely quit taking it. Prednisone use needs to be gradually tapered off and not just stopped suddenly. Even when I was only on 10mg a day, my doctor had me decrease to 7.5 mg for a few days, then 5 mg, and then 5 mg every other day until I didn't take it any more. This was after using it long term and each reduction was for at least a few days. If you are only taking 5mg a day, you could probably go every other day for a week and then just quit. If you are just taking a burst, then the dosage will already be designed to take you down to a low level which will be your last day of medication. It is easy to find out by checking with the doctor where you will get therapy and also your own doctor. If your own doctor is not cooperating, then you will just have to go with one opinion. Steroids aren't something to fool with unless you have been weaned off them before and know what you are doing. Anyone else care to comment?