Speak Out for NIH Funding Now

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Personally, until I see more stem cell based research being done at the NIH, I think they have enough funds, but I am posting this for others who may not share my opinion. For those that do, you can also contact your representatives and tell them why you think the NIH is funded enough at this point.

Speak Out for NIH Funding Now
Contact Your Representative by March 17

Funding for the National Institutes of Health in FY 2011 is in the hands of Congress now and it's time to take action. Please write to your representative immediately to ensure NIH does not lose ground.

Representatives Edward Markey (D-7th, MA), Janice Schakowsky (D-9th, IL), Rush Holt (D-12th, NJ), Susan Davis (D-53rd, CA), Joe Courtney (D-2nd, CT) and Jackie Speier (D-12th, CA) are inviting their colleagues to join them on a letter in support of increased funding for NIH in FY 2011. The letter states that the advocacy community is recommending a $35 billion increase for NIH and that the congressional members are "seeking an increase for NIH of at least 7 percent, with some of us believing that the appropriate funding increase would be as much as 12 percent." ($35 billion) The deadline to sign the letter is March 17.

Each congressional office can also submit a Program Level Request to the Labor Health and Human Services and Education Appropriations Subcommittee recommending $35 billion for NIH in FY 2011. This is the one opportunity for all members of Congress to make their own funding recommendations to the leadership.

It is critical for representatives to both sign the letter and submit the Program Level Request. Urge your representative to do so immediately. Take action now!