FOCUS Study - Open for new patients

Jane

The Sponsor is the National Heart Lung and Blood Inst. (NHIBU)
I can't seem to find the thread that I picked up a couple of days ago on this forum. It is a heart study using your own bone marrow cells and is being done at University of FLA., Vanderbilt, Cleveland Clinic, Minneapolis Heart Inst. Fnd. & Texas Heart. Fortunately, I copied everything off of the link and had what I needed to make calls.

Today, I received call backs from Vanderbilt and Cleveland Clinic about my qualifying for this study. Sounds promising as far as dis-qualifiers are concerned. I fall within the normal range for Critinine levels, also would not be disqualified by having a pacemaker/defibrillator also length of time from heart attack (3/3/08). All of the studies are open for new applicants. Since I live in PA, Cleveland Clinic would be within driving distance.

I am getting excited!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Jane - Please keep us up to date with this. I am excited for you too. I sure hope you can get into this trial. It sounds encouraging so far.

Jane

Stem Cell from bone marrow for knee

I just learned that a friend in San Francisco area has just had a knee injection of stem cells from her bone marrow. She is in hopes that this will eliminate the need for replacement. My doc said I had too much missing cartilage. I will find out where she had it done in CA.

Heart First.

Jane

Update

After a conversation with Cleveland Clinic this morning, it appears that Atrial Fib is a dis-qualifier. I do have an ICD. I still have to talk to my Cardiologist but think I am out of the running for this.

After reading the protocol and the number of times they will be in and out of the heart, especially if the product is a placebo is not very attractive to me at this time.

Jane

Update

I must say that both Vanderbilt and Cleveland Clinic have been very responsive with return calls and information.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Jane - Thanks for filling us in. From what you are telling us, it sounds like a boot camp for heart patients. I think many could withstand the rigors if they knew they were not getting a placebo, but I'm with you in that it sounds awfully invasive and difficult to go through all of that with the possibility that you may not receive the real deal.

Jane

Jane - Thanks for filling us in. From what you are telling us, it sounds like a boot camp for heart patients. I think many could withstand the rigors if they knew they were not getting a placebo, but I'm with you in that it sounds awfully invasive and difficult to go through all of that with the possibility that you may not receive the real deal.
That is the nature of Clinical Trials. Some get the real deal and some don't and you never know. In some cases, if you got the placebo they will turn around and give you the real product but I don't think often. This is the reason we must get access in this country in less than the estimated 5-10 range. Some of us just can't wait that long. I am lucky that even though my E.F. is 28 I am still able to lead a full life as long as I carve out some rest time. Some days I can go from morning to night with no problem but them must take a day off. But, them we all must do that from time to time. I am still taking the Stem Enhance daily in small amounts (because of the Vit. K) and I think that helps my energy level and maybe my heart as well.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I have noticed that some clinicals lately are non placebo which would make the clinical far more attractive to most patients. Otherwise, you are being asked to do so much for the possibility of nothing and that's very difficult when a person isn't feeling up to par. I am glad to hear that you are holding your own.

I believe you mean Stem Cell Advance and not Stem Enhance as Stem Cell Advance does contain Vitamin K. I too am a believer in that it gives me more energy and helps to keep my own stem cells circulating and doing their job.

Jane

Stem Enhance

Stem Cell Advance is what I am taking. It has 40 mg. I have taken both and they all have the Vit. K which you have to watch if you are on a blood thinner. Wish I could take more. Stem Enhance does not list it on their product but a disclaimer if you are on blood thinners.

I will keep looking for a trial that does not give a placebo.