My Mother Suffers from Alzheimer's Disease. I Understand That This Greatly Increases

Courtesy of Bottom Line Health

Q: My mother suffers from Alzheimer?s disease. I understand that this greatly increases my risk. Is there anything I can do to reduce my risk?

A: People whose mothers have or had Alzheimer?s do have a heightened risk of getting the disease. (People whose fathers have or had Alzheimer?s do not appear to be at increased risk.) But even if your mother had Alzheimer?s, you can take special care of your health to lower controllable risk factors. The more factors you control, the less chance there is that you will develop the disease.</STRONG>
Get a thorough medical examination. Focus on reducing high blood pressure and cholesterol and preventing or controlling diabetes, all of which increase the risk for cardiovascular disease and, in turn, increase the risk for dementia. Exercise regularly... quit smoking... and eat a healthful diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Increase consumption of foods high in antioxidants (including vitamins C and E, beta-carotene and omega-3 fatty acids), such as oranges, grapefruit, salmon, nuts and broccoli. If you drink, have one glass of red wine a day.