Installment 44 - Ask the Doctor with Dr Kadish/World Stem Cells

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
About Dr Kadish

Dr. Kadish, NMD, ND, CCT, ABAAM (diplomat) has been working for a number of years with World Stem Cells, LLC overseeing the development and execution of excellence in patient care, along with expansion and refinement of protocols, for both patients and research, utilizing cellular therapies. He was a primary care practitioner providing integrated family care for 26 years before transitioning to his current position. For more information see: http://worldstemcells.com/corporate-leadership.html

Patient Management, Laboratory and Clinical Facility Bio:
World Stem Cells, LLC is a patient management service that offers the highest quality of healthcare options, utilizing science based stem cell technologies, at an affordable cost, to consumers.
World Stem Cells, LLC provides an exclusive contact with Advanced Cellular Medicine Clinic, a clinical facility located in Cancun, Mexico and staffed by licensed board certified physicians. The facility includes a world-class laboratory and clinic featuring a wide range of specialty services, operating under Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) & Current Good Laboratory Practice (cGLP) regulations, with advanced cellular processing equipment. Advanced Biocellular Engineering laboratory now has multiple cell harvesting capabilities including the use of adipose, bone marrow and cord blood derived stem cells. All cells are identified, counted and assessed for viability.
We participate in accurate documentation of all procedures and are the 2nd clinic to be accepted into the process of international accreditation, administered by the ICMS (International Cellular Medicine Society). Our contract private hospital, Amerimed Hospital, is accredited and identical to most American facilities. Advanced Cellular Medicine Clinic utilizes this hospital setting, for our lumbar procedures, insuring patient safety and comfort.
We are engaged in research, for a number of diseases. Currently we are involved with an American approved research project, in Cancun, and expect to publish results next year.
Our areas of cellular expertise involve autoimmune, neurological, ophthalmic and orthopedic disorders. Please see our website for a partial listing of disorders treated. This will be updated and additional educational material will be available shortly. www.worldstemcells.com
Board certified, disease specific physicians, along with a staff of ancillary therapists, compliment our expanding staff.
We encourage prospective patients to utilize our free services to evaluate their suitability for stem cell therapy, via the free consultation form on the website or by calling.
Our website is at:www.worldstemcells.com Phone: 800-234-1693.

Questions and Answers

Q: My daughter had a bad car accident in June, 2003. She was 18 at the time and was in a coma for 5 months. It's 8 years later and she is still recovering. Two years ago she started hyperbaric oxygen treatments. She had over 120 treatments and can walk unassisted in a swimming pool. Her balance has been affected by the accident. I am looking for some advice about stem cells. What kind of stem cells are needed for the brain and do they need to be injected into the brain?
A: Let’s begin with the last question. I am not a proponent of any intracranial injections, period. There have been some associated deaths and so far limited data to suggest this approach is superior or even appropriate.
With that said I am a proponent of stem cell therapy for brain restoration therapy. Lets be clear on our terms. There is documentation regarding white matter formation post stem cell treatments. Specifically with reference to balance one should consider if cerebellar changes have taken place or are other issues responsible for her unsteadiness.
We have had the experience of substantially better objective balance in a CMT patient, post treatment. The change in balance control has also been observed in our MS and Parkinson’s patients.
There are many questions to address if a post MVA patient would benefit. Consider first if the cerebral blood supply is adequate, how much damage was actually physically done to the brain stem and I would venture that the 120 hBOT treatments will or have plateaued in their effect, hence the areas known as a penumbra (areas of limited function with a degree of ischemia, but not necrotic (i.e. not a dead area) have achieved their maximal response, secondary to the increased oxygen pressure from the treatments. Curiously there is a large amount of lab work done showing that increased production of stem cells actually occurs in a mild hypoxic, not hyperbaric state. You will note that in many cell-culturing environments, we intentionally induce a 5% CO2 mixture to stimulate growth.
Also consider that the current consensus of brain development is that we reach a peak of development at ~25 year of age. I would consider an fMR or a SPECT scan to determine the current status of the brain. Physical therapy is an absolute, so keep up the pool work.
I am an eternal optimist, after 26 years of clinical practice, one experiences too many “unusual”occurrences with proper treatment. So my message is that stem cell therapy could potentially be a helpful resource, for further recovery.

Q: Do you treat COPD? If so, what does your treatment consist of?
A: We do treat COPD. The nice part of treatment with COPD patients is the lung trapping effect of IV therapy with Stem Cells. Literature suggests that ~80% of induced IV stem cells will indeed remain in the lungs.
We use a combination approach including induction of stem cells followed by a harvest and processing and/or expansion and then a reintroduction, along with adjuvant inputs including respiratory exercises, growth factors, and other stimulatory medications.
Our clinic uses objective lung function measurements and insists on having past data available to clearly document pre and post treatment changes.
Progressive disorders, such as COPD, need documentation over an extended period of time to get a sense of the amount, direction and degree of change. The ICMS and our clinical follow up will yield new insights into the results of treatment.

