Searching reputable stem cell treatment centers

rlsloan@cox.net

Hi--my name is Renee and I am new to this forum stuff. I have been searching stem cell treatment centers for 2 years for 2 eye conditions: congenital nystagmus and glaucoma. I have been accepted for treatment at 2 possible treatment centers:progencell and Stem Cells for Hope. Both centers seem so legitimate, they both even use adult stem cells from one's own bone marrow. Since both centers are expensive, I am considering applying for a 4 year loan. Before I make that kind of financial committment, I need to know if these centers are lagitimat or scams. Has anybody heard about or used these 2 centers. If these centers are scams, what reputable treatment centers would one reccommend? I am followed closely by both an othalmologist and optomitrist. My opthalmologist only believes in drugs and surgery. My optomitrist is very interested and open to the possibility of using stem cells to treat my conditions. I would greatly appreciate any information or help on my questions.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
I would NOT take out a loan to get treatment. The conditions you mention haven't been positively shown to be cured by stem cell treatment at this time. I would do further investigation. If would also read the ASk the Doctor section of this forum to familiarize yourself with the many doctors out there who are doing treatments.

One word of caution to all who are seeking stem cell treatment:

When a clinic "accepts you for treatment" is not a big deal. Many of them operate under the "show us the money and we will accept you"

I'm sure Barb will chime in if she's heard anything about these two clinics.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Stem Cells for Hope contracts with doctors. They do not have their own clinic. The CEO did host Ask the Doctor. What Jeannine states is absolutely true. Getting "accepted" doesn't mean a whole lot if it is a clinic that treats virtually everything. I am not stating that these 2 clinics do, but the word "accepted" is not synonymous with successful, reputable or scientifically sound or anything else. It means you are welcome to try treatment if you can afford it at many clinics. There are no guarantees with any medical treatment that I am aware of, but the word "accepted" has become a sales ploy for some clinics. For others, it may truly mean they have some kind of screening process. It's very hard to tell to be truthful.
I hope you will take more time to explore whether or not your condition would even benefit from stem cell therapy before committing to something that would cause you a financial burden like this. Do an internet search for research in this area. Write to research facilities or if an article names the researcher, send a message to them directly. You would be surprised that many are willing to give you information that might help you make a more informed decision. Stem cells aren't magic and all conditions do not respond to therapy. Have you discussed this with your own opthalmologist?