Stem Cells for Blindness

lraynak

Pioneer Founding member
By Ben HirschlerTue Jun 5, 12:31 PM ET
British scientists plan to use stem cells to cure a common form of blindness, with the first patients receiving test treatment in five years.

The pioneering project, launched on Tuesday, aims to repair damaged retinas with cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Its backers say it involves simple surgery that could one day become as routine as cataract operations.

They believe the technique is capable of restoring vision in the vast majority of patients with age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a leading cause of blindness among the elderly that afflicts around 14 million people in Europe.

Some drugs, like Genentech Inc.'s Lucentis, can help the one in 10 patients with so-called "wet" AMD and U.S. biotech firm Advanced Cell Technology is looking at stem cells in other eye conditions. But there is no treatment for the 90 percent with "dry" AMD.

AMD is caused by faulty retinal pigment epithelial (RPE) cells, which form a supporting carpet under the light-sensitive rods and cones in the retina.

The new procedure will generate replacement RPE cells from stem cells in the lab, with surgeons then injecting a small patch of new cells, measuring 4 by 6 millimeters, back into the eye.

U.S. DONOR

The London Project to Cure AMD brings together scientists from University College London (UCL), Moorfields Eye Hospital in London and the University of Sheffield.

It has been made possible by a 4 million pounds ($8 million) donation from an anonymous U.S. donor, who the project's leaders said had become frustrated by U.S. curbs on stem cell work.

Embryonic stem cells are the ultimate master cells of the body, giving rise to all of the tissues and organs. Their use is controversial because many people oppose embryo destruction, although Britain has encouraged such research.

Surgeons at Moorfields have already restored the vision of a few patients using cells harvested from their own eyes, which were moved to a new site. But this process is complicated and only a small number of cells can be moved, limiting its use.

By injecting RPE cells derived from stem cells instead, Dr Lyndon Da Cruz of Moorfields hopes the operation can be reduced to a simple 45-minute procedure under local anesthetic.

"If it hasn't become routine in about 10 years it would mean we haven't succeeded," he told reporters. "It has to be something that's available to large numbers of people."

Similar tests on rats have already proved highly effective.

Pete Coffey of UCL, the director of the project, said he was confident the procedure would work in humans but the team needed to ensure the safety and quality of batches of cells, which would take time.

"The goal is within five years to have a cohort of 10 or 12 patients to put the cells into," he said.

The project, which is non-commercial, was welcomed by patient support groups. Alistair Fielder of the eye research charity Fight for Sight said it represented a real chance to tackle a hitherto untreatable condition.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Blindness

Larry - I know there has already been some success with macular degeneration using stem cell therapy. Is there anyone out there that knows someone that has had therapy for eye conditions? We would love to hear from you.

lraynak

Pioneer Founding member
Barbara,
I do know someone with macular degeneration. While I was having my treatment in Tiajuana, I met the Fergusen's from Tennessee. Father having the treatment who was going blind. I posted that blurb I thought in the right place. The son's name
Buster Fergusen
Buster Fergusen@murrayguard,com

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Reply to Larry

Did you want to contact Buster to see if he would be so kind as to come on board and let us know how he is doing? I can e-mail him if you prefer, but since you met him, he would probably enjoy hearing from you anyway. Thanks, Barb

Mooney

Macular degeneration

I was diagnosed with AMD-wet form last June and it is progressing rapidly. I'm unsure of how to use this forum, so I'll just jump right in.
Has there been any success to date with RPE's or autologus stem cell treatments for AMD? I don't think I will be able to see at all by the time stem cell therapy is approved in the US.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
You are doing it right

Welcome Mooney, You are using the forum right. Just post away, start a new thread, whatever you need to get information. I have been told by several doctors that they are treating various eye diseases. So far, we haven't had any concrete testimonial from anyone to affirm this. I do know that most companies will treat macular degeneration and a few claim that it is one of the most responsive diseases to stem cell treatment. I would suggest you contact several clinics, compare notes, ask for success rates of others (although this may or may not help if you don't actually get to speak to someone who had the treatment) and become a Pioneer if one of them sounds good to you. I hope you will get other responses here. You are also welcome to ask any questions you would like in our Ask the Doctor forum which we have each month. The deadline for questions is June 7 and questions should be sent to my e-mail.

Mooney

I've only been researching SC therapy for the past month or so. My opthalmologist told me that only stem cells would help me, but his opinion is that no good treatments are out there. I've read everything I can from the various facilities, but I don't know how to know which ones are genuine and which are charlatans. Other than asking for their success rates, which they seem very reluctant to share, are there any places that you know are "bad"?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
There are plenty of companies out there ready to relieve you of your money. I will be happy to give you what I feel are reliable resources privately if you would like. There is no total recipe for success however. Each person is different and stem cell therapy is in its infancy. Why does your doctor feel it is the only thing that will help you and yet he doesn't think there is anyone that can do the treatment? Is he meaning in the U.S. or anywhere?

lraynak

Pioneer Founding member
AMD Therapy

;4329 said:
I've only been researching SC therapy for the past month or so. My opthalmologist told me that only stem cells would help me, but his opinion is that no good treatments are out there. I've read everything I can from the various facilities, but I don't know how to know which ones are genuine and which are charlatans. Other than asking for their success rates, which they seem very reluctant to share, are there any places that you know are "bad"?
Moody,

When I had my stem cell treatment for COPD another man was also getting treatment for AMD. I'm not sure he got any relief as his son (his eyes) told me he would relate any progress to our forum. I haven't heard from him.

I did look up AMD and found this site that may be of help.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-460052/45-minute-operation-restore-sight-millions.html It is stem cell related. It is important to keep checking on anyone's statement that they're the best and such. Get direct confirmations from patients.

Mooney

I would appreciate any input you are willling to share. My Dr. & I are not on the best of terms since I am looking for treatment outside of what he can provide. I think his refusal to look at therapies outside of the US may be a product of his arrogance or impotence to provide better treatment at this point. I think that when I have stem cell treatment, he will stop seeing me.
I am not quite desperate, but rapidly approaching that stage. I had another retinal disease 25 yrs. ago, the treatment of which (laser) destroyed central vision in that eye. Since I only have sight i one eye, I am anxious to try whatever might be out there.
Thanks for your help. I have learned more from this site than from hours of plowing through research documents and procedure descriptions.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thanks for the compliments. We really do appreciate it. I will send you the resources I have in a private message to you. I would contact each and every one of them and try to put aside any sales pitches if you can. It is important to ask why they think the therapy will help you. If you don't understand something, write it down and post it on here and someone will be glad to try to decipher it for you. Sometimes, the terms get technical and a person just needs to say, "WHOA, I'm a patient, not a colleague. Please use terms I can understand." Please keep us informed in your search. We are here for any support you may need.