Flu jab

anney_uk

Last Thursday I had the 'flu injection and on the Saturday, came down with the worst cold I have ever had. My doctor advised that I used my reserved antibiotics and also used the Seretide four times a day instead of two.

This is very disappointing as I had been noting improvements after using the Powerlung and am now back, worse than before. Of course, it may be nothing to do with the 'flu injection and it could be coincidence but it has put me off ever having one again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Anney

hlichten

Super Moderator
It is a coincidence. Despite what anyone will tell you, a flu shot is not going to give you the flu. All it does is cause you to build up antibodies against the flu. There are many "colds" that are not the flu.

As for antibiotics...
If you DID have the flu, the flu is a viral infection, not a bacterial infection. Antibiotics won't do ANYTHING to fight a viral infection. The only thing you can do with a viral infection is to let it run its course. In the case of flu (which is also a viral infection) you can take Tamiflu to try to lessen the symptoms and shorten the episode.

The reason that doctors prescribe antibiotics for a viral infection is not to treat the virus, but to "cover" for a secondary bacterial infection that might occur due to decreased immunity toward a bacterial infection. Almost all doctors do this. If you call or see a doctor they want to make you feel like they are doing something by giving you a prescription drug. After all, if you went to see them and they gave you nothing many people would feel cheated somehow.

Anyhow, that is why doctors give antibiotics for viral infection. Sad but true. Of course, you could get a secondary bacterial infection, and then you would be "covered". The downside of using antibiotics is that your beneficial flora in your intestines get killed, which affect your digestion, and give you yeast and fungal infections as a bonus prize! Isn't that nice???

Doctors will ask you questions like what color stuff you are coughing up to try to distinguish between a virus and bacterial infection. Certain colors will indicate a bacterial infection, and then an antibiotic MAY BE the right choice. The best overall choice for antibiotics in general is to take them as infrequently as possible.

So, sorry to be long winded, but the flu shot can't give you the flu. Of course you could have the flu if you were exposed to the flu around the time you got the shot, since the shot would not have had time to work.

No, I am not a Dr.

Harv

Last Thursday I had the 'flu injection and on the Saturday, came down with the worst cold I have ever had. My doctor advised that I used my reserved antibiotics and also used the Seretide four times a day instead of two.

This is very disappointing as I had been noting improvements after using the Powerlung and am now back, worse than before. Of course, it may be nothing to do with the 'flu injection and it could be coincidence but it has put me off ever having one again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Anney

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Just a coincidence

Anney - I know what Harv says is true but I got so sick one year the day after I got my shot that I vowed I would never ever get another one. Then I realized that it probably was not a reaction from it and as sick with COPD as I used to be, I decided I had better continue to get them. I am going this Saturday. My grandmother died in the flu epidemic in the U.S. in 1918. I do not want the flu.

anney_uk

Harv - thank you for your explanation. In my case, I cannnot agree with your stance against antibiotics. I am very old with a FEV1 of 15% and have been in hospital four times with severe chest infections following colds.
Two months ago, my mother died in hospital from C. Diff. This is rife in UK hospitals, as is MRSA and now a new horror GRE is making an appearance.

Weigh the possibility of these life-threatening illnesses against your list of the effects of antibiotics. No contest, to my mind. I would point out that I rarely take antibiotics but in this case, I feel they were indicated and they have helped me.

Barbara - thank you. I have a year to think about the next flu injection.

Anney

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Anitbiotic overload

Anney - I think when you get back to feeling better, your progress will continue with the PowerLung. There is merit to the overuse of antibiotics creating superbugs, however, when you have an infection that can be helped by antibiotics and you have COPD, I think there is really no alternative. If a person doesn't take quick action, it can easily lead to pneumonia and this in turn tears you down even more which makes you more susceptible to the next bug that shows up. It is a fast track to nowhere when you constantly get infections that compromise your pulmonary system. My lungs are so scarred from a constant go round of respiratory ailments, that if it weren't for stem cell therapy, I would be continuing to lose more lung function. I have gotten major lung infections for the last several years. This year I feel very healthy and I truly believe I will not have this problem. Some people use antibiotics for the slightest sniffle or toe stub. I do not think you sound like this type of person and I can understand where you are coming from as I have been there. Get feeling better very soon!