Regenexx

Josh

Hello, I am writing to try and get as much info. on Regenexx, which is an adult stem cell clinic based out of Denver, Colorado. Supposedly, they are doing really great things with adult mesenchymal stem cells that are being injected into osteoarthritic joints, but are they for real and is it really safe? Also, it seems that they are in a tug of war with the FDA. I would really like to get real opinions (experiences) from real regenexx patients if possible. I am thinking of getting the Regenexx procedure done to my left arthritic hip. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
The FDA fire breathing dragon may have been lurking

Josh - I will give them kudos for standing up to the FDA. They have always held the position that since treatment is only given in Colorado that some of the FDA requirements do not apply to what they are doing. There is no interstate transfer of marrow or blood, etc. Their press releases indicate that they work with various sports teams, including the New York Mets and the Denver Broncos. In fact, I first read about them because of a sports related story in one of our local newspapers. Again, I am perplexed by how they suddenly did not want to talk to me after they initiated contact last spring. The lady I spoke with was all gung ho for me to come out and tour the new facility that would open in the end of June I believe. I thought it was a great idea and a way to let forum members learn more about them, but just as suddenly as they initiated the contact, they stopped it and my phone calls and e-mails went unanswered. I can only think that maybe the FDA was breathing fire and that they were fearful of any further exposure. I can certainly understand that. I wish I had more information for you, but I don't.

terry42

Hello Josh:

I made a very similar post here a few weeks back (search for Terry42). There is an entire thread here on http://www.stemcellpioneers.com about the Regenexx procedure, but with no input from people that have actually had it done. Also, there is an interesting thread about the Regenexx procedure on http://www.kneeguru.com, with a few posts by people that HAVE had the procedure done. I understand that you are having a hip issues instead of knee issues, but you still might find the thread informative.

The Regenexx procedure seems to be the real deal. There is an article in the in the Main/June 2008 issue of www.painphysicianjournal.com titled "Increased Knee Cartilage Volume in Degenerative Joint Disease using Percutaneously Implanted, Autologous Mesenchymal Stem Cells" (can read online for free) that shows a 20% measured increase in articular knee cartilage after treatment.

In spite of the significant cost and travel issues, the optimist in me wants to give the Regenexx procedure a try. But the pessimist in me wants to know why, if Regenexx really delivers what it promises, can't I find more information online about patients who have successfully undergone Regenexx treatment? Perhaps it is because Regenexx treatment it just too new.

Josh, let me know if you find anything. Or if you decide to have the treatment done, post your experience here so that others can benefit.

Thanks,
Terry

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Rwgenexx responds

I had a pleasant surprise early this morning. I got a call from Regenexx. I explained again what had happened last year and the lady I spoke with today did say they had some personnel changes. She had no other explanation of why I suddenly could not get anyone to respond to my calls or e-mails. She is going to have one of the doctors call me (hopefully today) and indicated she was sure he would be happy to do the Ask the Doctor forum. I told her since we had been waiting so long, I would like to have someone from Regenexx host it for February. She also said they would arrange for my long awaited tour. I think this sounds promising. I will let you all know when I speak with one of their doctors and what arrangements have been made.