New drug combo may boost stem cell production

lraynak

Pioneer Founding member
By Michael Kahn ? Thu Jan 8, 11:51 am ET
LONDON (Reuters) ? A novel drug combination using Genzyme Corp's Mozobil shows it may be possible to spur bone marrow into releasing extra adult stem cells into the bloodstream to repair the heart and broken bones, researchers said on Thursday.
The study of mice raises hope that researchers could use the same technique to tackle autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis in which the body confuses healthy tissues for foreign substances and attacks itself, they said.
"We hope that by releasing extra stem cells, as we were able to do in mice in our new study, we could potentially call up extra numbers of whichever stem cells the body needs," said Sara Rankin of Imperial College London, who led the study.
"Our work could lead to new treatments to fight various diseases and injuries which work by mobilizing a person's own stem cells from within."
Stem cells are the body's master cells, giving rise to various tissues and the blood. They are found throughout the organs, blood and tissue and are in immature form until they generate needed cell types.
Doctors hope to use them some day in a new field called regenerative medicine in which tailor-made transplants of tissues and perhaps organs can be grown from a patient's own cells.
Rankin and her team looked at mesenchymal stem cells -- immature cells than can give rise to bone, muscle or blood vessels -- and endothelial cells that help make blood vessels in the heart.
They treated healthy mice with one of two proteins that occur naturally in bone marrow called VEGF and G-CSF growth factor. Following this treatment the mice received Genzyme's stem-cell transplantation drug Mozobil.
Researchers know that G-CSF in combination with Mozobil mobilizes one kind of stem cell used in bone marrow transplantation known as hematopoetic stem cells, which give rise to blood cells. But Rankin and colleagues wanted to see if VEGF growth factor could stimulate other types of stem cells involved in building heart and bone tissue and blood vessels.
The team, which reported the findings in the journal Cell Stem Cell, found that mice given VEGF and Mozobil released around 100 times as many endothelial and mesenchymal stem cells into the bloodstream compared to mice that had no treatment.
While trials of the drug combinations in humans is years away, the researchers said the next step is determining in mice whether the technique actually helps repair damage, Rankin said.
"One of the exciting aspects is this would be a non-invasive treatment," she said in a telephone interview. "With this you are just giving a drug to promote what is a natural process."

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Time for a cheer to Larry and the rest of us

Larrry - I truly believe that CellAdvance which is an AFA product that I take is responsible for releasing so many stem cells in me that at my last autologous therapy, I had double the amount extracted from me as I did the first time. As you know, SeaChange is conducting a treatment protocol of this product with a well known researcher to see if the product really does do this. The researcher said the same thing as the article you posted did and that is that it is like having stem cell therapy right inside your own body. Jeannine and I feel strongly about the testing of this product and that is why we have gone ahead with the treatment protocol. It will be reviewed by an Investigational Review Board and results will be published. I never thought a few years ago that this is the type of thing I would now be involved in, but it is exciting. Every time I hear that someone is feeling better or got successful treatment, it makes my day. It is why we keep up the quest. For those of you that don't know Larry, he is one of the Pioneer founding members. He does a lot of research on his own, reading volumes of published papers (which is no easy task), participating in the treatment protocol, trying various things such as HBOT and he documents everything very precisely. When people criticize some of us for being pioneers, I cannot understand it in the least. We are experimenting on ourselves, on our own time, at our own expense in an effort to help find a cure. I think that three cheers are in order for every member of this forum as you have all taken the first step and that is a lot more than any naysayer I have ever heard from. And Larry keep up the good work.

Jane

CellAdvance

I have been taking the CellAdvance product now for several months and can say that my knees are not in pain anymore. Only tests will show if I have grown cartlidge or not but something is happening. I just hope I am getting more in my heart as well. It will be mid Feb. before I would qualify to get more lubricating injections to make the bones move over each other but by this time previously I would be counting the days. At this point I am not inclined to go for more injections. :)

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Hi Jane

That is wonderful news! I know several people who have asked me to let them know if people with these types of problems could be helped with Cell Advance. Thanks for posting this.

I take it everyday and if I miss a day or two I can notice the difference.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Jane - What dosage are you using of the CellAdvance product? Also, did you cut out any OTC meds while taking it? I am really pleased to hear that it is working for you. Thanks for letting us know!