I'm Looking FOr Someone That I Can Have Ongoing Discussion With

Noitartst

I've so far found there to be a disappointing lack of talk on this forum, and would love it if there was someone who wanted to talk with me about stem cells, to talk with. I have found it hard not to have anyone to go in-depth with, and hope that there is someone that feels likewise.

Specifically, I am fascinated by stem cells, and anti-aging, and think the breakthroughs we constantly hear about wil take us further, and faster, to agelessness than is commonly thought, or even conceived of. Yes, death will still happen, but once we master supply, repair, and maintenance of the body, specifically the stem cells, our flesh machines will just go on operating, baring some massive, physical tragedy.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
It would be nice to have someone active in the field to be able to have a continued dialog with, but it's not likely to happen here. You might find more in depth discussions on academic or professional forums. Personally, I find the lack of comments on the open forum disappointing as well, but many members on this forum have serious illnesses and/or are afraid to post due to insecurity about how to go about doing it. I have said repeatedly that getting involved is far more important than worrying about what section to post in or worrying if your question or comment might seem silly. After doing this for years, there are times I am tempted to say enough, but at this point, I am not quite ready to do that. I feel we are very close to some exciting breakthroughs. Moderating this forum keeps me up to date on what's happening and I do enjoy the members that take the time to post or correspond with me.

Since you are interested in anti-aging, it's disappointing that you didn't submit any questions for this month's Ask the Doctor host, Lee Buckler. Watch for the Q and A session with him to appear in the Spotlight section later this month.

SammyJo

This is a good newsletter to subscribe to Fight Aging! Newsletter
https://www.fightaging.org/newsletter/

I've posted comments on their articles about how stem cells are good for anti-aging, and they are finally starting to focus on that more.
If you make comments on their articles, then post the article here at SCP that will encourage cross talk and more discussions.
It is funny how the anti-aging crowd has sort of missed the stem cells boat. If stem cells can save you from dying, what is more anti-aging than that?
I guess the next question is, can stem cells administered to a healthy person, keep them from aging?

Noitartst

It would be nice to have someone active in the field to be able to have a continued dialog with, but it's not likely to happen here. You might find more in depth discussions on academic or professional forums. Personally, I find the lack of comments on the open forum disappointing as well, but many members on this forum have serious illnesses and/or are afraid to post due to insecurity about how to go about doing it. I have said repeatedly that getting involved is far more important than worrying about what section to post in or worrying if your question or comment might seem silly. After doing this for years, there are times I am tempted to say enough, but at this point, I am not quite ready to do that. I feel we are very close to some exciting breakthroughs. Moderating this forum keeps me up to date on what's happening and I do enjoy the members that take the time to post or correspond with me.

Since you are interested in anti-aging, it's disappointing that you didn't submit any questions for this month's Ask the Doctor host, Lee Buckler. Watch for the Q and A session with him to appear in the Spotlight section later this month.
Barb, I might; I have trouble getting into the swing of things, sometimes. How do I place questions to him, and when, and where do I find the answers?

As to the community, I get galled by folks that don't participate. I have tried to interact on the seemingly most popular cancer forum, only to be told that I was being too abstract. My, I'm trying to actually learn, but they weren't interested in the process. For instance, I wanted to discuss aerobic, vs anaerobic, cancer cells, but was banned from it, which galls me. Here, on the other hand, there seems no party, at all.

SammyJo, thank you; I completely agree, with you. If there were more people around to talk about stem cells in the context of anti-aging, it would be great, because I have been dying to find someone to talk about this. As is, I only have my elderly mother to share my thoughts with, and as accepting of death as she, and as stick-in the-mud mentally, I think something of my logic has penetrated.

Aubrey de Grey's thinking is too complicated. Aging happens primarily because the telomeres in the cells, or more specific, the stem cells, wind down, and if the was a way to revitalize the stem cells' telomeres, then we'd be revitalizing the whole blame organism. We're already able to revitalize cells in the lab via quickly-degradable RNA snippets which regrow the telomere ends, sans any virus, and think we should see if we can safely, and effectively de-age cells in human bodies. Given our burgeoning numbers of retirees, I think that we'd find no check on the volunteers.

I honestly think agelessness will be possible in twenty years, leaving out the issue of cancer (its full cure will take longer, I fear), and the fact that you can still get hit by a car. Making like Tolkien's elves, though, certainly seems like an upgrade, to me. I'm amazed that people aren't more aware of what wonders lurk right on our threshold.

