Osiris Completes Enrollment of Stem Cell Trial to Treat Pulmonary Disease

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Press releases

This is also posted in our press release section. I do caution members to realize this is just a press release and not anything else. Of course, I am hoping this company has great success with their product, but a press release is a promotional article of sorts so readers need to make sure that they realize that it is not written by an outside news source but from within the company wishing to make the announcement or promotion.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
In response to the Osiris press release

I received this from Larry who is one of the Pioneer founding members. Larry does a lot of reading and researching and I found what he wrote to be pause for thought and discussion. I think what he sent makes a lot of sense. Anyone else wish to add to this? Thanks Larry.

Barbara,

The definition of a mesenchymal stem cell -from Wikipedia - Mesenchymal stem cells or MSCs are multipotent stem cells that can differentiate into a variety of cell types. Cell types that MSCs have been shown to differentiate into in vitro or in vivo include osteoblasts, chondrocytes, myocytes, adipocytes, and, as described lately, beta-pancreatic islets cells[1]. It has been shown that they can also transdifferentiate into neuronal cells in vitro [2]. However, in vivo results are now thought to be a misinterpretation of spontaneous cell fusion between a damaged neuron and a mesenchymal stem cell placed in the brain Epithelial cells are more involved in the structure of the lungs.

For mesenchymal cells that means the osteblasts forms bone, the chondrocytes form cartilage and the myocytes form heart muscle and the adipocytes form fat cells. So by this clear definition there isn't much to do with the lungs. That is why I don't put much stock in this trial. I am appreciative in that we finally are getting off our duffs to at least do some trials for COPD.

aap0302

Pardon my ignorance, but if you what you are inferring above is true that just on the merits, this trial is going to prove ineffective, then why would a large pharma company even bother enrolling patients for this trial. Furthermore, why would they claim to be testing specifically for COPD? Don't intend to dispute what you say one bit, but I would show a little more optimism.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I do hope Larry responds, however, my enthusiasm is not dampened one bit for this trial or any others that may come along because it is at least a START. At this point in time, I believe that Osiris is conducting a clinical trial to find out if indeed what they have will work. That is the purpose of clinical trials. What may work for a rodent, may not help a human. I applaud this company and any others that are doing research, but my caution was to remember that these are just press releases and not scientific data in any way, shape or form. Only time will tell how successful this trial will be. In the meantime, I am very optimistically waiting for real results.

lraynak

Pioneer Founding member
Osirus clinical trial.

I would like people to know that there are brave people, suffering people who already have submitted to stem cell treatments, more than one without any clinical involvement seeking some relief from COPD. I'm also included in this group. While I note the clinical trial for COPD with stem cells is welcome news for a disease that is affecting some thirty five million people in the USA and more in the rest of the world, we need to keep learning about this. Everyone has heard about stem cells, but doesn't know a single thing about them. Psst, there may be more than 200 different ones ....

aap0302

Hey absolutely. I agree in that press releases are just that, press releases. We have to be cautious in not jumping the gun, as Barbara has mentioned. However, in my opinion, you shouldn't go to the other extreme either by not putting too much stock into the trial. I don't know enough about stem cells as most of you here nor have I undergone treatment, as (touch wood), I am at an early stage. Even so, I would think that Osiris probably have some promising preliminary results which led them to spend their resources on conducting a formal large scale trial. Just wish the best for everyone here. Nothing ventured nothing gained. As mentioned, this is definitely a start.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I am happy to see a good discussion going and you make some good points as does Larry. The bottom line as you are probably realizing is that at this point in time there are very few definitive answers with stem cell treatment. One day we will look back at this and be reminded how little information we had and how much every pioneer, patients, doctors and companies alike, were willing to give to find an answer.