Q: Please tell us what you are doing as far as your involvement with ICMS. Why did you choose to go through the accreditation process?
A: We adapted the ICMS model of reporting and long term follow up, from the first patients forward. My involvement was predicated on a science-based approach with publishable data.
The ICMS is the only group doing a true service to the stem cell industry and patients when it comes to treatment centers. It is essential than an independent organization define what constitutes an acceptable, safe stem cell clinical operation and enforce those standards.
We are currently on the 4th of 10 steps in the accreditation process, which typically takes 18-24 month to complete.
I very clearly see the industry as a fragmented minefield for patients. In our area of the world, Cancun, there is a range of services from outright fraudulent to downright dangerous and then our clinic has chosen another route, a science based approach with transparency, board certified physicians for specific diseases, together with an accredited private hospital association.
The ICMS accreditation process insures others that oversight by an independent agency is truly taking place on an ongoing basis and the patient will have a means of communications for an extended period of time (20 years). Ultimately this will define the benefits and risks in the industry and steer consumers to an appropriate resource for their needs.

Q: Are you working on an approach to regrow teeth? Do you think it is a reality or science fiction?
A: No, sorry this is not our area of expertise.
Is it science fiction, absolutely not. With the new scaffolding techniques, bioreactors and a host of innovative approaches this will be a normal part of dentistry in a number of years.

Q: What is the treatment protocol for a teenager with Autistic Spectrum Disorder? Do you use autologous bone marrow stem cells or allogenic cells?
A: We use autologous bone marrow. Although there are clinics seeing changes in youngsters with cord blood, at Advance Biocellular Medicine Clinic the greatest changes, to date, have been with the use of bone marrow derived stem cells.
We firmly believe that a lumbar puncture to overcome the blood/ brain barrier may be an essential approach. At the Advanced Biocellular Medicine Clinic the stem cell therapy is coupled with other inputs including: stimulation both medicinal, to increase the stem cell harvest, along with physical and occupational therapy, both pre and post-treatment.
I am a firm believer in the biomedical approach based on the extensive research conducted by the many contributors world wide at Autism Research Instituteto address ASD treatment.
Together with stem cell therapy this combination has proved the most efficacious method of addressing the multiple areas of dysfunction. We typically see change in fairly short time intervals and our current data suggests permanence and progressive changes for a number of the patients.

Q: Are your treatments mostly one day treatments or do patients stay at the clinic or a hospital for several days?
A: The treatments are spread over a 5-7 day period for most patients. There are no appropriate one-day therapies. I would counter that to get proper laboratory information, coupled with proper stimulation it will always involve more than a day or so. There are specific protocols for each disorder, however all treatments are based on our laboratory results for the individual patient. I can’t emphasis this adequately as its essential to modify dosages, medications used, and a host of other factors to personalize and maximize patient’s results.

Q: What one or two conditions do you feel respond the best to stem cell therapy?
A: If I had to choose two conditions, clearly the most responsive in our experience are autoimmune and neurological disorders. They seem to benefit greatly due to the change in what we think is cytokine expression in addition to the cellular aspects. These chemical modulators of inflammation and immune dysregulation are the key to what is currently one of the theories of some of the stem cell treatments effects.
The seeding from the cellular therapy also appears to populate the target areas of disease.
Our experiences have shown substantial changes in a number of our patients, well in excess of our expectations in these categories. Remember that these two groups span a host of diseases sharing similar pathway disorders. Even those that share the two components of autoimmune and neurological impacts, such as Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease (CMT) have responded to treatment.

Q: Are you doing any gene therapy or do you anticipate doing any in the not too distant future?
A: All of our actions, especially in stem cell therapy, modify gene expression. This response is the science of what we term epigenetics. The simple intake of a vitamin or a myriad of environmental factors is a form of gene therapy. If you’re referring to intentional physical gene manipulation we currently have such limited tools and understanding of the interactions that it’s truly grossly experimental. Remember that to even evaluate your own genetic materials fully is a multi thousand dollar affair. The price is expected to drop radically over the next year, however the interaction of a multitude of our genes is still not fully mapped. So society is a bit premature in the full use of gene therapy in the strictist sense.
Will this be the future shortly, absolutely? I perceive that within a two to three year period, based on the current research and the steeply declining price of laboratory evaluation, gene therapy will become a common part of family planning and personalized medicine. We closely monitor the field and are very interested in providing that service when it reaches a more mature point in science.

Q: My child has cerebral palsy. Do you treat it and if so how and with what kind of stem cells? Is there a minimum age you will treat if you do treat it?
A: Yes we do. I would love to suggest you explore our website at cerebral palsy on our site. Please reference the interview with one of our latest cp clients, Warren. The interview with the parents and the updated e-mails reflect our expectations including a decrease in spasticity, increased awareness and energy, along with an increase in overall ROM. Our youngest children are 4 years old.
We use bone marrow with a complete host of ancillary treatments including medications and inputs to stimulate the implant of stem cells, both pre and post treatment.

Q: If someone doesn't feel any change in their condition in the first couple of months, is it likely that the stem cells aren't helping?
A: Some of the literature has suggested that at the 3-month mark one should expect whatever change will take place. This is not our clinical experience.
Our current multi-year results have shown us that some people continue to improve over a long course of time, including years. While others seem to note the improvements rapidly, in weeks and plateau.
There needs to be a large cohort of similar disorder patients to really see the trends and address your question.
We have been posting information from patient e-mails regarding their experiences for varying periods of time. Check our site for updates. As an example, Patricia a CMT patient has been seeing progressive positive changes for the last 8 months. We are currently starting a clinical study to evaluate this subset of patients and determine if there is a plateau or if/when slowing of improvements takes place. Together with the information we, at World Stem Cells,LLC and ICMS collect, a clearer pattern should emerge.