Flying with Pulmonary Fibrosis

VirginiaJenkins

HI,

My mother is 77 and has had Pulmonary Fibrosis for about 10 years. She was doing ok until last June when she got some type of lung infection or pneumonia (the doctors still are not sure what is was). She was in the hospital for 10 days and a rehab for 10 more. It really took her down and took several months to get back up on her feet. Since then the coughing has gotten worse and she is more out of breath. But she is still active and even goes to the gym. But clearly she is more frail and can not due the things she used to do. We have booked a trip to Florida. It is a 2 1/2 hour flight. I am a bit nervous about her flying since I heard that the oxygen level on the plane is lower. We have been told about oxygen concentrators that we can rent if she has any problems on the plane. I'm really kind of nervous about something going wrong up there in the air. I'd like to get some feedback from some people here on whether she should make the trip. I have tried to search the web for info. Some sites say flying should be ok, others say it can have side effects afterwards.
If she had shortness of breath, for example, do the oxygen concentrators really help? If you have any opinions on the matter, please reply. Or if you have PF and fly, I would really like to hear from you. I'm worried that by flying she may get ill or cause some kind of problem. My brother who is a doctor says we should go but have the equipment ready if there is a problem on the airplane. Also, does anyone recommend a place to rent the oyygen concentrators for cheap. One place wants $400 to rent it for 10 days.

Any help will be apprecited.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:
http://www.huff-n-puff.net/newforum/viewtopic.php?t=4790&sid=89a45553895c69637eb4f6f4fc152d5e
Blockchain Business Opportunities

Thank you.

Gene

In my view a 2 1/2 hour flight should not impose much risk. I have had IPF for 11+ years and I leave next Tuesday on a flight to Rome. My real concerns are catching a cold or whatever on the flight and then struggling with it for weeks thereafter.