http://copdnewsoftheday.com/?p=6186&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm _campai

RDH

http://copdnewsoftheday.com/?p=6186&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm _campai

Sufferers of smoking related lung diseases could have their debilitating symptoms reduced following the discovery of a potential new treatment.
The discovery, by researchers at the University of Melbourne, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia, and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, US, could dramatically improve treatments and slow the progression of COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) which includes the incurable condition emphysema.

COPD is a progressive disease that makes it hard to breathe and is mostly caused by excessive smoking. Approximately 2.1 million Australians have some form of COPD. By 2050, this figure is expected to more than double to 4.5 million.

The international team identified that the protein SAA plays a key role in chronic inflammation and lung damage in COPD and also inhibits the natural effort of the lung to repair itself after smoking has stopped.

The findings have been published in the prestigious scientific journal, The Proceedings of National Academy of Science.

Professor Gary Anderson from the University of Melbourne said the discovery could become a dual treatment to improve lung function at any stage of COPD.

“It has the potential to dramatically improve the lives of many people suffering these conditions and reduce the huge burden of health and hospital costs associated with their treatment,” he said.

Lead author Associate Professor Steven Bozinovski from the University of Melbourne said the findings were significant because SAA was normally made in the liver, but they found that very high levels were made in the lungs of COPD patients. “It was a breakthrough for us to confirm that SAA played such a key role in the lung,” he said.

The team confirmed that SAA not only caused inflammation but hindered natural healing in the lung.

Harvard’s Associate Professor Bruce Levy said, they found that as the SAA interacted with its receptor it not only triggered lung inflammation, it also stopped a natural healing molecule which helped to turn off inflammation and heal the lung.

“This mechanism appears to explain one of the reasons that inflammation in COPD just never resolves despite stopping smoking,” he said.

The discovery could lead to the development of a dual treatment by firstly, targeting SAA to switch off its function in the lung and secondly, adding a synthetic form of the natural healing agent to boost lung healing. Clinical development for the synthetic agent is currently under way in the US.

The proposed combined treatment could also improve the effectiveness of steroid treatment for COPD, which is effective in treating other lung diseases such as asthma.

“Steroid treatments work in conditions like asthma by turning off the production of inflammatory substances; however, our latest finding reveals that steroids actually fail to block the production of SAA and hence inflammation in the lung,” Professor Anderson said.

“We believe SAA plays a critical role in why steroids are much less effective than they should be in treating COPD,” he said.

It is hoped the new treatment will go to clinical trial within the next seven years.

“This is not a golden ticket to smoke,” he said. “We are hopeful the combined treatment will assist patients of all stages of COPD, particularly those in stage four with constant hospital visits, to improve their quality of life, but it would not cure disease,” he said.

He said the only way to prevent COPD is not to smoke. “If you are currently smoking the best thing to do is to quit as this will prevent the worsening of COPD,” he said.

The research was funded in part by the National Health and Medical Research Council (Australia) and the National Institute of Health (US

RDH

A widely and safely used plant extract acts as a novel anti-inflammatory agent that m

A widely and safely used plant extract acts as a novel anti-inflammatory agent that may one day be used for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, as well as other inflammatory conditions. There is an urgent need for new therapies for the treatment of chronic inflammatory diseases, such as COPD, otitis media (ear infection), and atherosclerosis (chronic inflammation in the walls of arteries), because the most effective and commonly used agents - steroids - often cause serious side effects, such as liver damage, which prevent long-term use.

In a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers at the University of Rochester Medical Center were the first to find that vinpocetine, a natural product derived from the periwinkle plant, acts as a potent anti-inflammatory agent when tested in a mouse model of lung inflammation, as well as several other types of human cells. Results of the study show that vinpocetine greatly reduces inflammation, and, unlike steroids, does not cause severe side effects.

"What is extremely exciting and promising about these findings is vinpocetine's excellent safety profile," said Chen Yan, Ph.D., associate professor within the Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute at the Medical Center and a senior author of the study. "Previously, most drugs tested in this area have failed, not because of a lack of efficacy, but because of safety issues. We're very encouraged by these results and believe vinpocetine has great potential for the treatment of COPD and other inflammatory diseases."

Vinpocetine is a well-known natural product that was originally discovered nearly 30 years ago and is currently used as a dietary supplement for the prevention and treatment of cognitive disorders, such as stroke and memory loss, in Europe, Japan and China. The therapy has no evidence of toxicity or noticeable side effects in human patients. Scientists at the University of Rochester hope to reposition this compound as an anti-inflammatory agent for the treatment of COPD, and potentially other inflammatory conditions, such as asthma, otitis media, rheumatoid arthritis, atherosclerosis and psoriasis in the future.

