MS patient grateful for stem-cell treatment, community support

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Isn't a shame that this treatment is no longer available in Costa Rica. Another gift from Irv and his pals.

By Kati O?Hare
Daily Press Writer
Published/Last Modified on Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:10 AM MDT

RIDGWAY - Taking a hike with a grandchild is a joy to any grandparent, but to multiple sclerosis patient Mary Posta - just six months past her stem-cell treatment - that experience is a blessing.

?I went with my granddaughter to Washington state, and there was a beach about a half-mile down a nature trail that we would walk every day together,? Posta said. ?That is something that I couldn?t have done before Costa Rica. Now, it didn?t phase me.?

Posta went to Costa Rica on Feb. 8 after raising $30,000 in nine months - mostly from strangers - for her stem-cell treatment. She enrolled in an intensive four-week program of stem-cell and physical therapies.
Mary Posta and her granddaughter hit up a photo booth during their visit to Washington state after Posta?s stem-cell treatment in Costa Rica. (Courtesy Photo)

Advertisement

Posta first made headlines in the Daily Press in January, when she urged people to stop donating money because she had received what she needed.

Now, six months after therapy, she wants to let people know she is doing well.

?I can walk, talk, sleep. I am doing great,? she said.

She still has some problems, such as numbness in her right arm. ?But it?s stuff I can live with. Compared to the improvements, I have no complaints. Sometimes my balance is off, but that could be age.?

Posta celebrated her 60th birthday on March 12, four days after returning from Costa Rica.

And it?s not only trips to the beach she?s been able to enjoy since.

?My granddaughter is 4 years old, and when we got back (from the beach) and I made it with no problems, we had lunch and we kept going,? Posta said. ?We went to the zoo and walked all over. I got tired, but normal tired.?

Normal hasn?t been in Posta?s vocabulary much.

For the full story, see today's print edition. The online story may not reflect all relevant

http://www.montrosepress.com/articles/2010/09/19/news/doc4c958c7c62453585756827.txt

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I guess someone forgot to tell Mary that Costa Rica doesn't allow stem cell therapy there any more because the treatments don't work. Yes, it is a shame that the ISSCR got to the officials in Costa Rica, but luckily, Panama is not that far away and that is where the company moved that gave Mary her treatment.