Project Prometheus, a new stem cell study

Chas

I came across this article about a man whose heart was treated with his own stem cells after a bypass operation.

http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/1054942.html

The article explains why it has been difficult to get 45 willing partcipants to participate in the project prometheus study, but what I don't understand is how the patient obtained the treatment without being in the study. The article suggests that the bone marrow stem cells were grown in cultures, but not otherwise manipulated.

If I could find a doctor willing to do so, could I have my bone marrow stem cells multiplied in cultures, and then injected to improve my pulmonary arterial hypertension condition?

Chas

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
The answer is no

I didn't see where it said he wasn't in the study. I think he did not get the placebo and the procedure has evidently been successful for him. The FDA considers any type of culturing that expands the cells to be manipulation. That is what ASCTA is fighting, so the answer to your question about if you can find a doctor to do this, is no, not in the U.S. It is pathetically ridiculous, but that is why ASCTA was founded. Dr. Centeno found himself facing these restrictions. In order to be clinically relevant (worthwhile), most stem cells must be expanded. The ASCTA guidelines specifically address the issue even down to the types of cultures that may be used.

This type of article is a good one to make a comment and include the www.safestemcells.org in your post. It's one of the best ways to spread the word so that you can get the treatment you want here in the U.S.