hyperbaric chamber

karl wagner

Has anyone studied or spent time in a hyperbaric chamber. They are now advertising benefits for COPD and for stem cell development.They make portables and they are starting to get affordable.

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Hbot

Larry (lraynak), one of the founding Pioneer members who has COPD, has used HBOT and has it well documented. Larry is not the type to just say he feels better or worse, he meticulously records his O2 saturation levels, heart rate, etc. which is what makes for a good study. He also reads and researches everything he does. I will make sure he sees your post and responds.

lraynak

Pioneer Founding member
Hbot

I had a great interest in this therapy as there was some research that indicated the stem cells would release under the two atmosphere pressure for at least two hours. I located a doctor who was quite knowledgeable and set up a program of 40 sessions. To insure a tolerance to the chamber COPD is not recommended for this treatment. I started at a lessor pressure of one and a half atmos. for one and a half hours. I got to the levels I wanted quickly and did most of the sessions at two atmos. for two hours. During the time I was in the chamber, I recalled it was the easiest breathing I had experienced. My main goal was to get the stem cells working and to have a way to record the improvement or measurement. Even though I felt great coming out of the chamber and for a short time later, I still needed to have supplemental oxygen even though my saturated oxygen levels were higher. There was some mention of home units that might be tried, My experience tells me these home units will not reach the two atmosphere levels necessary that only the hard side stationary units will do.
I had hoped to prove more but it didn't happen and the test was sufficient to produce some results.

danny

Good luck with that... I had that and it didn't help and made me worse. To much oxygen is worse for COPD.

lraynak

Pioneer Founding member
Hbot

Danny,

I didn't have that same problem with the chamber as you did. I felt at the time there was enough evidence from a clinical study from the U of Penn to investigate the possibilities of helping. There was little improvement after all the treatments. I did enjoy breathing inside the chamber, just like normal. Lung disease is a PITA.

danny

Oh yeah I am sure it could help some people..especially if you have Heart/Lung problems.. pure lung problems..I think it makes it worse..