Glaucoma

Pat Chronister

Pioneer Member
I have a Dec 6 date for umbilical cord stem cell treatment in Mexico. This is for COPD. Today, my opthalmologist tells me I have the beginning of glaucoma in right eye and has prescribed drops twice a day. I hope to speak with Dr. F. to see if he feels the stem cells may also help the eye nerve. Do any of you know someone who has received treatment for glaucoma? Pat Chronister

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I only know of a forum member who received umbilical cord stem cell for COPD and also macular degeneration. He is now able to read and drive at night which he hadn't been able to do for years. I think the best thing to do is to talk to the doctor. Did you use steroids a lot? I know glaucoma is a side effect of prednisone use. Let us know what you find out.

Pat Chronister

Pioneer Member
glaucoma

My ?OPD stem cell treatment is Dec. 6. I asked Dr. F. if stem cells wiil help glaucoma (I was diagnosed two weeks ago). He said research is being done for macular degeneration, but he had no information on Glaucoma.
Pat Chronister

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Pat - This is disappointing news for you I am sure. Hopefully, they will have some clinicals or something that is accessible for you in the future. The articles Harv posted do seem to point to adult stem cell therapy possibly doing some good. If in the future, this is something you could get to help your glaucoma, know that it cannot do anything but give your stem cell treatment you have planned for December a boost. Thanks for sharing your information with us.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
An eye on the news

Good article Zar. Again, it appears that adult stem therapy, not umbilical cord is going to be beneficial for glaucoma. You never know though. I am not sure if anyone knows of all the benefits and little extras we get when we get stem cell therapy, be it umbilical or adult, for our diseases. Rose, for instance, got umbilical cord stem cell therapy for COPD and is now pain free from her arthritis.

zar

glaucoma(trial)mexico

IOPtima, which is developing a laser-based technology to treat glaucoma, also expects to reach major milestones in the next 12 months. The company plans in December to begin a clinical trial in Mexico, which will expand to include major opthalomology centers in the US and Europe in early 2008. IOPtima expects its therapy to become the gold standard for glaucoma, a $3 billion market that currently encompasses both medications and surgery. ``Medications are not always efficacious, and often fail due to poor patient compliance , as two or three different types of eye drops need to be taken permanently two or three times a day,`` says Joshua Degani, IOPtima`s CEO, pointing out that he expects IOPtima`s non-penetrating technology to overcome the risk of infections and other complications associated with the common invasive glaucoma surgery.

http://www.bioisrael.com/Homeinc_coverstoryDetails.asp?Id=112

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
And it promises not to take 10 years!

Zar - You never cease to amaze me with all the great articles and information you provide for the forum. This is some outstanding news. Glaucoma is something that long time steroid users have to watch for so to me this is not just an eye problem, but a problem for COPD patients as well as anyone else who is put on long time steroid use. You get the gold star today.

Jane

Zar...what wonderful news. So much is happening in the field of stem cells. I just wonder how loooooong it will take for the insurance companies to realize that it would be to their advantage to pay for these treatments. Thank you for your dilligence.

hlichten

Super Moderator
...I just wonder how loooooong it will take for the insurance companies to realize that it would be to their advantage to pay for these treatments...

Getting insurance companies to pay for stem cell treatments is truly the last step in the process. USA insurance companies would never, ever pay for treatments outside of the USA. First, there needs to be FDA approval for certain stem cell treatments for certain conditions. Once these treatments are available in the USA and are not considered "experimental", then insurance companies will be forced to pay for treatments. Unfortunately, testing will be done and documented, and there will be FDA approval years before insurance companies pay for any treatment.

Last edited:

Jane

Zar, considering the US companies that are doing research, Baltimore and WA, one of which is fast tracking with FDA approval that it should be sooner rather than later before we can expect something positive here. I do understand that Insurance companies will hold out but they have to wake up and realize that given the results people are having that they should get on the boat. I won't however, hold my breath.