Hill-Rom vest

RDH

Was wondering if anyone had used a High Frequency chest compression vest.
Supposed to be one of the better ways to clean the mucus from lungs.

Connie

RDH,
I had one in my home for about a year. It works great. The company is wonderful to work with. They brought it out to me and trained me to use it and called every now and then to check and see how many hours I logged on it to show I was using it. Meanwhile they billed my insurance company and it was rejected. They helped me file an appeal which gave me many more months to use it. Since I had never been hospitalized with my disease because I take major preventative measures to stay well ( insurance companies are not into preventing illness.) they decided I did not qualify. Then the company seem to forget I had it till one day they called and told me I could either purchase it for a million dollars (exaggerated) or I would have to return it. So they sent me a special box to pack up my buddy and had the UPS guy come and carry it away. Luckily I still have access to one at my Pulmonary Rehab Center when ever I need it. All in all I had it about a year and was very happy with it. I would put it on while nebulizing and it did a great job of loosening the mucus. I highly recommend it. You can get the same results by having someone beat on you back with their hands cupped if you can find someone that does not get tired fast. Grand children are really good at it if you bribe them with money.:)

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Danny, who is a member of this forum, recently purchased a lung flute which he said really got the mucus up for him. Hopefully, he will post and let us know more about it. I am not familiar with the product. The vest sounds quite interesting. If it helped you a lot Connie, then of course your insurance wouldn't pay. Go figure!

danny

I have heard of the Vest thing and it's more for people with Cystic Fibrosis. I just got my lung flute a few days ago and it works pretty good so far.. I feel like I am not even doing anything when I blow in it but it helps clear my airways.... though COPD is not of a mucus disease like CF..so don't expect a wonder.. nothing has amazed me to date though; stem cells, flutes, nurients or medications.. I just keep trying.