Medscape Medical News FDA Panel Backs New COPD Combination Medication

Pedk

Medscape

I went to Medscape Medical News and read about the new COPD medication. Is it me or are there some extensive side effects they are warning about?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Most medications have some side effects for some patients. It amazes me how the FDA seems to be alright with that and yet is preventing patients from accessing their own stem cells when the safety record there is so much better. Makes no sense to me.

From the site that Pedk is talking about in case the link goes cold:

Serious adverse effects include paradoxical bronchospasm, cardiovascular effects, acute narrow-angle glaucoma, and worsening of urinary retention. The most frequent adverse effects reported by patients using the drug included pharyngitis, sinusitis, lower respiratory tract infection, constipation, diarrhea, extremity pain, muscle spasms, neck pain, and chest pain, according to the FDA.

The drug will carry a boxed warning stating that long-acting beta-agonists raise the risk for asthma-related death. The safety and efficacy of the umeclidinium/vilanterol combination have not been established in patients with asthma, and the combination is not approved for asthma treatment. It also is not intended to be used as a rescue therapy for sudden breathing problems, including bronchospasm, the FDA statement notes.

Pedk

Dallas Buyers Club - excellent commentary on the FDA

Barbara, I recently watched a biography called the "Dallas Buyers Club". This is a movie starring Matthew McConaughey. Matthew's character had AIDS in the early days of AIDS (early '80s).

The Character Matthew played tried to live more than the one month his doctors gave him. He went to Mexico and bought mainly non-FDA blocked proteins and vitamins. Everything he bought in Mexico was legal to take over the counter and without a doctors prescription. The fight came from the FDA with Matthew's character when he continued to live and started selling to other AIDS patients who wanted to live as well.

To circumvent the law, a buyers club was established. If you paid $400 a month to be a member, the club would provide you with all the vitamins and proteins necessary to stay alive.

By the end, the FDA came in like storm troopers and shut him down and the other buyers clubs around the country were also shut down.

The approach to stem cells has happened before. Cheers. Peter

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Yes it has. Let's not forget Dr. Burzynski, Tesla, Rife, Dr. Gold and a few others who have also been shut down for similar reasons.