lovlee condition!

Lovlee

I am new to this sight and do not always understand the jargon. I have COPD, my Doctor tells me it is severe COPD. I am not on oxygen and of course do not want to be. I was diagnosed about two years ago. I had a polmenary test at that time and another this past week. They were the same in results. I have been on ventoline, symbicort, and spiriva ever since the first test. I also do breathing exercises every day. With my Doctors advice I have a safe room in my home. (air purifier, moisturizer, and to much solitude.) There is only so much I can do to keep busy. I get a lot of exercise going up and down stairs. Going in the car to church or Doctors is about all I get to do. I wear a face mask when in crowds (except church.) I have been sick most of the time since the first of Nov.2013. I catch every thing. I don't understand a lot of this, because I don't wheeze, I don't have phelym, and I seldom cough, I'm told my lungs are clear,but I have had series of shots, antibiotics and four and one half zpacks. I just can't breath well and get very tired. Not to long ago I was working on building a building with my husband. I was climbing scaffle and doing a lot of hard work. Because of all the above I have been researching my condition and found stem cell therapy. I have made many phone call around the country and have come to decide on going for stem cell treatment in two week (Mar. 16th). Dr. Barmada is his name. I've talked with his staff and with him at length. I'll be there three days. He is located in Mississippi. I would like some input on this, if anyone knows anything about any of this. I went for Dr. background, length of time doing this, distance and cost. Cost is important but not the deciding factor. Only one that said if another time was needed cost would be less. Can anyone shed some light. I feel so in the dark. Your friend LEE

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Welcome to the forum Lee. Dr. Barmada is part of a network of doctors who administer adipose (from your own fat) derived stem cells. There is no way to know how you will respond as all patients are different. I would suggest you go to the Ask the Doctor section and read through some of the Q and A's posted there as many of the questions pertain to COPD. Many doctors do offer reduced rates for subsequent treatments. Some have complementary therapies that they include as well. You might ask your doctor about Daliresp. It can prevent exacerbations. I have taken it for several years and have not had anything more than a cold. It's not for everyone though as it can have side effects. They normally go away in a few weeks, but for some they are too difficult to deal with. Inhaled glutathione might be something else to ask about that could help you. I've also found acupuncture to be a good therapy.

There are different kinds of COPD as well. My own doctor, Dr. Grossman, hosted Ask the Doctor last month and gave a good explanation as to why some patients respond better to stem cell treatment than others.

The last 2 treatments I've had have really have made a huge difference for me. I never had a WOW moment after either treatment, but I have experienced slow and steady quality of life improvements. I no longer have COPD ruling my life and for that I'm grateful. I've completely stopped the progression of my disease, reduced my medications greatly, reduced the lpms of oxygen I require and feel like I am among the living again.

Stem cell treatment can greatly reduce inflammation which is major component of COPD. If you expect reasonable results and not a miracle cure, keep a positive attitude, take care of your health the best you possibly can, follow all pre and post instructions from your doctor, then that is one step towards living a better life. Be careful when you travel and don't overdo it post treatment. That's about the best advice I can give.

Do you own an oximeter? If not, it would be wise to get one. This way you can check your oxygen saturation level whenever you want. You can purchase one at Walgreen's or most stores with pharmacies or online. I do hope the treatment will get you on the road to feeling a lot better.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have. Please do read through the Ask the Doctor section, especially the more recent ones (the stem cell world is forever changing). I hope they will give you more insight. You can also submit your own questions for Ask the Doctor. Instructions and announcements for who is hosting the present month are always posted in the Ask the Doctor section.

Are you having treatment on April 16? I wasn't sure from your post.