Stem cells ok for competition animals but not for humans?

Dean Grey

I saw this on the New York Times website... an article about a race horse that got too old and worn down for competition underwent stem cell therapy at the behest of his owner and trainer... the horse apparently is better than ever (in better physical condition than back in his heyday)... and is going to race again.

My question is... if this procedure has been (according to the vets involved) performed on thousands of animals with great results... autologous stem cells... why can't this be done on human beings in the US? If they're your own cells taken from your body... what's the deal?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/11/sports/11racing.html?_r=2&scp=4&sq=stem cell&st=cse

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
HA HA HA - you must be referring to Lava Man. I guess he can make tons of money now due to his stem cell treatment. We aren't money makers so we sit and suffer while the those with FDA fatten their pockets with payoffs from the pharmacetucial companies.

Isn't that a good question. I believe the reason it isn't being done of humans as it should be (some doctors are doing it) is due to a lack of knowledge about stem cells in the medical community

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Dean Grey - This is what ICMS is fighting. If you haven't joined or aren't familiar with this grassroots effort, please do so now and get everyone else you know to join too. We need VOLUME to get this movement going to catch the attention of those that have the power to get the FDA out of the way and to stop them from intimidating doctors who want to treat patients safely with their own stem cells. Join at www.safestemcells.org

By the way, I use Stem Cell Advance on my dogs and horses and I can truly say that even this type of stem cell therapy has done wonders for them. I am happy to see that animals are being treated with stem cells. Maybe, ICMS could recruit some race horses to thunder into Washington DC and help out the human cause.

carmen868

Outrageous

I really think it's such a shame - not because they're using stem cells on animals because that's great I love them and I think they are no less important than our so-called "homo sapien" species, but that there is all this advanced technology out there and these scientists and doctors are not using them on us. I mean, come on!!!!!! Which is only making me all the more believe that there are cures out there, only they're not for us commom people, because hey, we're not Bill Gates, or Queen Elizabeth or Alan Greenspan, or Oprah or some other VIP on the planet. It's downright criminal how human beings are not really "human".