Stem cell research allows boy to walk for first time

Claire

Stem cell research allows boy to walk for first time
Tuesday, 22 March 2016 15:06 administrator

Bryson Underwood, 7-year-old son of Kara Underwood, has had one rough childhood. He was diagnosed with a severe case of spina bifida and has been paralyzed from the waist down most of his life. However, now, with a breakthrough in stem cell research, he is able to walk again.

The Emory boy was born with spina bifida in 2009. Underwood’s doctors found the nerves in his lower spiral cord were exposed from the L1 to L5 area, which caused severe neurological damage, leaving the child paralyzed from the waist down. His bowels and bladder also received neurological damage, resulting in a catheter.

Within 24 hours, Underwood went into surgery to close the spinal opening. By five days old, he had a shunt put in his brain to relieve pressure.

Unable to move his legs, Underwood realized from a young age that he was different from other children. At 2 years old, he asked his mom if there was anything she could do to let him be able to walk.

Kara Underwood began researching stem cell research. After realizing any procedure done in the United States would be expensive and would not be approved by insurance, Bryson’s mother found the Nova Cells Institute in Mexico. The institute’s plan to help was to give Bryson Underwood four stem cell injections over a period of years. Currently, Underwood has already had three procedures. He can not only feel his legs, but walk with the aid of a walker. He is even starting to have stomach aches, which might lead to control of his bladder in years to come.

Bryson will soon have his last stem cell injection as well as a foot operation to help further his mobility. To help pay for the procedures, Underwoods have teamed up with Dawn Elmore, an event producer, to host the Barrels 4 Bryson fundraiser at the Hopkins County Regional Civic Center.

“Barrels 4 Bryson will be April 2 at 8 a.m. There will be several exhibitions and the practice runs at 12:30 p.m. Then, the barrel racing will begin at 2 p.m.,” said Elmore. “We have people coming from all the bordering states to help Bryson.”

The barrel racing competition will have 5D open and youth 4D incentives. The cost to participate in the 4D is $20 and the 5D is $30. Vendors can contribute $50 to have a display at the event. Go to the Barrels 4 Bryson Facebook page for more information or contact Elmore at 903-450-3139.

“We organized the first barrel race four years ago for his first treatment and kept going,” said Elmore.

Those interested in making a monetary donation to help with medical costs may contribute to the account established at Austin Bank in Emory for Bryson Underwood.

Kara Underwood also co-founded with Jessica McCulloch and other moms whose children were born with spina bifida with Warrior Families Beating Spina Bifida Foundation, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to finding alternative treatments and therapies for adults and children as well as spreading awareness about the birth defect. Kara Underwood serves as vice president and McCulloch as president of the group.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Abel Pena (Nova Cells Institute) gave me a treatment that I call the treatment from hell. I truly thought I might die from it. Did he follow up or try to determine what went wrong? NO! I would NEVER, EVER recommend taking a child to him for treatment nor would I advise an adult to risk it.