Stem Cell Therapy and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

This is interesting!

By William Maxfield, M.D.
Friday, 04 Mar 2016

Recent years have seen increasing recognition of the value of regenerative medicine, which is the use of stem cells to treat many different types of disease. Of particular interest has been the use of stem cells to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD.

COPD is a progressive disease that gradually makes it difficult for the sufferer to breathe. Cigarette smoking is the leading cause, but long-term exposure to other lung irritants may also contribute to the disease.

Lung disease is the third leading cause of death in the United States. Traditional treatment methods have been ineffective for the last 30 years.

I have used hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) to treat patients with COPD. One patient I saw had previously visited a major medical center in California and was given only a few months to live. She was beginning to lose cognitive function due to oxygen deficiency.

When we started her on HBOT, her symptoms turned around, and she enjoyed five excellent years before dying of other problems — not COPD.

We now know that HBOT can significantly increase the availability of stem cells in a patient’s body by a factor of about 8. Therefore, the hyperbaric oxygen is doing exactly what is being advocated for treating COPD and other lung conditions with stem cells.

In my opinion, stem cell therapy would be even better for COPD with the addition of hyperbaric oxygen therapy being given at the same time.

According to the Lung Institute, 84 percent of patients with COPD have benefited from stem cell treatment, which has recently been recognized by the United States Congress with the passage of the Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Reauthorization Act on December 16, 2015. This law provides funding for the stem cell industry for the next five years.

In addition, the Catholic Church has signaled its appreciation of regenerative medicine by scheduling The Third Conference on the Progress of Regenerative Medicine and Its Cultural Impact to be held at the Vatican April 28-30.

With the increasing interest in stem cell treatment and recognition that hyperbaric oxygen promotes the availability of stem cells in the body, I believe that the use of stem cell therapy and HBOT will be expanded to even more chronic diseases than they have to date.
For instance, we have seen benefits with suffering with ataxia telangiectasia, cerebral palsy, and other genetic diseases that have responded very well to hyperbaric oxygen therapy.

Therefore, when we consider the possibility of adding stem cell therapy with regenerative medicine to hyperbaric oxygen therapy, there is a good chance that we will see spectacular improvements with the combination.

Pat

jgp

Pro's and HBOT

I have read where a lot of professional ball players do this (HBOT) for help in having better breathing endurance. I believe this could be 2/3 the answer with drugs to fend off further destruction. Stem cell rejection by earlier Drs. to me, was so drug companies could continue to make their billions. God bless all

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
One of our original Stem Cell Pioneers members tried a series of 40 HBOT treatments. At the time, there was limited access to any bonafide stem cell therapies. While he said he felt like a "normal" person while inside the chamber, unfortunately the treatments did not benefit him in the long run. He did a very detailed and documented study with the help of a group of doctors who administer HBOT. He is the only one I know of that tried it. It can be very expensive which is prohibitive for some. At one time, patients with emphysema were advised not to use HBOT, but I think that thinking may have been revised at this point.