How many years have you or your loved ones had COPD?

how long (in years)?

Votes: 1 5.0%

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • 5-7

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 7-10

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 10+

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Pat S

Pioneer Founding member
I was officially diagnosed in August 2006; however, I've been having symptoms for probably 5+ years. I "played doctor" and decided that my sinuses and allergies were getting worse. My medical certificate has been self-revoked! :eek:

barrybrooks

As a long time smoker

I guess I had the first diagnosis about 7 years ago. I had quit smoking by then while I was in hospital isolation with congestive heart failure. Thankfully I have never had to use oxygen on a 24/7 basis or even occasionally. Except for the panic attacks when emergency workers give me oxygen to keep me on the green side of the grass. I have since realized that my unhealthy lifestyle choices were killing me and I changed. To make a long story short I am a reformed smoker and beer drinker, but not a preacher. I exercise regularly and have had the pleasure of graduating out of a local cardiac rehabilitation program this spring. I have been accepted into and will be starting a pulmonary rehabilitation program in the fall and if it is as informative and helpful as the cardiac one I will be a fountain of knowledge. I am 70 years young, 5' 6" tall and pack 200 pounds. My goal is to lose another 40#s and I know I will. I have already shed 60 pounds in my battle to stay alive. E-mail me at bbrooks43@sympatico.ca or
BBrooks@copdcanada.ca :cool::cool:

Jancy

Years of COPD

I was diagnosed in 1996 after a bout in the hospital , but knew for some time that I was having respitory problems. To complicate things I also was diagnosed in 2002 with Breast Cancer. Double whammy. Fighting two diseases was a journey but we get through it and do the things that have to be done nad take anothe step forward.
Jancy

lungsrus

killer ciggarretts/yrs/w copd

was diognosed in feb. of 2006,but was told in dec. of 2003 that I had pre emphesema. smoked since I was around 12 or13. I'am 45 now. I've had bronchitas since I was in my 30's.

rosech44

Diagnosed

I was diagnosed in 2000--but knew I had it for at least 5 yrs before, DENIAL!!!! or at least the beginnings of it---smoked 40 plus yrs.

If we only knew then, what we know now-----

Rose

lungsrus

copd

I was diognosed in feb 2006 with full blown ephysema is wht the doctor said at the emergency room. but I was told that I had pre-ephysema in dec. of 2003. I 've been ignorant as to my lungs. still learning alot on the internet.this is a very very interesting site. I also told my sister about this web site she has hapatis c,and posssible sirrosis.

Anastasia

How long...

Nelson was first told he had COPD in 1992. He, of course, ignored the doctor's warning and continued smoking like a Chinese Chimney (if you've seen the pictures of smog in China you'll have the exact picture of Nelson)
until April of 2005. Mind you, he had to remove his nose hose in order to light up. He began smoking at age 23, or his way home from the Rome (1960) Olympics where he was a member of the US Swim Team! I began smoking at the same time, but I was only 12. We quit together in April of '05. To date, I am not showing any symptoms except for those due to packing way too much weight and lack of exercise. (I'd much rather read or do some needlework or make jewelry)...When Nels no longer needs his oyxgen, I'm going to make my daughters (2) wear a hose for a few hours and see just how awkward it is to get around trailing that thing. Maybe they'll finally quit themselves!:eek: