Please ask your doctor to help - URGENT

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Medical-board-s-proposed-stem-cell-policy-under-3467573.php , where the new TMB board rule authorizing stem cell use as the practice of medicine is coming under fire.

The organized “your stem cells=drugs” front now understands that Texas will be a major battleground in the fight to commercialize stem cells on their financial terms. In summary, the TMB has authorized the use of stem cells as the practice of medicine in Texas (without FDA approval) as long as there is an IRB approval in place and the patient has solid informed consent that also includes that the therapy is not FDA approved. This is a major milestone in the fight to allow responsible access to cell therapies and to support physician innovation. YOU MUST ACT TODAY TO SAVE THIS TMB INITIATIVE! If you are a physician, acting could save your right to use stem cells as the practice of medicine, even if you don’t practice in the state of Texas, as once this rule gets passed in Texas it will that much easier to adopt elsewhere. If you know Texas physicians, make sure you send this e-mail to them. If you’re a patient, then send this around to anybody who you think might take the time to comment.

Mari Robinson, the executive director of the TMB is defending a physician’s right to innovate and we should support her, as the final decision will be made this Friday. Here’s her e-mail address-mari.robinson@tmb.state.tx.us (I would also cc it to Leigh.Hopper@tmb.state.tx.us).

Sample letter:

Subject: Support for Chapter 198. USE OF INVESTIGATIONAL AGENTS

Ms. Robinson,

As a physician, I support your practice guidelines for investigational agents. In particular, physicians have a long and proud history of innovating for their patients, which has led to many of the major medical advances we all take for granted. As you know, the next great phase in medicine will be cellular based and as a practicing physician I feel that stem cells will never meet their full clinical potential without allowing physicians to safely and responsibly innovate to solve the clinical problem before them. Please accept my full support for the addition of chapter 198.