If you don't like what AARP has done.........

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
If any of you think AARP is not for you, this group is providing an alternative for only $12.50 per year. I think AARP has shown us in the last month just what kind of organization they really are. If you like what AARP is up to, then please disregard this message. But if you don't $12.50 per year is very reasonable to support this alternative in my opinion. Barb

The article as reprinted from the AMAC site:

We are strongly against government dictating what kind of care we can receive and forcing our doctors to follow government guideline instead of deciding what treatment is best for us.

AMAC (pronounced A-Mack) has organized and sponsored Tea Parties in New York and Florida and supported efforts across the country. We have visited Senators and Members of Congress and held rallies outside of their offices and we are just getting started!

See our website www.amac.us for more information.

While we have members in all 50 states and are growing, we are tiny compared to AARP's 26 million members. But AARP has angered many of their members by backing a plan that will actually hurt many seniors and increase their medical costs!

If you want to do something to stop the destruction of the world's best health care system please join AMAC now.

Membership is only $12.50/yr per family and open to anyone 50 and older.*

Did you know? Under proposed health care law you:

* will be forced to schedule an end of life meeting with your doctor every 5 years when you reach age 65

* will be forced to allow the government real time access to your bank accounts so they can do electronic fund transfers with your money.

We are not making this up!! This is real!

Act Now to protect your health care!

Call 1-888-262-2006 and join us in the good fight. (Or join online at www.amac.us.)

Let us be your voice in Congress!

* You may join as an associate member at any age, however you will not receive the discounts available for members 50 plus.

Last edited:
Healthcare reform or insurance reform

If you feel that we do not need health insurance reform in this country, then I certainly disagree with your stance. I have had to battle with almost every private insurance company for benefits for my son. He doesn't qualify for medicaid, thank goodness, but employer based insurance should not be the only option for health insurance.
David Snow

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I can understand your frustration, however, AARP is for seniors and they need to offer much better alternatives to what has been proposed instead of ignoring their members. They forgot that they represent themselves as a group that helps seniors I guess. Since, I am not wanting a debate on whether or not we all like the current health care bills that are swirling around, this post is really confined to whether or not a person likes AARP.

AARP eligibility.

Since I will be 55 next month. I have been eligible for AARP for almost 5 years. It doesn't provide me with any incentive to join it, I must admit, but the TAX Tea Parties and other cowboy rallies concerning Health Insurance reform certainly don't entice me to sign up either, I don't believe such scare tactics, such as the death panels you mention, provide an informative atmosphere for intelligent debate regarding the need for health care/insurance reform.
Dave Snow

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I did not mention any death panels. I simply posted an article that provides information for a group that is giving AARP some much needed competition. I am not an AARP member. I think what seniors need to worry about is the loss of such things as Medicare Advantage and other programs that are working well that encourage wellness and less hospital stays. Please feel free to start a new thread discussing the Health Care bills if you want, but this is just a thread I started to let others know that AARP hopefully will be getting a run for its money from a group that is not entrenched in the political lobbying game. Many may not have had this information.

coercive health coverage for seniors?

Barbara,
Your statement "Did you know? Under proposed health care law you:

* will be forced to schedule an end of life meeting with your doctor every 5 years when you reach age 65" indicates that in 10 years I will be forced to undergo an end of life meeting. I watched my wife's grandmother get cut up piece by piece because she had terminal cancer that had spread throughout her body. I won't go into the details, but if a physician had been allowed to get paid to speak with her and her family intelligently about her prognosis rather than chase the cancer around her body with a scalpel she may have had a quality end of life period. If I become extremely ill, this type of conversation might be very good, if not they are not going to come and get me in the night and interrogate me, it only allows the medicare doctor to get paid to talk and think, not just cut.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Michael - That is not my statement. I merely reprinted the article from AMAC. Sorry for any confusion.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
So you are saying since someone posted about it on a forum that you evidently don't care for (can't say that it would be my cup of tea either) that it says it all? This post may show up on a Google search. Many of our posts do. I am sorry that that is how you make your evaluations, but I don't.

AARP is simply not representing seniors in my opinion and I welcome the competition. This forum link you gave is not one that has anything to do with AMAC, it is simply a group of people who believe that AMAC will be more representative of them. Your post does readers a disservice in assuming something about AMAC. Do you have something besides this link to prove what you are insinuating? If not, let's call it a night.