Oh man.. Big Sleep Prob;u:lem

Del

:eek:

I know this is a little bit of a different kind of place than healthboards, sometimes those boards can be helpful too... not knocking it....

Basically, I feel as if I am becoming dismantled from exhaustion, and I'm just a young 50 yrs old! I wake up after 4 hours usually, no matter what time I go down. Then I feel an ache in my legs and exhaustion... it tells me that for that time, that 3 or 4 hours, I may not have gotten past the first or second stage of sleep... no healing, no repair.. no REM.... the day ahead will be a zombie day, I will get very little done and have difficulty focusing on much.... I won't be able to nap because, well I can't take naps for the time being, these days....

It's going on five months of this, in this intense mode, Before, going back oh some three years I would have the occasional really bad mornings where I would get up and an hour later realize..... I thought I slept but it had been one of 'those' nights where again I apparently didn't sleep... not in the right way.... now it's almost every night...yes I was diagnosed with sleep apnea....

I was prescribed a CPAP for mild apnea which is part obstructive and part 'central' where, supposedly the signal from brain to breathing muscles doesn't get through. Not sure I believe such a thing though! This is still somewhat a source of anxiety.

I am presently taking hydroxyzine at night to get me drowsy, it is a very old anti-histamine which is prescribed off label as a sedative and mild anti-depressant. I liek it better than Ambien which, while very effective, has a knack for being sure I DO wake up after four hours and I don't think I dream at all... the hydroxyzine will occasionally put me into REM and dreams for a little while....

The CPAP has been something to get used to. I hacked into the machine to lower the pressure just slightly, it was hard to exhale against the pressure...

Well, if there is anyone who knows about stem cells and sleep, why not! I'd love a stem cell sleep injection. But also I am hoping if anyone struggles with this kind of sleep issue I'd like to know what works for you or if you have gotten the better of it. Right now I feel I am falling apart... I might have to give up my self-employment and my apartment, and pack up my stuff and move in with family somewhere...

I also got my pulmonary PFT results Friday... not devastating, but it could influence sleep, I don't know... maybe need to talk with doc about it, anyway the FVC was 95% (ok, pretty good) and the FEV1 was 90% (not so great but not scary bad either, especially as I quit smoking and I'm all about happy lungs, the idea is I should be able to hold the line)

Thanks for letting me ramble... I hope I put out enough information so that something resonates for someone.... All best -- Del

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I'm assuming you have tried all the usual "natural remedies". I have found that relaxation tapes (using ear phones) have been very helpful for when I need to relax. I have actually fallen asleep while listening to them. Hopefully, you will get used to the CPAP as you use it more. What about biofeedback?

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Del

Thanks Barbara, yes I am open to lots of ideas!

I have nodded off sitting and listening to Soma FM or StillStream (very woozy hypnotic electronica... it will do the job while breathing steadily).

Last night was a little better... thing is, I do not understand what happens when these bad nights occur, it is as if I stop breathing normally which I guess is a definition of apnea events... but wow do I feel worthless for the next day... I think for me the goal is not just initiating sleep but staying asleep for at least 6 hrs and getting the right ratios of stages... my understanding is delta, slow wave sleep is reduced with age but sometimes medications or herbs can help boost it.... dreams are always a good sign, the goal is to feel in my consciousness that I just fell off the turnip truck and have to figure out life all over again... that is not a bad feeling.

Working on the rhythm again... trying to be down by one thirty, end of week try to make it midnight, and so on...

Yes, melatonin... tryotophan... valerian in the bob marley drink.