How DO Mesenchymal Stem Cells Work?

Noitartst

Hello: I was reading about a specific blood protein that decreases as you age, here:
http://singularityhub.com/2014/05/17/aging-reversed-in-the-heart-brain-and-muscles-of-mice-thanks-to-blood-factor/

Seems it's vital to overall stem cell activity in the body, and I was wondering if blood cells are produced by mesenchymal cells, in specific? If so, that would seem to explain, or at least start to explain, why they are so multi-potent. As is, mesenchymal cells are the marrow stem cells that at least make antibodies, yes?

Dunno about you, but if mesenchymal cells are indeed the same marrow cells that produce blood cells, but a good test (in rats) would be to knock out the gene producing this specific protein, and just see how potent the mesenchymal cells would be without 'em. I'm betting there'd be a steep decline, at least.

If, on the other hand, this protein is separate from mesenchymal cells, they still probably possess a collaborative effect, and that, my friends, should be studied. Me, if I were getting stem cell treatment, I'd want the cells as potentized as possible, which would mean surrounding the cells with the various stem cell factors causing growth. You ask me, GDF-11 is one of the most powerful, or at least a likely candidate.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
You didn't offend me. I don't know how I missed your post. I am going to ask our November Ask the Doctor host, Dr. Burton Feinerman, to comment on GDF-11. He uses various growth factors in his treatments and I'd like to hear what he has to say about it.

It can be frustrating at times on this forum getting responses or discussions going and yet I receive a lot of e-mails from members who evidently do not want to post on the open forum thinking they might make a mistake in grammar or start a thread in the wrong section, or ask a question that someone might think is silly, etc. I really don't know how to convince anyone that these things are not the least bit important. Discussion, sharing thoughts and ideas and updates from members who are seeking treatment or who have had treatment are what is important.

Noitartst

Arigato for responding. From what you've said, and what I've gleaned, this may not be the best forum fit for me. Why? Because I'm interested in stem cell research and good health, not specifically looking for a cure of myself, or anyone I know. There was another stem cell forum I was interested in, seemed more for professionals, which is who I wish to talk to, but then they had a fee, apparently to deter laymen like me, or alternatively, to avoid being pestered from those seeking healings, which I guess this forum specializes in.

Pity.

Me, I want to know about stem cells, telomeres, and how they work--full stop. Someday, I will need stem cells, and by then I wish to be well-versed, but not simply out of a desire for antidote, but out of fascination for an emergent technology. When I ask questions, here, I want to learn, and if they are foolish, so be it. I do hope there are some who'd like to speculate on what can be done with stem cells, because I can think of a few ideas in the least, let me tell you.

Here's one idea I'd like to discuss, if anyone has interest to do so with me, and it is the chemical signals promoting cell growth, how they work, how they cand stimulate adult stem cells to better performances. I mean, if ipscs are still far off, and adding adult stem cells from elsewhere still has issues, why not namely figure out how to induce better performance from the cells in the area by just adding growth factors?

Anyone done that? You see, I view the finding out about these growth factors the first fruits of stem cell research, or should be. There are alot of spinal cord victims who sweat blood in therapy, praying hard work will help, whereas, I think we have the resources to give their efforts a boost, and it's not being talked about.

It's the low-hanging yield of current research, my friend. Read the following headline:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140925205819.htm
Compound in tumeric stimulates stem cells in brain, i.e. nerve cells--fascinating. Study in rats found a growth factor compelling spinal stem cells to to regrow myelin sheaths.

What would I do with it? well, for me, right now, nothing.

Were I a paralyzed billionaire, though, I'd find me some clinic in the third world, have some doc prepare a cocktail in a gel, apply it to the injury, and just see if it didn't do some good.

Low-hanging yield of research, if you ask me. Criticize me if you like for simplifying, but I hope you see my point.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
iPS cells are being used in Japan right now. The U.S. is woefully behind and new regulations from the FDA are coming down the pike that will stifle innovation and treatment opportunities.

There are doctors who use growth factors. HGF is one that Dr. Feinerman has had in his protocol. Many doctors use G-CSF. I agree that this is definitely an area that holds promise.

Noitartst

I've read about HGH; it's just a band-aid to anti-aging compared to telomeres, however, or at least as I understand it.

I haven't heard about these new FDA rules from the media; I would have thought the Obama Adminiswtration to be more stem-cell-friendly. Where might I learn more about these issues involved? I would have thought the media would cover this kind of thing better.

What's G-CSF?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
HGH is not HGF. However, I did inject HGH once for several weeks and liked the results.

Here's info on G-CSF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granulocyte_colony-stimulating_factor

We often discuss new regulations and our ongoing battle with the FDA on this forum. Check the section titled Legislation-Regulation. This administration has given us the most restrictive regulations ever on stem cells. The FDA has encroached upon the practice of medicine. Very few politicians even understand the difference between embryonic stem cells and adults stem cells and yet they choose to restrict our access to treatments that could prove to be lifesaving for many. It's all about power, politics and profits. The media is basically as ignorant as the politicians. They rarely vet their sources and almost never differentiate what kind of stem cells the story pertains to. Many of us also belong to http://patientsforstemcells.org which is a group a few of us started to keep tabs on the media and ask that they vet their sources. Billions and billions of dollars are at stake. Keep that in mind when evaluating this industry.

Claire, one of our moderators here, has a group on LinkedIn that you might wish to join. It's called Adult Stem Cell Advocates. We often discuss regulatory matters there as well. LinkedIn is free. Once you join, then ask to join her group.

Noitartst

Hm...what is HGF? WHat does it stand for?

As for that link on G-CSF, thank you; signals like that are what I'm talking about, when it comes to growth stimulation.

As for the issues blurred distinction for stem cell regulation, that sounds awful (shockling, in fact), and I'm gonna hafta look into it.

Oh, and does this group look at all into telomere research? Frankly, that has been under-examined, and could well prove a straighter, easier path to anti-aging.

Noitartst

Soo, that's HGF, thank you!

Oh, so mesenchymal stem rells really are synonymous with "bone marrow stem cells"? That's what I've wanted to know for a while, and:
http://www.stemcellpioneers.com/showthread.php?8532-Transplanted-stem-cells-help-prevent-bladder-fibrosis-after-spinal-cord-injury&highlight=Hepatocyte+growth+factor

seemed to indicate my suspicion to indeed be the case.

Hm...no. Mesenchmal stem cells, according to wikipedia, don't directly work to produce red blood cells. Mesenchmal multi-potency must work some other way sans direct reference to that stem cell-stimimulating grrowth factor in red blood cells. Still, mesenchymal and blood cells still spring from marrow, and thus would probably work well on some damaged site in the body in tandem...probably do already.

Useful info, this.

Last edited: