Lung repair drug trial

Lee

Patients given hope of lung repair drug.

Feb 6 2008 By Catherine Vonledebur, Health Reporter

A NEW drug which could repair lung damage in patients with emphysema is to be tried out at Coventry's University Hospital.
Coventry is one of 70 worldwide research centres - and the only UK hospital - taking part in pioneering new research into the causes and treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Patients with COPD, which includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema, are being invited to take part in the two-year research study.
Dr David Parr, a consultant respiratory physician at University Hospital, said: "We are performing a trial of a potential new drug which could repair lung damage in patients with emphysema. Research is needed to provide evidence that patients who take a daily tablet of the drug, which is related to Vitamin A, experience health benefits as a result of repair to areas of damaged lung."
Patients needed for the study must have emphysema and must not have smoked for at least 12 months.
A second research study will look at finding the genes responsible for the development of COPD.
Dr Parr said: "We hope that by identifying the genes we will be able to discover why chronic obstructive pulmonary lung disease occurs, so that in the future we can find better treatments."
Both of these studies have been made possible because of technical advances in the scanners used to take pictures of the lungs.
Images can be transferred onto computers, allowing more accurate assessments of lung disease.
Dr Parr added: "We are looking for people from across the country, as well as those living in the Midlands, to take part in these two important research studies."
Patients who are interested in taking part in one of the trials should write to Dr Parr at University Hospital, Clifford Bridge Road, Coventry CV2 2DX.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/src/webroot/coventrytelegraph/news/coventry-news/2008/02/06/patients-given-hope-of-lung-repair-drug-50003-20441543/2/

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thanks for posting this Lee. I made a copy and sent it to Anney who is a UK member who is feeling poorly right now. I hope they still need some volunteers.

zar

I recived a letter from them saying they do not require anymore volunteers for this trial,but will keep me posted about the out come, and also for me to enter other trials

J

JC the Fox

Who is "them"?

Is this the TESRA trial? May I ask from whom you got a reply?

zar

Is this the TESRA trial? May I ask from whom you got a reply?
Dr D Parr MA,MD,MRCP
Consultant Respiratory Physician
University Hospitals
Coventry and Warwickshire
Coventry
tel 024 7696 400
fax:024 7696 6056
www.uhcw.nhs.uk.

Part of letter,
...............Nevertheless there are other studies that we are undertaking and since you have expressed an intrest it participating in research into COPD,I intened to keep you notified of any development or opportunity to enrol in further studies.

Dated:31st March 2008

J

JC the Fox

Thanks

On the Hoffman-LaRouche site is an international number and a toll-free number for the US. I called the US number, and I was told that they are no longer recruiting. However, some of the trial sites showed that they were still actively recruiting, including the one I had gone to in SC; so I called them and was told that the enrolment was, in fact, closed.

Hopefully, there will be others soon.

Ed in NH

Haven't we seen this before?

I hope I'm not bursting any bubbles here, but isn't this the same retinol A trials that were tried here in the states a few years ago? These trials were a complete bust - it didn't work at all in repairing lung tissue or slowing the disease down.

Someone set me straight please.

Ed in NH

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Retinoic acid

Ed - These posts are a couple of months old, but I personally was invited by National Jewish to participate in a study using retinoic acid in the spring of 2007. I had just had stem cell therapy, so I declined. I knew of 3 people previously that had participated in a similar trial and all of them were very pleased with the results and also very upset when the trial ended and they could no longer get the retinoic acid. I am sure that none of them would agree that it was a complete bust. I am not privy to actual records or published reports of the trials and I don't even know if they are still going on, but I wanted to tell you what I knew. I would gladly participate in a trial using retinoic acid. I have heard too many good things about it to discount it at this point.

Ed in NH

Great news. Glad I was wrong. I wonder if its a dosage thing or a delivery thing that may make vit. A viable....

Ed in NH

By the way, there are compounding pharmacies out there who, on request, could probably make the retinoic acid at a specified dosage. The vitamin shoppe here in the US is one such place, but you would need a script. There are places in Canada and Mexico that will do compounding without a script.

Just a thought.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
If a person knows what they are doing, that may be something to consider, however fooling around with retinoic acid is not advised unless you truly do know the proper dosage.

Ed in NH

Agreed. Viatmin A is toxic, fat soluble and nothing to fool around with. Retinoic acid (a reduced form of Vitamin A) is especially toxic.