Liter Flow for Concentrator

Pat Chronister

Pioneer Member
Five yrs ago I went 24/7 and prescribed l l/2 ltr for concentrator and 2 ltr when exercising. Last yr. I had to increase to 3 ltr on treadmill but OK with 2 ltr for other gym exercises. Now, I can't figure out what setting is best for concentrator. I've left it at 2 ltr (nite and day) but that doesn't seem adequate during day. At 2 1/2 (almost 3) movement is easier, but I don't like the feeling when I also sometimes get oximeter reading of 97 while sitting down. I can't be running to the machine every time I get up or sit down. The pulmo dr. isn't much help. Anyone have similar concerns - how have you handled it?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Nose hose woes

What kind of a feeling do you get when sitting down that you don't like? There is nothing wrong with 97. I sometimes feel like I am getting too much O2 also and if I am sitting, I simply take the nose hose off for awhile or have the nasal cannula sit a little beneath your nostrils. I get a slight headache and a feeling like a hurricane is inside my nose when I have too much O2. I think as you start feeling better and are able to get around more that you will see your O2 needs decrease even when you aren't sitting. It takes awhile to build your strength back up. This is where daily use of the Power Lung is going to help you. Two times a day at least. You are building strength and endurance by using it.

Pat Chronister

Pioneer Member
concentrator ltr flow setting

When it's set too high, I feel like oxygen is pouring into my body and overflowing. I do take the cannula out when that happens and the saturation numbers go down FAST to 90 and I have to work hard to keep them there.
I have a nice story to tell about the Power Lung Co. I found the instruction booklet to be confusing - some places it mentions breathing slowly and other times talks of breathing quickly. I called Power Lung Co and Mike (with that wonderful British accent) answered. He agreed the booklet does need some work. He explained how I should be using the Lung and then had me put it in my mouth and do a complete set with the sound of my breathing into the phone for him to hear. He spent at least 30 min. or more with me. His personal instruction was a big help.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Too much O2 and then not enough.

Pat - Desaturating to 90 is okay. Working hard to keep it that way is okay. When you tire of that however, you probably need to put the nose hose back on. If you are sitting for a long time, turn the O2 down is all I can think of. How delightful that you got personal instruction from the inventor of the PowerLung himself. Everyone at that company is very nice and helpful. Our forum is going to become an authorized dealer which we are very excited about. I hope to be able to have details by next week.