Geezer gets first copd stem cell treatment

HERBINCANTON

Flew to Tampa, Fla on 10/27/13 for a 3 day autologous treatment at the Lung Inst. by Dr Feinerman. Protocol was similar to those mentioned here before by others. Arrived at 9AM at the clinic and did a family health history first. Then, I went into a neat operational room and had a sizeable container of blood drawn by the clinician. This was taken to the lab and the stem cells were separated out. They combined them in a saline solution and then used the same IV in my arm to return the stem cells in solution. Very efficient and relatively painless. Then I got a nebulizer treatment of glutathione and retinoic acid plus a shot of Endothelial Growth factor. This entire program took until noon and was repeated two more mornings, a total of 3 treatments.
Tampa is a nice town and getting treatments done by noon gave my son and me plenty of time to explore the sights and sample the restaurants. The convenience of the hotel having a shuttle that took me to the clinic or ferried us anywhere downtown for free was super.
My take home medication list provided a prescription for a neb and Albuteral plus they set up the prescription for glutathione via neb to be delivered from a Florida compounding pharmacy, who have been excellent so far. The balance of the meds was to continue with my Dulea inhaler and Daliresp. Dr. F
also prescribed taking some supplements as part of this protocal. Steemtrition, Mitochondrial Energy Stimulator, DNA Protection, and LivLong Telomerase which I started taking 4x daily 2 weeks before I had the treatment. The others I ordered and started taking the week after I go home. These can all be conveniently ordered from Seachange whose service is excellent.
My last treatment in Fla was on10/30/13. I started the supplements on 11/5/13. I didn't start the Glutathione neb until 11/9/13.
I felt average in Tampa but had to call the attendant on the plane for oxygen on the way home to Boston, a 3 hour flight. I had decided to stretch my legs and only walked down 15 or 20 steps when the sob hit me. I have not been on oxygen yet so this event was disconcerting.
I understand that Dr. F varies his protocols so I listed mine for comparisons.
I have been feeling average this year which means I'd get sob if I carry something up a flight of stairs or walk too fast. However, the last two weeks I have gotten noticebly more sob and my coughing and mucous productioon have jumped. I did not expect to get worse. Ergo, I am getting upset. Today is 1/1/14and I am about 8 weeks away from when I started nebbing the glutathione, and 9 weeks from when I got my stem cell treatment.
I will be calling Dr. F hopefully next week but I really am not sure aboout my next step. Any ideas?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
You should not be getting more sob and coughing more as a result of the treatment, especially after this many weeks. What many patients often forget is that we are still vulnerable to respiratory problems just as we were prior to treatment. You may have an infection of some sort. It is wise to talk to the treating doctor or your own doctor to nip whatever it is in the bud.

Vancouverman

hello geezer,

you can fly and have enough money? If I were you, then I would get your own stem cells taken out from the lung, let it multiply in a lab. And then get it injected back in IV, as it is described in some animal studies...:D

There were already some promising studies done on sheeps with emphysema. They were in remission of emphysema. Meaning, cured. Not completely, because treatment was only one-shot. But it was regenerative. And they took tissue out of the lung (if i remember correctly by bronchoscopy) and then multiplied it in the lab, and injected it back.

I assume by drawing some blood from a artery and "extracting" stem cells from that sample in a lab is simply not evough.

I doubt that there are any significant amount of stem cells in the peripheral blood.

But I dont know. Lets see. and hope that you feel better...

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Vancouverman - Let's be realistic. Where are patients supposed to find the treatment you describe even if they can fly?

I had a peripheral blood treatment from Dr. Feinerman and did quite well using the complementary therapies along with the stem cell treatment. I also believe acupuncture can be quite helpful. I did have 3 peripheral blood treatments a few years ago using a different protocol (Dr Henry Young's, who is now named in a medical malpractice lawsuit and they did not produce anything.)

The situation with Geezer is that many weeks later he is coughing and short of breath. I don't see a correlation between that and the stem cell treatment he received. Patients need to continue with their normal vigilance against this disease. Stem cells are not a protection from respiratory ailments.

Bill Cole

Hello Herb,
Having been a lurker here for this last year, and a geezer also, I felt that I should probably reply to your post. I normally don't post on this or other forums for various reasons, but because this great forum has been so enlightening and life is such a crap shoot I feel that my experience should be related to others.
I decided to seek treatment for my condition based entirely on the information and member's replies from primarily this forum.
Herb, I had the same treatment as you did from Dr. F. except in my case only the Stemtrition was recommended. I flew back in the middle of Sept. for my treatments and I am just now starting on my 4th mo of nebulizing. I was told in Tampa that if there was any improvement that I wouldn't notice it for several months with the fourth month being the 'plateau'.
I was told I had c.o.p.d. seven or eight years ago and have had O2 at the house for the last three. From having a very active life style to very limited over the last 2 yrs has been a bummer and it was (no surprise) getting worse. Hence the decision to make an appt. in Tampa was a no-brainer. I went back with the attitude 'if I can just maintain' at this level, I'd be satisfied and I felt I had to at least 'try' something other than maintenance drugs that the Dr.s prescribe.
Well after the first week home, my life started to change. Its hard to explain except I had more energy. I thought that it was the medication maybe but I was/am able to do things I couldn't do in August. Also another noticeable diff is I am only using O2 at night now. I live at sea level but within 45 min. in three directions I'm at 4 - 7 ths ft altitude and usually required oxygen but 2 days ago I'm at apprx 4 ths ft and walking around for a couple hrs and no O2 required. In November I was at the same location and had to have O2.
I still have major limitations with any strenuous exertions but for me this is a step in the right direction and I'm cautiously optimistic that I will stay at this level. If not, maybe adipose treatment from Dr. Grossman is in my future.
Cheers...

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Bill - I am glad you have decided to post and not just lurk. We truly enjoy member participation as we all can learn from it. I'm thrilled to hear that you have had improvement after your treatment.

HERBINCANTON - Have you tried not using the glutathione for a day or so to see if it could be causing any of the sob or coughing? It can do that from time to time.

Also, for those not accustomed to the high altitude, Dr. Grossman is also going to be doing treatments in California where he is licensed as well as Colorado. He is part of the StemMD network which has doctors available now to treat patients in most states. This is especially good news for those unable to travel.