Group: Industry Lobbying Tarnishing FDA Integrity

LLL6521

Union of Concerned Scientists March 29, 2012

This newly signed regulation was being spun like a great thing for the general public as mentioned numerous times before that this new law will make life saving drugs readily availabe to the general public with quicker approval process. Read this article below on how much the pharmaceutical companies spent in the past three years lobbying. As we mentioned before in previous threads, the FDA will now have the power with this new law to approve and not approve those drugs they think will benefit them as well as pharma. In other words, do not hold your breath on autologous stem cells getting quicker approval. If you can't bottle it and make billions off of it or threatens their cash-cow, "drug sales," treatments with stem cells will be stalled as much as possible.

http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/fda-lobbying-numbers-1376-1.html

The science advocacy group Union of Concerned Scientists (USC) is lambasting what it claims is excessive industry pressure on the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and claims the pharmaceutical, medical device and biotechnology sectors spent a combined $700 million between 2009 and 2011 to lobby legislative and executive officials.

“Pharmaceuticals companies and related trade groups spent more than $487 million on lobbying over this three-year period, while biotechnology firms and their trade groups spent more than $126 million and device manufacturers and their trade groups spent more than $86 million,” wrote USC in a statement released to the press.

“All this money skews the debate and diminishes the public’s voice on these issues,” said Francesca Grifo, director of the Union of Concerned Scientists’ Scientific Integrity Program. “What’s at stake here is FDA’s ability to make independent, science-based decisions that affect our health and safety.”

USC’s analysis also showed millions donated to members of Congress serving on FDA-oversight committees including the House Energy and Commerce Committee and the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.

The lobbying number may be particularly inflated for this period due to the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which industry spent well in excess of $100 million on (Inside National Health Reform, McDonough).

In a separate press release, USC claimed the lobbying efforts are focused in part on “relaxing the stricter conflict-of-interest rules enacted in 2007 that directed the FDA to reduce the number of experts on its advisory panels with financial ties to the industries the agency regulates.”

USC said it would be making its own case for “even stronger scientific integrity standards at FDA.”

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
The amount of money spent is staggering. Remember, Big Pharma hopes to be the big winner with ObamaCare as well (see link below). All I can say is GO TEXAS!! I truly think that the FDA will have a rattlesnake on its hands if Texas is challenged as they move forward with their plans to allow adult stem cell therapies to be given under the guidance of IRBs.

http://www.stemcellpioneers.com/showthread.php?t=5912

LLL6521

One Voice one politician

Yes Barb,

I love it that Texas is the rattlesnake waiting to strike back at the FDA. All it takes is one powerful politician to change the tide. Governor Rick Perry assigned the board members in Texas that eventually opened the doors to stem cell treatments regardless of the FDA’s position. I’m hoping the same can occur with the FDA next year by replacing the commissioner and board members in favor of less regulation. I think it will happen.

So see folks, there is still hope for all of us. However, we still need to be heard by telling our politicians “tell the FDA to stay away from our stem cells!”

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski Interview

This interview really says it all for me as this is exactly what is happening with stem cell therapy. I cannot believe that we have gotten to the point that our lives are no longer ours. They are controlled by others and this needs to change. I hope that Texas is just the beginning. A stand must be taken in this fight, but right now the fight reminds me of the Battle of the Alamo.

Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski in his interview with Suzanne Somers in her book, "Bombshell", states,"My dream is that we put an end to cancer.....that people take control of their life choices seriously and take preventive measures to avoid this terrible disease.

Until that happens, my dream as a doctor is to be allowed to put to use a new approach to cancer that is genomic based and actually available right now. It's frustrating to have the technology and medications available and not be allowed to use them because of bureaucratic control. Many doctors could be using these advancements and saving human lives now. It can only change if the American people get involved; if there are many of us protesting, then we could promote the change.

I dream for all doctors to have more freedom to practice medical art and use our discoveries to help people. This is why we became doctors; this is why I became a doctor. If medicine was not ruled by bureaucrats and lawyers, then we would have the freedom to move forward and win the war on cancer. If not, we'll be waiting for another forty years for orthodox medicine to catch up.

It can be done, it should be done. People should understand that bureaucrats, lawyers and big business should be removed from controlling medicine Doctors should be allowed to utilize protocols and medications that will help people and be able to honor our oath, "Do no harm."

LLL6521

Federal Agencies have more power than politicians

Barb,

For the first time in history. Federal Agencies have surpassed the power of both houses. All done purposely, and the agencies have run off with it like a runaway train grabbing as much power as they can. That is their primary goal to grab as much power and grow as an entity.
All of this was done purposely to circumvent Congress and creating rogue executive agencies. It was the President who said, “We can’t wait for Congress to do its job. So where they won’t act, I will. We’re going to look every single day to figure out what we can do without Congress.”

Our government was designed to represent the People with elected officials and a balance of power. It's not happening!!!