I've been storing up thoughts on this for while, as maybe you can tell.

willis

By switching on the Immortality Gene, doctors have already seen remarkable results.

http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/longevity/billionaires-buying-immortality.php?iris=353191&ad=too-far-sym

Peter Thiel, a venture capitalist, hedge fund manager, and founder of Paypal isn't satisfied with his achievements to date.

There's one commodity he's always wanted but, until now, has never been able to purchase.

More time.

When asked what his current goal is at the Venture Alpha West conference, Thiel made a shocking announcement.

He wants to live forever.

"There are a 100,000 people who die every day on this planet, mostly from things related to aging," Thiel said. "It's not going to happen to me."

It may seem like a bold ambition, but Thiel is not alone.

Both of Google's founders have similar aspirations.

Sergey Brin, has invested millions of dollars in a genomics company. Larry Page spent millions more to launch a company called Calico. Their goal: To cure aging.

Peter Diamandis, the founder of the X-Prize and International Space University, has recently founded a company called "Human Longevity Inc."

This company's sole purpose is to extend healthy human life span as long as possible. And he's offering a $10 million prize for technology that gets us closer to that goal.

Fortunately, you don't need to be a tech billionaire to take advantage of what these men are pioneering.

According to 35- year Silicon Valley Venture Capitalist and biotech consultant Michael Robinson, everyone will soon have the chance to live forever.

"Every cell in your body has an 'immortality gene'," Robinson says. "When it's switched on, your cells don't age. In fact, they become biologically younger."

Robinson continued, "So that's the good news. Here's the bad news. When we're born, we come with this gene 'switched off.'"

More: Click here to see Michael Robinson's investigation, "Unlocking Human Immortality."

But there may now be a way to switch that gene on.

Thanks to two Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, doctors have been able to develop a four-injection a year treatment that could allow us to activate our own immortality gene.

This treatment is currently in advanced clinical trials. It could be available for everyone in as little as 24 months.

Why We Die

Click here to see the genetic flaw that eventually kills us all

By switching on the Immortality Gene, doctors have already seen remarkable results.

In the most recent clinical trial (released January, 2015) doctors at Stanford were able to reversed the biological age of 60 year old human skin and muscle cells by 25 years. After just a "few days of treatment" they became indistinguishable from that of a 35-year-old.

Harvard doctors activated this same gene in mice. It extended their average lifespan from 2 years to almost 4 years.

Lead researcher on the project, Dr. Ronald DiPino, called this the "Ponce de Leon effect," referring to the Spanish explorer who famously sought the fountain of youth.

Whether these treatments will lead to an extra 30 years of human lifespan, or if they are the first steps toward immortality is still a hotly debated topic among scientists.

But what is clear, no matter who you ask, is that the field of human medicine is going to be dramatically different over the next few years.

Or as University of Michigan biochemist, Dr. David Engelke puts it, "Science has just changed."

Editor's Note: For more on the "Immortality Gene," including exclusive information about where these treatments will be available, click here.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Barb, I might; I have trouble getting into the swing of things, sometimes. How do I place questions to him, and when, and where do I find the answers?
You missed the deadline this month to submit questions. I always announce the hosts and the time frame to submit questions in the Ask the Doctor section. You will find the Q and A's with Lee Buckler in the Spotlight section towards the end of this month. The latest Ask the Doctor is posted in the Spotlight section for a month, then archived into the Ask the Doctor section with all the others.

Noitartst

You missed the deadline this month to submit questions. I always announce the hosts and the time frame to submit questions in the Ask the Doctor section. You will find the Q and A's with Lee Buckler in the Spotlight section towards the end of this month. The latest Ask the Doctor is posted in the Spotlight section for a month, then archived into the Ask the Doctor section with all the others.
Hm. So where do I ask for next month? I have several.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I will announce the next host in about a week. Not all hosts would be suitable to ask questions about anti-aging and longevity. I include a brief biography when I made the announcement. That way you can determine if your questions would be suitable for that particular host.

Noitartst

I will announce the next host in about a week. Not all hosts would be suitable to ask questions about anti-aging and longevity. I include a brief biography when I made the announcement. That way you can determine if your questions would be suitable for that particular host.
Thank you.