Obama 'guarantees' action on stem cells

danny

WILLIAMSBURG| President Obama on Thursday gave lawmakers his "guarantee" he will sign an executive order overturning President Bush's embryonic stem cell research policy.

Meeting with House Democrats holding a retreat here, Mr. Obama answered a question from Rep. James R. Langevin, a Rhode Island Democrat who is a paraplegic, by saying he will sign the order, according to three sources who were in the closed-door part of the meeting.

"I guarantee you that we will sign an executive order for stem cells," Mr. Obama said, according to the sources who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about the closed-door portion of the meeting.

Mr. Obama said the executive order would be coordinated with Congress on timing, and said it was important that Congress also pass a law codifying his order so that a future president couldn't simply reverse the policy back.

In 2001, Mr. Bush signed an order early in his presidency allowing federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, though limiting it only to lines that existed at that point. Congress has twice passed a bill expanding funding beyond Mr. Bush's policy but he vetoed it, and lawmakers were unable to override it.

The research is theoretically promising because embryonic stem cells can turn into any kind of human cell, which holds out the possibility of miracle cures via the production of patient-specific healthy cells untainted by disease or degeneration.

However, harvesting the cells destroys the embryo, which has raised moral criticism of the research as a form of murder the reason for Mr. Bush limiting the research to lines where the decision about life and death already had been made. Research done outside U.S. federal auspices also has yielded few tangible results.

In Williamsburg, the private Q&A portion Mr. Obama spoke in public for 22 minutes about his stimulus spending bill, ditching his prepared remarks for much of the time to deliver a fiery plea to Democrats and a mocking rebuke to Republicans.

He blamed "cable chatter" for distorting the debate, and said, "aren't you all tired of that stuff?"

"I don't care whether you're driving a hybrid or an SUV, if you're headed for a cliff you've got to change direction," he said. "That's what the American people called for in November, and that's what we intend to deliver."

In fielding questions, Mr. Obama was asked how he planned to keep his millions of supporters engaged going forward, and he said he was counting on the Democratic National Committee to manage that effort. He said he was about to launch "Obama 2.0."

It was the president's first trip out of Washington since being inaugurated, and marked his first flight as president aboard Air Force One. He came back to the press cabin at the back of the plane to talk with reporters as the plane was taxiing for liftoff, and he was sporting a brand new blue Air Force One crew jacket with his name stitched on the breast.

"I?ve got my spiffy jacket so I thought I?d come and show it off," he said.

"It?s good to see you guys. What do you think about this spiffy ride? It?s not bad," he told the press, who he visited in their rear compartment before the flight took off.

He also raved about the view from Marine One, which ferries the president from the lawn of the White House to Andrews Air Force Base, where Air Force One always awaits him.

"The helicopter was very smooth, very impressive, you go right over the Washington Monument and then, you know, kind of curves in by the Capitol. It was spectacular."

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Mr. President - We're waiting!!!!

Obama Yet To Lift Restrictions On Embryonic Stem Cell Research

Proponents of embryonic stem cell research continue to await President Obama's expected executive order to lift former President George W. Bush's restrictions on federal funding for research on embryonic stem cell lines created after August 2001, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports. According to the Inquirer, many proponents expected Obama to issue the executive order within his first days of taking office but now are "looking for explanations while insisting that Obama's support has not wavered" in his support of embryonic stem cell research. Rep. Mike Castle (R-Del.) speculated that Obama would sign the order "in a few weeks," adding that he sees "no bump in the road."

Bush's 2001 policy limits federal funding for embryonic stem cell research to several dozen existing stem cell lines. Researchers say that about 20 stem cell lines remain viable but that new lines are needed to continue progress. Obama during the campaign said that he would reverse Bush's policy. However, during a CNN interview on Jan. 16, Obama said that he would "prefer" that Congress pass legislation to remove the restrictions "because those are the people's representatives." Some researchers also believe that the policy would be better set through a comprehensive law rather than an executive order, which could later be revoked. Wise Young, a neuroscientist at Rutgers University, said, "We need a law so we don't have this political football. If Obama simply rescinds the Bush order, it lets Congress off the hook," adding that he believes that Obama is not "backpedaling" on his pledge.

Castle said that both an executive order and legislation are needed and that he intends to reintroduce the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act along with Rep. Diana DeGette (D-Colo.), which Bush vetoed twice. The bill would allow federal funding for stem-cell research using embryos donated by couples who underwent infertility treatments. The Inquirer reports that observers point to Congress' continuous renewal of the 14-year-old Dickey-Wicker Amendment -- which bans the use of federal funds for research that creates or destroys human embryos -- as another reason that Obama might lean toward congressional action. The amendment was first passed as part of the budget for NIH, which is the primary source of federal funding for biomedical research. Over the last eight years, NIH has awarded "a relatively minuscule $300 million" of its $28 billion annual budget for embryonic stem cell research permitted under the Bush administration, the Inquirer reports.

According to the Inquirer, stem-cell researchers would "settle for new NIH guidelines that legitimize, rather than stigmatize, their work." John Gearhart, a stem-cell researcher with the University of Pennsylvania, said, "All we're asking for is for more access to federal money and for our applications to be received with an open mind" (McCullough, Philadelphia Inquirer, 2/3).

Reprinted with kind permission from http://www.nationalpartnership.org.

danny

Obama says stem cell research will blossom

WILLIAMSBURG, Va., Feb. 6 (UPI) -- U.S. President Barack Obama told House Democrats he will reverse his predecessor's limit on federal funding for stem cell research.

Obama said, "I guarantee you that we will sign an executive order for stem cells," two participants told the White House press pool at the Williamsburg, Va., Democratic retreat.

U.S. President George Bush had restricted federal funding for projects requiring new stem cell lines.

Obama told House Democrats he wants to work with the House and Senate to ensure his executive order on stem cell research has teeth.

"God gave us (the) power to make smart decisions to cure diseases, to alleviate suffering," the president said.

Rep. David Scott of Georgia asked Obama to continue funding for the F-22 Raptor, saying it would mean 50,000 jobs in his district, retreat participants said. The president said he would make any funding decision after discussions with the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Responding to questions about Afghanistan and Pakistan, Obama said U.S. policy toward Afghanistan was "in the midst of a number of reviews." Pakistan must be approached with a combination of military and diplomatic efforts, he said.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
danny

Did you read this part?

Over the last eight years, NIH has awarded "a relatively minuscule $300 million" of its $28 billion annual budget for embryonic stem cell research permitted under the Bush administration, the Inquirer reports.
Bush alloted $28 Billion for embryonic stem cell research to the National Insititute of Health (NIH), however, the NIH has been holding on to the money having release only $300million of it. Perhaps we should be holding the NIH accountable rather than Bush.

danny

The average person never hears that stuff you quoted. I just want more media to come out about them so adult stem cells will move faster. I think either adult or some other deravitive will reverse COPD.. not embryonic cells... oh well.. have good weekend everyone!

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
danny

That's why I stressed that part of the article so people can see for themselves what is going on. I want people to get angry and do something about it. This is the first I have ever heard about the NIH having received so much money. Where is it?