While steroids successfully combat inflammation, patients often pay a high price when it comes to side effects. Steroids can cause liver damage, and can also suppress the immune system, increasing the likelihood of infections. With such a high risk profile, steroids are usually only used for a short period of time, which is problematic when treating chronic diseases.

"In managing chronic conditions such as COPD, it is crucial to have a therapy that can be used safely over the long term," said Jian-Dong Li, M.D., Ph.D., professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the University of Rochester Medical Center and a senior author of the study. "There is a great need for a drug like vinpocetine, because patients currently have no good options when it comes to long-term care."

Vinpocetine decreases inflammation by targeting the activity of a specific enzyme, known as IKK. IKK is responsible for regulating inflammation, and does so through the activation of a key protein, nuclear-factor kappaB (NF-κB). By directly inhibiting IKK, vinpocetine is able to switch off NF-κB, which normally produces pro-inflammatory molecules that cause inflammation. Halting the activity of NF-κB ultimately reduces inflammation.

"Inflammation is a hallmark of a wide range of human diseases, so there is great potential for vinpocetine to be used for several indications," said Bradford C. Berk, M.D., Ph.D., CEO of the University of Rochester Medical Center and co-author of the study. "Given vinpocetine's efficacy and solid safety profile, we believe there is great potential to bring this drug to market."

Repositioning a therapy - taking a known compound that has been used safely in humans and testing it for a new application - can be an effective way to bring new therapies to market more quickly than starting the discovery process from scratch.

Inflammatory diseases are a major cause of illness worldwide. For example, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. In people with COPD, airflow is blocked due to chronic bronchitis or emphysema, making it increasingly difficult to breathe. Most COPD is caused by long-term smoking, although genetics may play a role as well. Approximately 13.5 million people in the United States are diagnosed with COPD each year, and in 2004 the annual cost of the disease was $37.2 billion.

The research was funded by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders at the National Institutes of Health, and the University of Rochester Medical Center. The University has applied for a patent for vinpocetine for use as an IKK-inhibitor for the treatment of COPD. Drs. Li, Yan and Berk have formed a start-up company, Rock Pharmaceuticals, with the hope of licensing the intellectual property rights from the University of Rochester and commercializing this technology.

In addition to Li, Yan and Berk, Kye-Im Jeon, Ph.D., Xiangbin Xu, Ph.D., Jae Hyang Lim, Ph.D., DVM, Hirofumi Jono, Ph.D., and Jun-ichi Abe, M.D., Ph.D., from the Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute and the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the University of Rochester Medical Center participated in the study. Toru Aizawa, M.D., a former post-doctoral associate at the Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute, and Dong-Seok Kwon, Ph.D., a collaborator in Korea, also contributed to this study.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thanks for the good posts RDH. I have taken vinpocetine for a couple of years now. It also helps with cognitive function as mentioned. There should be some caution to not take too much however. I keep mine at 10mg right now. I was taking one in the morning and one in the evening (20mg total), but no longer take any supplements in the evening since I started taking LivLong.

Here are some common side effects:

Vinpocetine appears to be POSSIBLY SAFE for most people. No significant harmful effects were reported in a study of people with Alzheimer's disease treated with large doses of vinpocetine (60 mg per day) for one year.

Vinpocetine can cause some side effects including stomach pain, nausea, sleep disturbances, headache, dizziness, nervousness, and flushing of the face.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of vinpocetine during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Clotting disorders: Don’t use vinpocetine if you have a problem with blood clotting because it might increase the risk of bleeding.

Surgery: Vinpocetine might slow blood clotting. There is a concern that it might increase the risk of bleeding during and after surgery. Stop using vinpocetine if you are scheduled for surgery in the next 2 weeks.

yorkere

COPD Treatments

Thank you very much for posting these very interesting items...I wonder what the combined effects of 10mg Vinpocetine and 1000mg Taurine might be...possibly multiplicative vice additive?

Robert

yorkere

Here is the URL of the study "Vinpocetine inhibits NF-κB–dependent inflammation via an IKK-dependent but PDE-independent mechanism":

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/21/9795.long

I consider this work to be very powerful news; but there doesn't appear to be much available regarding actual use of oral Vinpocetine...

Barbara, when you were taking Vinpocetine 20 to 40mg daily, did you notice at that time any obvious beneficial results?

