Querie on Bone Marrow Stemcells

TESS37

I dont understand why Xcell Germany extract the bone marrow Stemcells from you and on the same day they inject them back in via lumbar puncture or iv all on the same day. Then when I checked out Dr F procedure he takes them out and then injects them back in a week later. Putting back in on the same day sounds better as they would be fresh then and not sitting in a lab. Could anyone explain it to me a bit better. I am trying to do as much research as i can before I go ahead and have treatment.

Thanks

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Putting them right back in allows for no expansion of the cells. It's all about the numbers. Also, they aren't just sitting in a lab, but are kept safely refrigerated. The more stem cells you receive, the more clinically relevant the treatment is in most cases unless of course the stem cells that are infused back into you aren't the kind you need for your condition. Your question is a good one and I will submit it to the Ask the Doctor this month for a more thorough scientific explanation.

TESS37

Thanks Barbara,
Umibical cord blood stemcells have been recommended for my condition but Im just afraid that they could cause cancer in me after doing some research. But then again I also read yesterday that some patients with leukemia that were given a bone marrow transplant had strokes after treatment and some had neuroliogical problems after treatment. Which I have already and dont want any more problems in my brain. That would be good if someone could explain expanding the cells after extraction. As Ive read that expanding them can cause cancer and best to inject straight back in on the same day forget where i read this though. This researching is so hard with half a brain working. Also does everyone believe umbical cord blood stemcells are the best for brain issues?
Tess

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Umbilical cord stem cell therapy does not include any blood cells, otherwise you would have to be matched as they do in marrow transplants for leukemia patients. You should write down the sources of where you read some of the things that alarm you. Then you can research the source and see if there is any validity whatsoever to the information. For instance, you say that you read that expanding the cells could cause cancer. For someone to evaluate this statement, it would be nice to know what kind of expansion the article was talking about. The natural expansion of stem cells vs using a medium of some kind and the length of culture time would be important information to have. As it is, you are just assuming that all stem cell culturing is dangerous and this simply has not proven to be the case.

TESS37

Thanks Barbara I dont think what Ive read is right and Im going to ignore it and move on. When you say its all about numbers how many do they generally get from bone marrow or even how many to expect to get or is everyone different and its too hard to say? Also patients that have to wait a week for them to be expanded in the lab are there safer areas in Mexico than others in accomadation as I here people on here that are fearful of the crime rate there.

Thanks Tess

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
It would depend on the amount of marrow taken, the expertise of the doctor removing it, the age of the patient and I am sure many more factors. You should inquire when doing your research approximately how many stem cells you will be getting and how they are processed. If they are umbilical cord stem cells, make sure they are certified for purity and are purchased from a reputable source.

For those contemplating treatment in Mexico, please do a Google search for the number of foreign patients injured or killed or harmed in any way while undergoing stem cell treatment in a clinic in Mexico. I don't believe you will find any. Reputable Mexican clinics pick you up from the airport or your hotel and transport you to the hospital or clinic where you will have treatment. The clinics and hospitals are close to the border. I have never felt any unease when I went there, but I am well traveled and realize that my chances of getting mugged are just as great in St. Louis or Chicago as they are while getting treatment in Mexico. It is just not a factor in my decision making, however, I will state that I hate the return border crossing. It can be a long wait. If you can fly, you have many options as far as choosing a clinic. I don't have that option and must drive to wherever I am getting treatment thus I am limited to Mexico and the U.S.

TESS37

Thanks so much for the information Barbara. I can fly but feel theres not many options other than Mexico for treatment as what Ive heard about Xcell Germany I wouldnt risk going there and China seems to be the only other place which i'm just not sure about. Thanks for your help

Tess