Robert

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I never took more than 30mg, but yes, I did notice a difference in cognitive function. In fact my husband and I both joke when either of us has a moment of forgetfulness. The first thing asked is, "Did you take your vinpocetine"? I also think it helps with my breathing. The supplement is not expensive and I plan to continue to take it.

JC the Fox

Mystery molecule

Does anyone know what the "natural healing molecule is"?

Plus, it is interesting to note that one scientist tells us that COPD never resolves despite stopping smoking, and another tells us that "the best thing to do is quit (smoking) as this will prevent the worsening of COPD.

yorkere

JC the Fox:

I too noticed the apparent contradictions; also, FWIW, I across a very interesting Website:http://emphysema-treatments.com/home.htm, after I'd searched for a reference I'd come across called "How I Reversed My Mom's Emphysema"...after reviewing it for awhile now, I don't think it's fraudulent...

Robert

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
The natural healing molecule is probably like the special stem cell juices that were spoken of in another article. Just kidding. I do wish that more clarity would be given.

I also ran across an article a few days ago and a professor stated that the only way to prevent COPD is to not smoke. I thought that was a strange comment considering many people with COPD have never smoked.

I think Mr. Miller has posted about his book before, but I don't know of anyone that has tried the methods that he used for his mom.

yorkere

Barbara:

I assume you mean that he has posted on this Forum; can you provide the links to those posts?

Robert

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
JC

I read the book you are referring to and have been in contact with MR Miller off and on over the last 3 years. His ideas involved eliminating all sugars for starters. I don't think it's fraudulent; however, I don't believe his mother was cured - just markedly improved. She was practically bedridden when he started this new diet. She had some type of candida throughout her body according to what he told me.

yorkere

Thanks for providing the information on this; I think I'll definitely buy the book...the information about NAC being useful in the control of mucus is interesting. Is there any info on how much of this should be applied, such as dose levels and total daily intake?

Robert

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I take 600 mg morning and night. I used to take it 3 times a day, but have cut down to twice since I take Daliresp and LivLong. I find it keeps my nose from drying out too. NAC can also be administered via IV and is helpful in various conditions and you don't have to take out a bank loan to buy it. It's reasonably priced. Here's a good article:

N-ACETYL CYSTEINE OVERVIEW INFORMATION
N-acetyl cysteine comes from the amino acid L-cysteine. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. N-acetyl cysteine has many uses as medicine.

N-acetyl cysteine is used to counteract acetaminophen (Tylenol) and carbon monoxide poisoning. It is also used for chest pain (unstable angina), bile duct blockage in infants, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease), Alzheimer’s disease, allergic reactions to the anti-seizure drug phenytoin (Dilantin), and an eye infection called keratoconjunctivitis. It is also used for reducing levels of a type of cholesterol called lipoprotein (a), homocysteine levels (a possible risk factor for heart disease) and the risk of heart attack and stroke in patients with serious kidney disease.

Some people use N-acetyl cysteine for chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), hay fever, a lung condition called fibrosing alveolitis, head and neck cancer, and lung cancer. It is also used for treating some forms of epilepsy; ear infections; complications of kidney dialysis; chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS); an autoimmune disorder called Sjogren’s syndrome; preventing sports injury complications; radiation treatment; increasing immunity to flu and H1N1 (swine) flu; and for detoxifying heavy metals such as mercury, lead, and cadmium.

N-acetyl cysteine is also used for preventing alcoholic liver damage; for protecting against environmental pollutants including carbon monoxide, chloroform, urethanes and certain herbicides; for reducing toxicity of ifosfamide and doxorubicin, drugs that are used for cancer treatment; as a hangover remedy; for preventing kidney damage due to certain X-ray dyes; and for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

Healthcare providers give N-acetyl cysteine intravenously (by IV) for acetaminophen overdose, acrylonitrile poisoning, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease), kidney failure in the presence of liver disease (hepatorenal syndrome), chest pain in combination with nitroglycerin, heart attack in combination with nitroglycerin and streptokinase, and for helping to prevent multi-organ failure leading to death.

N-acetyl cysteine is sometimes inhaled (breathed into the lungs) or delivered through a tube in the throat to treat certain lung disorders such as pneumonia, bronchitis, emphysema, cystic fibrosis, and others.

How does it work?
N-acetyl cysteine treats acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning by binding the poisonous forms of acetaminophen that are formed in the liver. It is also an antioxidant, so it may play a role in preventing cancer.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
The article you posted mentions the same dosage as I was told to use. I do believe that in some cases, NAC is needed to be given by IV for a long period in order to eradicate some types of bacterial infections.